Longer Term Success Stories

Options
Hi all - I'm sorry if this is already posted somewhere, but I couldn't figure out how to search the forum.

Can anyone speak to there longer term success story? Like, a year-ish or so? Pics?

I did Atkins a few years ago and got reinterested in ketogenic diets as helpful for anxiety. Theyre often used for epileptics with uncontrollable seizures, and seem to show a demonstratingly calming effect on the brain.

Curious to see if this works for people in the long haul!

Thanks!
JS

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Been at this for almost 500 days now.

da8c4dc2c143bb8a33c3ba5e782e4916989f.jpg

I plan on continuing until I die. Currently not trying to lose weight (although a few more kg would be nice). I have not raised my carbs. I will not raise my carbs. I eat well below any level considered ketogenic (average ~2g a day).

Note: First picture I am wearing an XL shirt. Second picture is a S/P shirt. First is probably well over 103 kg (225 lbs) and the second one is around 71 kg (155 lbs).
  • bananabeannn
    bananabeannn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You only eat 2 grams of carbohydrate a day? Are you getting enough vegetables? Not judging, just curious.

I'm currently at about 15-20g, like an atkins induction thing, but I'd like to eventually up it to like, 50. I just bought a ketone breath monitor and am waiting to receive it.

I only want to lose like, 15ish pounds. It feels so do-able.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    You only eat 2 grams of carbohydrate a day? Are you getting enough vegetables? Not judging, just curious.

I am most certainly not getting enough vegetables. I don't eat any. I don't eat anything from plants. My carbs come from eggs, cheese, and sometimes things like liver or seafood. I get 0 grams of fiber, as well.

Honestly, 7 kg is nothing. You can do that in no time.
  • bananabeannn
    Options
    Dude, how do you get vitamins and stuff?
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can be healthy without veggies.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    There are entire cultures that subsist on meat and animal products alone. They are quite healthy and hardy people. I couldn't do it, but it can be done.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dude, how do you get vitamins and stuff?

I get plenty of vitamins and "stuff" from meat. Meat is one of the most nutrient dense foods around. Those things that meat doesn't have (vitamin C for example) seem to be things that just aren't needed when you're not eating carbs. The nutrient requirements are almost certainly different for meat only eaters, and meat seems to provide the ones needed in ample amounts. I also take no vitamins or supplements, because that would just be overkill.
    jordanify wrote: »

We'll agree to disagree on this one. If you think you can't be healthy without veggies, then eat veggies. I'm certainly not someone who thinks everyone around could/should eat like I do. Vegetables are fine, if you like them.

This was a request for long(er)-term keto/low-carb success stories. I consider my journey a success. And, it demonstrates that you can stay at keto-level carb consumption for more than a year without issues.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Maybe because that's what you've been told? Keep an open mind and don't let the USDA and other government "authorities" dictate what is considered "healthy" for you and your body. Research the Inuit people and their diet. I am of the mind that our ancestry greatly impacts the optimal functioning of our bodies. I hail from Swedish/Eskimo people. No wonder I thrive on meat and fats. ;-)
  • tru2one
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    This was a request for long(er)-term keto/low-carb success stories. I consider my journey a success. And, it demonstrates that you can stay at keto-level carb consumption for more than a year without issues.

Goat: Cue your recent optimal bloodwork results...more supporting evidence. ;-)
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »

Maybe because that's what you've been told? Keep an open mind and don't let the USDA and other government "authorities" dictate what is considered "healthy" for you and your body. Research the Inuit people and their diet. I am of the mind that our ancestry greatly impacts the optimal functioning of our bodies. I hail from Swedish/Eskimo people. No wonder I thrive on meat and fats. ;-)

Yes! That's what I was referring to but forgot the name. Thank you.

• middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    not long term but over 6 months here with a couple of one day interruptions. I am where I wanted to be. happy about it and sticking to it. Lost 20th on Keto in about 4 months. Been more or less maintaining ever since. want to lose a bit more fat and gain some muscle so not really thinking about the scale as much.

I think one of the reasons so few people respond is because unlike @FIT_Goat‌ (by the way thank you for doing this) most people move on and leave the forums when they reach their goals. I left for like a month and now may check things once a week when I used to be on here 5 to 10 times a day.

• bananabeannn
    Options
    Interesting. I agree with the general brainwashing, I guess I would just need to see some reports or papers that show you can adequately obtain all the necessary vitamins and minerals from meat. It's just a novel concept. Thanks!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    It is not normal, that's for sure. I just don't want to derail your thread too much. There are examples of people who have eaten just meat for decades and been fine. Aside from some of the more well known native cultures (Inuit, Maasai, etc.), there is a small but thriving community of people who have done it for years. One of the more popular figures went by the name of "Bear" (Owsley Stanley). He ate only meat for over 50 years before he died at the age of 76, in a car accident.

There was a 1 year experiment (back in the 30s) where two men were monitored while they ate nothing but meat (no dairy, eggs, or anything from the plant world) for the year. At the end of the year, the only surprising result was that nothing surprising happened at all.

Veggies are great. Don't get me wrong. They can certainly be fit into a low carb and/or ketogenic diet. I don't think they're required for health though. I drink coffee (and lots of it). I think it's great. But, I wouldn't say that everyone needs coffee.
    I think one of the reasons so few people respond is because unlike @FIT_Goat‌ (by the way thank you for doing this) most people move on and leave the forums when they reach their goals. I left for like a month and now may check things once a week when I used to be on here 5 to 10 times a day.

Yeah, I think many people move on when they hit their goal. Most people are here because they're still working on it. Or they left, fell off the wagon, and needed to come back again. I am here because I like the people. I wasn't even tracking for a while. I don't feel the need. I track now, simply for a friend. He asked me to track for 90 solid days to see what I "actually eat" compared to what I say I eat. He's quickly coming to the realization that I actually eat exactly what I say I eat.

I don't mind talking about how I eat. I don't intend to promote the way I eat though.
    tru2one wrote: »
    Goat: Cue your recent optimal bloodwork results...more supporting evidence. ;-)

LOL, yeah, the doctor sure did give me some looks. And, I left her office with a nice big packet on how to "Eat a Balanced and Healthy Diet." Her biggest concern, oddly enough, was that I reduce the amount of coffee I drink. I am relatively unaffected by caffeine and drink coffee almost all day (hot in the morning and iced in the afternoons). Apparently, more than 1 pot of coffee a day is not recommended.

The good blood work mollified my wife, which was the biggest factor in me going to get it done. She was very concerned about the health implications of my diet. So, she wants at least annual blood work done.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd consider myself a success story yet, I still have a little ways to go, but I've been doing Atkins for over a year now. Its been great, I've lost 60 pounds and been able to keep it off. Another long term Atkins success story (13 years and counting) is SugarFreeSheila. She has a great website if you're ever in need of new recipes or a little inspiration: www.SugarFreeSheila.com

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd consider myself a success story yet, I still have a little ways to go, but I've been doing Atkins for over a year now. Its been great, I've lost 60 pounds and been able to keep it off. Another long term Atkins success story (13 years and counting) is SugarFreeSheila. She has a great website if you're ever in need of new recipes or a little inspiration: www.SugarFreeSheila.com

What a wonderful site. Low carb pumpkin cheesecake and peanut butter cookies!

• LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter cookies are my favorite!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love that website!
  • tru2one
    Options
    Sheila was a regular on the old Atkins boards on AOL back when I first started low carbing (late 90s, early 2000s). I remember when she started compiling her recipe books! Glad to hear that she's had such success in maintenance.