Keto for Broke People

Options

Replies

• mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Do you have a big freezer? I buy my meat in bulk which saves some money. I have my own chickens but keeping them is more expensive than most supermarket eggs. What does save me money is growing my own spinach, lettuce, hwrbs etc and it doesn't take much room. also try asian shops for coconut oil and coconut cream.

Great advice! Thanks
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Find a youth/teen who breeds their own animals for fairs, if we have too many we'll private sale them to you for cheap and most of us totally get the im broke and just want to buy a few things situation, our paychecks come once a year.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Whenever I make chicken parm, I've always used breadcrumbs and parmesan together, but the texture is the same mostly between them. Also, I've made parmesan crusted tilapia, and it stuck with egg wash. Crisped up nicely with a butter drizzle during baking. I would imagine it is a transferable concept. Just remember when you use only parmesan instead of a mix, to not add extra salt...it's naturally that way...or season at the table. :)

And Wild Oats makes a great sauce that's only I think 3 carbs for half a cup of sauce. It is the Parmesan and Romano flavor.... I'm in love, and supposedly it is organic to boot.

thanks for the tips!
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    aggie2145 wrote: »
    An egg will be enough glue to hold it and it will give you more time to let the chicken cook before the spices burn.

thanks for the tips!

• totaloblivia
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Your chicken parmesan sounds great: how do you get the parmesan to stick? With egg?

...I'll let you know on Saturday or Sunday! I have a few things I might try if it won't just stick to moist chicken.

can't wait!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Or butterfly the breasts, put the cheese & spices on the inside, wrap in bacon and hold together with toothpicks.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Keith - I think you just came up with Monday's dinner to use the butterflied porkchops in the freezer! I was planning to put herbed chevre in them, but hadn't thought about wrapping them in bacon.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Dagnabbit. Anybody know of a cheap tuna that DOESN'T have soy in it?
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    ibetty55 wrote: »
    Um um. Fried Spam and eggs

Yup. I'll admit to being a Spam lover, too. ;-) I like to eat it BLT style...fried, slather w/ mayo, tomato slice and lettuce. Mmmmm...

And a blast from the path for any fellow Python lovers:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/anwy2MPT5RE?feature=player_detailpage&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    LOL i always hear Monty Python's spam, spam, eggs and spam skit in my head when people talk about spam.

I really need to try spam. It always turned me off all gel covered and greasy looking. But maybe it tastes like heaven? The fried spam with lettuce and mayo on a Flax seed muffin/bread sounds good.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    LOL i always hear Monty Python's spam, spam, eggs and spam skit in my head when people talk about spam.

I really need to try spam. It always turned me off all gel covered and greasy looking. But maybe it tastes like heaven? The fried spam with lettuce and mayo on a Flax seed muffin/bread sounds good.

It is kinda gnarly looking right out of the can, I'll give ya that. ;-) But fried up? Oh yeah. And it would be delish on flax bread, but is just as good in an iceberg lettuce wrap.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

I bought a Spam "single" - a slice in a foil package for under $1 at Walmart. No gel or grease. Tossed it into a frying pan, browned on both sides, cut it up and ate with a bit of dijon mustard to dip it in. It has a hammy salty flavor.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dan - I actually randomly decided to try Spam today. I'd never had it before. The scary thing is, as much as people rag on it...the ingredients were better than some of the ham steaks at the store! It's not bad.

Just the word SPAM has bad connotations from the e-mail thing. I hadn't eaten it since about 30 years ago (then the Fat demonization began). I don't eat it every day, its just like most foods, some days you have a hankering for something, and some days you don't. I like just a slice of cold Spam or in eggs (Like iBetty suggested).

It is really cheap meat and that's whats under consideration in this thread.

It even has a nice little tin can that I wash out and put knick nacks in....

Dan the Man from Michigan

• DittoDan
    Options

Ditto that. And you can't get it packed in oil anymore (more fat demonization). (I did see some in olive oil, but that's not the same as the original oil they used to put in it 30 years ago.)

• DittoDan
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    ibetty55 wrote: »
    Um um. Fried Spam and eggs

Yup. I'll admit to being a Spam lover, too. ;-) I like to eat it BLT style...fried, slather w/ mayo, tomato slice and lettuce. Mmmmm...

And a blast from the path for any fellow Python lovers:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/anwy2MPT5RE?feature=player_detailpage&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OMGosh! I loved it! LOL! :D I guess I never saw that one (I thought I had seen all of Monty Pythons Flying Circus' before.)

THANKS Tru3one for sharing!

• Twibbly
    Options
    Your chicken parmesan sounds great: how do you get the parmesan to stick? With egg?

It does stick with egg. I haven't baked it yet - half my chicken was still frozen, so I'm quick thawing it. Will report back after we eat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Kirkland "skipjack" tuna at Costco is a good value and soy-free.

• Twibbly
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Kirkland "skipjack" tuna at Costco is a good value and soy-free.

Food to know for the next time we're in a city with one.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Chicken turned out pretty awesome. I put cooling racks on the cookie sheets (and put foil on the cookie sheets -don't skip that step!). Chicken tenders were dipped in egg, then the Kraft parmesan in a green can mixed with Italian seasoning and a bit of salt, then put in cookie sheet. Baked for 55 minutes at 325F, then took out and put a thin layer of spaghetti sauce and grated mozzarella on top & stuck back under the broiler until the cheese started to brown. It did stick to the racks a bit, so I will probably spray down the racks before I do it again. Kids also approve. Hubby does now, but might not after he cleans the racks...
  • jeniann73
    jeniann73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have a dollar store in your area check there. We have dollar tree that sell farmer johns link sausage and armor pepperoni. I also so get salami, sugar free caramel syrup, pork rinds and reduced sugar Heinz ketchup. I always check the date. It has help with my budget. I don't spend money on organic and grass Fed unless it's cheaper or the same price. I prefer Tillamook unsalted butter over kerrgold. If it fits in my way of eating and falls in my budget that's all I worry about.