Leg cramps and dextrose in my magnesium

Options
melissa968
melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
I've been suffering from cramps from my ankles to my hips. I drink at least 80oz of water a day, take magnesium and potassium supplements, and eat lots of salt on my foods. I began researching the amount of magnesium I'm taking and discovered that not only is there a list of about 5 ingredients, but the first ingredient in my Spring Valley magnesium supplement is DEXTROSE! Why?? I'll be searching for a different supplement. It never occurred to me there would be sugar in any of my supplements.
Also, how much magnesium do you take?

Replies

• lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think the RDA is 400 mg. I take 800 mg. I'm going to check my supplements for additives, too.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Amazon sells magnesium citrate (more readily absorb-able) in bulk as a powder. This can be stirred into a beverage to consume, or I hear that you can buy empty gelatin capsules to fill and make your own supps. At least you know what you're getting that way.
  • WisconsinFlyAnglerGirl
    Options
    I started taking these before I started keto for er, um, regularity.
    Says they are free of sugar and a bunch of other additives. I take 400mg in the am and 400mg before bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Tablets/dp/B000BV1O26/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also take the Now Brand off amazon, 200 in am, 200 at bedtime
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I started taking these before I started keto for er, um, regularity.
    Says they are free of sugar and a bunch of other additives. I take 400mg in the am and 400mg before bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Tablets/dp/B000BV1O26/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

I weigh around 253 and have to take 800mg @ day. I take it just like you do. When I was taking it at 400mg @ day, I still got leg cramps in the morning while sleeping. I use Solgar Mag Citrate.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    Amazon sells magnesium citrate (more readily absorb-able) in bulk as a powder. This can be stirred into a beverage to consume, or I hear that you can buy empty gelatin capsules to fill and make your own supps. At least you know what you're getting that way.

Good to know. !! Thanks.
  • JojoBeales74
    JojoBeales74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take 500in the morning and 250 in the e evening, after I started taking it most of my family and friends do to and all sleep better and have less back pains.
    I get mine from Hollend and Barrett but I'm in England.
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I now know I definitely have not been taking enough. Also, now know to look at the ingredients in my supplements. Very sneaky to add sugar. I don't even see the point in adding sugar to a supplement.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Does Magnesium Citrate mitigate the "cleansing" side effects, versus the other more readily available type (can't recall what it is called, just that it is the one I have, and I took it three days before, and it cleaned me out...while i was sleeping. Nervous to take it too many times in a row now...).