Women: How do you feel about bike overnights?

Options
catcaperello
catcaperello Posts: 7 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Hey y'all!

I've been a member of the MFP community for years, but have only really posted on the board occasionally. In my life, I've lost about 100lbs and riding a bike has been a primary component of my losing-weight/finding fitness journey.

I'm wondering if there are other women out there who want to do a bike overnight or mini-tour, but aren't doing it for one reason or another. I'd love to connect with you - what scares you? What is appealing? Why haven't you tried it? What's going on? or NOT going on?

I want to hear your story!!! I want to connect with you!!

Let's chat here

~Cat

Replies

• dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What is a "bike-overnight" am I totally naïve here???? Please explain
  • TianaHll
    Options
    One of the things that keeps me from doing overnights is my fitness. All the campgrounds close to me are up a mountain. So I need to work at that. I also have young children. So it not easy to get away. I have thought of the girls and I riding our bikes to a local hotel with a swimming pool and overnight there.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure of what a bike overnight is but I'm assuming it's a long ride with a group that you sleep and then restart? I am extremely afraid of riding in groups, so that shuts me down right there. I love cycling and I love going the distance but riding in groups freaks me out almost as much as being picked last in gym class.

I have considered packing up and riding an overnight trip alone, though. Maybe some day my Love will decide he wants to road bike and come too
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    The only overnight ride I've done was for the MS150. We "camped" after the first day, but it was heavily supported and I didn't have to carry gear on my bike.

I think overnight bike trips would be awesome! I also ride a motorcycle and love overnighters with my DH on our motorcycles. Unfortunately, he doesn't ride bicycles.

@LifeInTheBikeLane I was apprehensive about group rides too, until I found a girls group. I love riding with the girls!

@TianaHll The more hills you ride, the easier they get. Maybe you could have someone take the kids and meet you at whatever place you plan to stay the night.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I do RAGBRAI--7 days across Iowa with 10,000 plus riders. I cannot stand to rough it though so I always make sure to have hotel rooms around the route.

@LifeInTheBikeLane - have you thought about joining a cycling club. That is where I started with group riding and then built up from there. Many clubs have all different type of rides and riders.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sadly my town is not very cyclist friendly and there are no groups. There is one about an hour away but it is all college students who pedal around the downtown sidewalks. I've been searching but then get discouraged and panic half way through the search!! Maybe some day.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I do RAGBRAI--7 days across Iowa with 10,000 plus riders. I cannot stand to rough it though so I always make sure to have hotel rooms around the route.

Jenn, I really want to do RAGBRAI one year, definitely on my bucket list.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    veloman21 wrote: »

Jenn, I really want to do RAGBRAI one year, definitely on my bucket list.

One of my friends does RAGBRAI every year. I'd like to do that. Maybe some day. (Main thing is convincing my husband that I need to take a week off work with no pay, pay to ride, pay all the expenses, etc.)
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do an overnight or multi day trip. Before it would've been a matter of fitness, but I feel I'm up for the challenge now. I don't feel comfortable doing something like that by myself and am having trouble finding others who want to do it with me. And like winter further north, it's rather miserable to ride during the day here from May-Oct so I lose out when people seem to have more time. I'd really like to do the LOST trail around Lake Okeechobee.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'd love to bike the Pacific Coast someday--Seattle down to LA-ish. It's #3 on what some people call their bucket list (I think of it as my "so much to live for" list since I have a habit of wanting to do awesome things more than once).

Now, to find two months' unpaid leave and a partner to swap taking pictures of along the way. :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    My ideal biking extravaganza would be for a driver to pull/drive the fully equipped RV, set it all up, do all the food cooking, do all the washing of stinky bike clothes, fix/repair/upkeep my bike(s), and come fetch me when the bike breaks and/or if too much of headwind. Anyother riders along the road would be keeping my pace and out of my way. lol
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My boyfried is training for Ragbrai this year. What "scares" me about an overnighter or multi-nighter like that is my dislike of roughing it. I'm not a huge fan of tent camping (RV with running water - I'm there!). Otherwise, I think it would be a blast!!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Before I was a cyclist I was a camper and backpacker. I did my first multi-day trip last year but all the gear was transported for us. I did still sleep in a tent every night but it wasn't exactly roughing it (nice, grassy school fields). In June I'll be doing my first fully self supported bikepacking trip. I could not be more excited. Fat biking the White Rim Trail is on my bucket list. I'd also love to do the Pacific coast. And the San Juan islands...I could go on and on. Sure wish I didn't have to work for a living.

• BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been doing bike tours of some sort (supported, semi supported, credit card, self contained) for years. It is a great way to see the country. I have bicycled in 19 states (some states repeatedly) and 4 Canadian provinces.

There are many options out there if you don't care for roughing it. All in all I prefer the smaller rides where you can get to know a core group of people. My favorite rides so far have been in the 3-16 person range.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    dolcezza72 wrote: »
    What is a "bike-overnight" am I totally naïve here???? Please explain

This will give you a general overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_touring. Adventure Cycling also is a great resource for those who like to vacation on their bicycle.

• Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    In the UK there are several FNRTTC (Friday Night Ride to the Coast) They set off at about 10:00pm and cycle through the night to get to the coast at about dawn for a breakfast in a café.

As an alternative there are Audax rides. These are all around the globe, and are none competitive events that combine route finding and endurance. Starting at 50 km and going up, there is an event for everyone. For those over the pond the big event in the US is the Boston, Montreal, Boston, in about 4 days.

Warning Audax is very addictive.

An Addict.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would love to go on overnight bike rides with a group. I am fairly slow still and so I don't ride with a group. Also working full time and having a young one means that I don't really get to do overnights by myself.
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would really love to do a long trip sometime soon and camp out. I'd have to go alone because i dont have any bike buddies who'd be interested. I want to get in better shape before i do long miles 2 or more days in a row. I'm not afraid of camping alone. I did some hitch hiking after i graduated high school and spent nights on the beach or in national parks alone. Bad things happen a lot less than most people feel like i think.

As far as bicycling over night if thats what you meant; i bike at night all the time. The other night i went out from 1am-2:30 on a ride and a few days ago i left my house at 4:30am for a ride. I think it may actually be safer on the roads late at night at least around here. I light myself up like a christmas tree of course and carry pepper spray.
  • twofastdogs
    twofastdogs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done the Katy Trail? We have thought about taking a few days to ride it - sounded like it would be a pleasant ride.

Sybillabryson, look at cibaride.org. They have some multi-day trips that involve camping, mostly in state parks.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done the Katy Trail? We have thought about taking a few days to ride it - sounded like it would be a pleasant ride.

Katy is on my list. I've heard great things about it. We just did the Mickelson in June and it was fantastic. It was supposed to be a 4 nighter out and back, but because of rain it turned into a 2 nighter out. My bf and I are trying to find the time to do a quick overnight on the Colorado Trail but rain is an issue with that too. Next summer we are doing the Colorado Super Loop. 224 miles around the mountains on gravel, road and single track.