Claire8614
Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
But I would love to start running,might be something I could enjoy

Any advice would be great x

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Read the advice posts on what to do before you start.
    Start the program.
    Run slower.
    Run even slower.
    Progress through program.
    Complete program.
    Discover love of running. :)

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think the key question is, what is it about running that you think you'll love? Difficult to say beforehand, and different for everyone.

As above, follow the programme, let it grow on you.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Read the advice posts on what to do before you start.
    Start the program.
    Run slower.
    Run even slower.
    Progress through program.
    Complete program.
    Discover love of running. :)

QFT.

I HATED running when I started. Or so I thought... :smile:
  • MegRenee059
    MegRenee059 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, did I hate running. I decided one day, last June, that I was done. I signed myself up for a 5K a few months away and downloaded the C25K app. I started on the treadmill. The first 3-4 weeks were the WORST. I won't sugar coat it. I had a hard time running even 2 minutes. I was so close to just saying "screw it" to the whole thing and then one day, I said "screw it" to running inside on a treadmill and my world opened up. I started running outside and I actually WANTED to run. My problem with running is the boredom. I put together a playlist that gets me moving and I try to mix up my running routes to keep myself going. Another key for me was slowing down... a LOT. I hated running when I was pushing myself to go too fast, too soon.

My advice:
    --Stick with it
    --Listen to a good playlist that motivates you, and change it up
    --Once it warms up, get outside
    Until it warms up, if you have access to a treadmill, use the treadmill to work your way through the program. I loathe the treadmill, but usually my playlists will help me through that.
    --Go Slow
    --Go even slower than what you think slow is.
    --Take your time through the program if needed. I repeated weeks/days of the C25K program when I was feeling overwhelmed.
    --As you get used to running, find a reason to enjoy it.
    Need ideas? Ask around. My favorite thing about running is that I get lost in it. It's my escape. I put my earbuds in, and get out in the open and go into my own little world away from the stresses of real life. Also, it's a great way to burn calories. I also like the idea that if the Zombie apocalypse ever did happen, I could run a long distance if needed Lol. Some people like it because it can be competitive. Again, just ask around.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Need ideas? Ask around. My favorite thing about running is that I get lost in it. It's my escape. I put my earbuds in, and get out in the open and go into my own little world away from the stresses of real life. Also, it's a great way to burn calories. I also like the idea that if the Zombie apocalypse ever did happen, I could run a long distance if needed Lol. Some people like it because it can be competitive. Again, just ask around.

This! My reason varies from day to day. Some days, it's boring, sure, but some days I just need to get lost in my head. Also a great time to listen to audiobooks! I'm loving Amy Poehler's "Yes, Please" and I listened to all of the Serial podcasts while running. If you find something you enjoy and save it just for running, you'll look forward to your runs. :)
  • Claire8614
    Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, did I hate running. I decided one day, last June, that I was done. I signed myself up for a 5K a few months away and downloaded the C25K app. I started on the treadmill. The first 3-4 weeks were the WORST. I won't sugar coat it. I had a hard time running even 2 minutes. I was so close to just saying "screw it" to the whole thing and then one day, I said "screw it" to running inside on a treadmill and my world opened up. I started running outside and I actually WANTED to run. My problem with running is the boredom. I put together a playlist that gets me moving and I try to mix up my running routes to keep myself going. Another key for me was slowing down... a LOT. I hated running when I was pushing myself to go too fast, too soon.

My advice:
    --Stick with it
    --Listen to a good playlist that motivates you, and change it up
    --Once it warms up, get outside
    Until it warms up, if you have access to a treadmill, use the treadmill to work your way through the program. I loathe the treadmill, but usually my playlists will help me through that.
    --Go Slow
    --Go even slower than what you think slow is.
    --Take your time through the program if needed. I repeated weeks/days of the C25K program when I was feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. The main reason I thought it might be good was:

A new exercise
    A challenge
    Good calorie burn
    Aim to get fitter

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'll add that the endorphins (runners high) don't tend to kick in until you start to do the 15-20min+ continous sessions. I never understood the high until it happened on my first "long" continous session. Now get angsty if I don't get out.

Enjoy it
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Things I love:
    I get at least an hour of "me" time
    I listen to books while I run
    I can do it mostly anywhere
    Races are fun
    I feel like I've accomplished something, even if its just getting my exercise in

and....
    I've lost almost 50 pounds since starting

Run Slow follow a c25k program

• errantbehavior
    errantbehavior Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How slow is slow?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    How slow is slow?
    Slow is slow, changes for every person, and where they are with their training.

Previous training cycle 10min/mile was slow for me
    Current training cycle 12-13min/mile (or slower) is slow/average for me.

Easiest gauge of slow(enough) is the conversation test. If you can hold a conversation while running, without gasping/broken sentences you're probably going slow enough.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Claire8614 wrote: »
    But I would love to start running,might be something I could enjoy

Any advice would be great x

Get fitted for true " Running Shoes" at a specialty store and socks. Nothing worse than sore feet, blisters or injuries to the foot.

A link to the C25K group on MFP.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

A link to another post about starting to run.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I must agree with the general comments of multiple people after my own experience.
    Get 2 sets of shoes - A set of specialty Running shoes and a generic Cross Fit Trainer.

Swimming is my normal major exercise but they were doing a major maintenance rebuild so the pool was going to be closed for at least a month maybe two. So I took up the C25K program - using my generic trainers. What a painful frustrating experience - feet hurt - toes hurt - you name it and it hurt.
    Went to a sports store and did a gait analysis and then I tried on at least 8 pairs of shoes across different brands before settling on a pair. They even let me run on the treadmill with the shoes I was trying on.
    My running took off. I broke the general plan of C25K in that I went from a painful 1 km to a comfortable 2 km and in 2 weeks time I knocked off my first 5 km ( ~ 45 mins - but it was 5 km ). Invest in the good Running shoes now and it will pay off. In the end if you drop running they are still there as a good power walking shoe so you will use them.
    After reading the comment of MeanderingMammal where he said "I circulate three pairs of road shoes to minimise transition effects as well" this is something that I will do so off to the store to buy more shoes.

You should be able to carry on a conversation with a person running beside you without the gasping for air feeling. If you start to hurt while starting out you are going to fast. I have seen people comment about there slow run pace be the same as some of the people who were walking. Don't worry about the speed, put in the time, put in the kilometers/miles to improve cardio, strength and endurance and the speed will start to increase. Trust the C25K program, repeat days/weeks as required until you feel ready for the next level.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    omtywo4o6iwi.gif
    You have gotten some great advice! Run at a pace where you can have a conversation. Get fitted for good running shoes. Trust the program.
  • MissKissKins
    MissKissKins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm really liking some of the advice in here!
    I too hate treadmills... and gyms I just don't enjoy the atmosphere in them! And there's nothing to look at. Every time I go to do my run at my local gym I think "can I be bothered? I don't want to... it can wait until tomorrow can't it" then when I start, about halfway through I think "I'll stop in the next run I can't breathe" but then I persevere and viola! Run done! And I feel like I've achieved something.
    I think I will transition to going outside soon though I might enjoy it more I love being outdoors and in nature so hopefully that will help with my frame of mind!