Black Bean Soup Variations

Options
I really like black beans and their versatility. I make a lot of black bean soup and usually it turns out about the same - carrots, celery, onion, tomato, and garlic simmered with black beans with black pepper, cumin, chili powder, and a little salt. I start with dry beans so I find that the texture is usually a little firmer than a canned black bean.

What else do you do for black bean soup? I try to stick with ingredients that are chemical-free, low sodium, and filling.

Replies

• Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've never had black bean soup, but I friggin love refried black beans. Maybe the refried beans ingredients I use can be turned into a type of soup: caramelized red onions, crispy bacon cut into bits, minced garlic, white pepper, black pepper, smoked chipotle powder, etc.

You could add pureed tomatoes to your soup to give it a more tart heartier taste if you want to change it up. Or different types of peppers like mini sweet red/orange/yellow peppers or bell peppers.
  • Owenlemm
    Owenlemm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is a little different but sometimes I add the ingredients for soup but cut the liquid so that my beans are soft yet firm them we just toss them on tortillas (or lettuce for me) and eat the "soup" like a taco.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's not soup, but these black bean burgers are delicious, quick and easy: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-burgers-0. You can also keep all the ingredients on hand (except cilantro, but I just leave it out if I don't have it) so they are great for when you forget to plan dinner!