Approx 22.5% body fat (female) and started heavy lifting

Options
fothers365
fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Hi,

I am 5'4'' and 61.5kg (135lb) and am approx 22.5% BF going by the us military calculator. I started heavy lifting around 1m ago (SL5x5).

waist 27, hips 36.

I am fairly 'muscley' anyway so have some quad definition at the front and sides when flexed, a bit of ab definition at the sides, biceps when flexed etc

I am doing well with that- squatting BW- 62.5kg, DL 70kg, rows 40kg, bench 35kg, OHP only 26.5kg. I am eating at around 500cals less than maintenance a day. I have a fitbit so it varies from day to day but I don't add extra calories for the weights. I also walk 6-8 miles most days.

I make sure I get my protein each day- normally aim for 115g.

My top half is thin as my fat is all in my butt/thighs

So, rambling post really, since I don't want to lost a ton of weight per se, should I up to more like maintenance and work on upping the strength gains and lowering BF that way now or continue to eat at a bit of a deficit but maybe a little smaller?

Any advice would be great :)

Replies

• fothers365
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A couple of images from the other day, sorry if they are massive. I don't have any of my legs at the moment.

atcbb1hbdutq.jpg
    jhkrx6rfe7d1.jpg
    LF.jpg 626.5K
    lf2.jpg 557.6K
  • fothers365
    Options
    Here are some from this afternoon. Not sure why the light is all funny in them and sorry they are sideways.

Any tips on whether to eat at a deficit still or switch to maintenance would be much appreciated.
    mu3uojpa6n7w.jpg
    gi2laa6vn4x8.jpg
    j89eg7lhhzxu.jpg
    697fppq2jx7w.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    SS and Sara can provide their more professional opinions but in my humble opinion I think it's just a matter of preference and goals at this point. You look great and if I were you I'd probably eat at maintenance or a slight surplus unless you're trying for a 6pack or something.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We have the same body type but you have less body fat than me. Your hamstrings look great! Nice inspiration for me ;)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I am at the same crossroads--23%BF, 137lbs. I still have fat I want to lose, but I also want to build muscle. I am not keen to lose anymore weight, so I am moving to a slight surplus ("clean/lean" bulk) to build the muscle first, then do the cut. That's my preference, you may decide otherwise (cut a little more first, then bulk).

I don't think there's a "right" answer. However, if you do choose to cut a little more, I do think that a 500 calorie deficit is a little too aggressive. 250 would do it. Just my opinion, based on the collective wisdom of of MFP.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I read your post but I'm not clear on what your goals are.

Can you define them?

Thanks!
  • fothers365
    Options
    Hi,

I want to gain strength mainly but also if I could lose some fat that would be a bonus.

I wasn't sure whether to eat at maintenance and try and recomp a bit while getting newbie gains from lifting heavy or whether I should eat at a deficit for longer?

Thanks!

• KelicoFit
    KelicoFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How long have you been in a deficit? Being in a caloric deficit for more than 12 weeks at a time can be detrimental to your metabolism. I would suggest eating maintenance calories for at least 4-6 weeks before going back into deficit mode.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    KelicoFit wrote: »
    How long have you been in a deficit? Being in a caloric deficit for more than 12 weeks at a time can be detrimental to your metabolism. I would suggest eating maintenance calories for at least 4-6 weeks before going back into deficit mode.

What evidence are you basing this on? Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    KelicoFit wrote: »

What evidence are you basing this on? Thanks.

My question also.
  • fothers365
    Options
    For what it's worth I have only been eating at a deficit for the last 6w or so.

A couple of years ago after my 3rd baby I started with MFP and ended up at 55kg which in retrospect was too low for me. I think my bf was around 17% then and I was pretty skinny on the top half. I did have thin thighs for the first time ever though! I was a UK size 6 then which is too little for my frame size (fairly broad shoulders/biggish hands etc). I am a uk 8 now. In US I think that is a 6 or a 4?

I ate what I wanted for the next year (love food) and put some on. I started logging again after New Year and have dropped 2-3kg in that time.

I don't want to lose a deal more weight but work on strength. If I could lose a little bit of thigh fat though that would be amazing.

So, should I eat a small deficit or eat at maintenance. If I eat at maintenance do I just jump up or gradually increase over a couple weeks?

And yes, I love things evidence based, hence asking here rather than the main forum!

Thank you :)

• SideSteel
    Options
    What rate are you losing per week on average for the past 4 weeks?
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    To address the issue about being on a long term deficit can be detrimental - http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/

This article is about bulking but it includes some good info on why being in a long term has negative effects on metabolism. I don't think being in a deficit for 6 weeks is all that deferential though. That website has a ton of great info on it, by the way.

I ate at a deficit for 6 months and started eating at a calorie surplus. My lifts went way up, I felt great, and some of my loose skin improved (all totally awesome!).

It sounds to me like reverse dieting up to your maintenance would meet at least your short-term goals.
  • fothers365
    Options
    On the 12th Jan when I started logging again I was 64.5kg/26.9% BF using the military calculator. On 18th Feb I was 61.5kg/ 22.5%.

There were a few days in that period where I would have eaten at/above maintenance when we were at family events etc, the rest of the time about a 500kcal deficit roughly (1lb a week setting on mfp?). I started SL at the same time as logging.

I don't do any specific cardio but a lot of walking. I live in a town with very steep hills so a lot of that is uphill and pushing a buggy with a 3 year old in. I don't add cals to the fitbit to account for that or the SL.

Yesterday I decreased the deficit to the 0.3kg/week, 300kcal setting.

Thankyou
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To address the issue about being on a long term deficit can be detrimental - http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/

This article is about bulking but it includes some good info on why being in a long term has negative effects on metabolism. I don't think being in a deficit for 6 weeks is all that deferential though. That website has a ton of great info on it, by the way.

I ate at a deficit for 6 months and started eating at a calorie surplus. My lifts went way up, I felt great, and some of my loose skin improved (all totally awesome!).

It sounds to me like reverse dieting up to your maintenance would meet at least your short-term goals.

If you click through the link on that page, it addresses the topic more specifically:

http://strengthunbound.com/metabolism-a-practical-guide-for-dieters/

• fothers365
    Options
    That is amazing, thank you for the reply.

I will stick at the smaller deficit for the next period and go from there and take progress pics too.

Thank you again :)