Tips for oils that are not coconut.

Options
Okay, okay, I'll admit it.....I hate coconut. Can't stand the taste at all! This goes for coconut oil too, which, even though I have had people tell me "oh but you can't taste it when it's in other foods!" ..yes, yes, I can. This stinks because it is so very good for you, I know. How can I get around this? Is there one that maybe has a less coconut taste? Or a way of disguising said taste? Do I just butch up and eat it anyway? Is there another oil I can use that is good for me? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Ditto dan just posted a recipe that uses cocoa butter -perhaps that would work? I know how it is to hate a food. I detest onions and can find and pick them out of anything.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Ive heard good things about avocado oil for many things you'd use coconut oil in. Hopefully someone will have some good ideas here.

I know butter, ghee, cocoa butter, walnut oil, avocado oil, etc can all be used instead of coconut oil depending on the recipe. Obviously use solid fats like butter, ghee, etc when you need a more solid form of coconut oil and use walnut, avocado oil, etc when you need a more liquid substitute for coconut oil.
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ghee (clarified butter) is a good substitute for coconut oit. For the best quality use grass-fed butter.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oooo I'm glad you asked this because I have the same problem!! I made fat bombs that had coconut oil and had to give them all to my husband... I couldn't take the coconut taste. These are great substitutions!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I use nutiva brand, stuff doesn't taste like anything. Not coconut at all, honestly I'd be hard pressed to tell it from something like vegetable oil.
  • mielepiel
    mielepiel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You also have odorless and flavourless coconutoil! I really dislike the taste as well... so I bought the odorless one from royal green... but there are loads of other ones too!
    I heard/read coconutoil is really good cuz you can heat it high, without it releasing any toxins and cuz it has some short fatty acids or something and thats why it is used for fuel right away instead of storing it in the liver for later. That kind of oils is called MCT (or something close to that), you should google the details for youself... they are a bit fuzzy

Srry for the bad english haha
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Have you tried MCT oil? It has less coconut in it
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the one brand I got at the farmers market. It very much tastes like coconut.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Okay, okay, I'll admit it.....I hate coconut. Can't stand the taste at all! This goes for coconut oil too, which, even though I have had people tell me "oh but you can't taste it when it's in other foods!" ..yes, yes, I can. This stinks because it is so very good for you, I know. How can I get around this? Is there one that maybe has a less coconut taste? Or a way of disguising said taste? Do I just butch up and eat it anyway? Is there another oil I can use that is good for me? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Its simple. You bought the wrong one. I made this mistake over and over at the first of this diet. Here is how it works. If you buy un-refined oil, it has a strong taste of the base material. Un-refined means they pressed the oils out and sold it. It usually has the words, "Organic" or "Virgin" on it. This applies to the following oils:

Coconut (Buy refined version)
    Cocoa Butter (Buy refined version)
    Olive Oil (Purchase the "Extra Light" tasting version)
    Butter (Ghee or clarified butter has less taste.)

If you buy the refined versions, the taste is nearly gone or completely gone. For example, Cocoa butter has both versions. The refined version has a hint of Cocoa. Coconut oil from LouAna's is tasteless. Zero zilch nada taste of coconut. That's the one you want to buy. Its the cheapest when comparing to un-refined. About 1/2 the cost. You can get a 30 oz container for $7.50, and it will last you weeks, maybe a couple of months. You can cook/fry with it, make fat bombs. Sometimes I melt it and dip my steak into it.

qus23bv9g3h6.jpg

I once made some homemade mayo with "Virgin Olive Oil", it was so nasty, I threw it out. I did the same with Coconut oil, I cooked some eggs in it... blectk! :p gag me with a spoon... threw them out too.

So go to the store and buy the right kind and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Thanks Dan. You rock!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Oh, if you try it, please report back to us...thank you...

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Ditto dan just posted a recipe that uses cocoa butter -perhaps that would work? I know how it is to hate a food. I detest onions and can find and pick them out of anything.

Cocoa butter is not coconut, just FYI. It's....cocoa...aka chocolate.
    I've only tried the one brand I got at the farmers market. It very much tastes like coconut.

That's unrefined coconut oil. The "odorless, flavorless" kind is refined coconut oil.

As for substitutes, that depends on what benefits you're looking for. If you're just looking for another fat, then there's a dozen different option -- the fats are pretty interchangeable, especially if you trade solid for solid (coconut oil for butter or lard) and liquid for liquid (avocado oil for walnut or macadamia).

If you're looking for the benefits unique to coconut oil, then you're much harder pressed to find a substitute. Coconut oil is one of the few rich sources of Lauric acid and medium chain triglycerides. For that, you need coconut oil.

Now, the question of whether refined is worse than unrefined is a bit up in the air. Some of the phytonutrients and antioxidants are destroyed in the refining process. Additionally, a lot of sources use harsh chemicals to refine it. However, the bulk of the benefit of coconut oil is the fat itself, which is the same in both types (just make sure you get it from a trusted source, like Tropical Traditions, to avoid the nasty refining chemical crap).
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Update: I did find a brand of coconut oil that has no taste or smell! I am quite happy with it. Thank you all for your help as I had no idea there was more than one kind.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Which brand?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mine is LouAnn's. It is refined. Any refined one should not have the taste or smell of coconut.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Yep, I found the same brand! I am using my other jar to mix with a bit of vanilla and the tub of sugar I no longer use but couldn't bring myself to throw out. Voila! Home made sugar scrub!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    That sugar scrub sounds wonderful. Might treat myself to that tonight.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    I use a quarter cup of coconut oil, to a half a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. I may put ground coffee in as well, as it's supposed to have a nice effect in the skin. I imagine it looks a fright in the shower though!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I once made some homemade mayo with "Virgin Olive Oil", it was so nasty, I threw it out. I did the same with Coconut oil, I cooked some eggs in it... blectk! :p gag me with a spoon... threw them out too.

So go to the store and buy the right kind and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I hope this helps,

I made Jimmy Moore's keto mayo with half coconut and hated it too - ruined my prawn cocktail! I don't mind coconut taste normally but gross in mayo.
    -

Re virgin olive oil mayo - imo, that's what mayo is supposed to taste like: all these processed mayos using rapeseed (canola in US???) oil have perverted our tastebuds! But I like olive oil - not everyone does :lol:

When I want to cook something that I don't want to taste of coconut I quite often use Coconut butter - doesn't taste of coconut oil at all.

Hope that helps!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I use a quarter cup of coconut oil, to a half a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. I may put ground coffee in as well, as it's supposed to have a nice effect in the skin. I imagine it looks a fright in the shower though!

i'd be tempted to eat it!