Can I ask a delicate question about - ahem - Number Two's? WARNING: Potentially TMI in this post...

Options
2»

Replies

• mowbry
    mowbry Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this thread has been started as I didn't go yesterday either on my fourth fast day. I usually go every morning and had until yesterday and today. My husband has to do his own bowels due to the fact he is paralysed from the chest down. He uses Lactulose liquid, which he says softens it and then uses Senokot, which help to bring it down. I find Senokot gives me wind, so I use on occasions Aloe Vera Colon Cleanse and my friends have also started using this and prefer this to Senokot. I'm from the UK so I'm not sure what it will be outside of my country but that's what we have Amazon for.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One thing I have heard is to stay away from anything with Cascara Sagrada in it because our bowels become dependent on it after a while.
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to think its partly a volume thing, a. couple of days eating as I used to and back to normal, but if I don't go one day it then becomes.a cumulative problem. Going to try fibre gummies x
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    chiccam wrote: »
    It's not intended for long time use but it's what I use if my carrots don't do the trick. It's more of a gently laxative where as the psyllium works like fiber.
    BM's can be a problem and very painful sometimes otherwise.

I read that very very wrong and thought that you meant you use carrots to um dig out stubborn bm's oops. No more skim reading for Karen
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    chiccam wrote: »
    I had trouble before the fast and from my Doctors suggestion I use Miralax, which works the same way as the psyllium husk previously mentioned by Foam roller.
    It's not intended for long time use but it's what I use if my carrots don't do the trick. It's more of a gently laxative where as the psyllium works like fiber.
    BM's can be a problem and very painful sometimes otherwise.

Mmmmm....Black bean brownie.

That's interesting about carrots. I used to use them too vs constipation (with success).
    jknight001 wrote: »
    I like Miralax too although there are additional health benefits to psyllium husk. I remember looking on their website and there was no indication that it was for short term only. But it is best to follow a doctor's order.

Yes, fibers has the added effect of not only helping things move along, but also gives satiation, feeling of fullness. That's why I take it before meals. Don't forget though, that fibers in the form of vegs and fruit aka whole foods, can also have additional effect in the gut (microbiome) that we don't know about. It was just always hard to get enough fiber without the calories while dieting.

Oh, btw. I get constipated eating red meats. Anyone else ?

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Oh, btw. I get constipated eating red meats. Anyone else ?

Years ago I tried to do Atkins and eat a lot of red meat. It really bunged me up and I felt terrible. So yes I can relate.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Karen what the :s hahaha....
    I still recommend carrots.

I haven't noticed red meats being a problem but I usually eat meats with salad.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just revisited this thread after a few days away from it and catching up on all the great advice, albeit sometimes a bit off topic but that's OK. Also happy to see that I'm not the only one affected - had a feeling I wouldn't be but sometimes someone needs to ask the more delicate questions, in a safe environment such as this.

I've been making a conscious effort to drink more water and include more fibre in my diet and things are slowly returning to near-normal, but that may be because I only had one FD last week. Back to 2 this week so I'll see how it goes. I'm not constipated, just not as regular as usual. As such I'm still reluctant to try any form of OTC medication as I have a long drive to work and I don't want to spend any of that time feeling uncomfortable or in urgent need, IYSWIM.

"I read that very very wrong and thought that you meant you use carrots to um dig out stubborn bm's oops. No more skim reading for Karen" - this! :smiley: made me spit my tea out all over my keyboard!! Thanks for giving me a laugh to start off my Monday :smiley:
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    Bahahahahaha I'm glad you all got a laugh. Have a great day
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Will never look at a carrot the same way. Thanks for the giggle! x
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    also, whilst on subject of things not moving, I finally worked out how to see how much fibre I am getting on a daily basis with food logging on mfp. Took a while to fiddle with setting, but I got there! Three bowls of allbran and lots of water and tea should do the trick I am thinking... Then I went and researched my fridge and realised the bread we all eat, and which purports to be healthy is made from processed bleached white flour and sugar and all sorts of yuck. So food shopping tomorrow for bread that has 3g of fibre instead of 1. If I was a domestic goddess I would bake own bread, grow veggies and sing sweetly, but am not.
  • cal0rina
    Options
    I used to look at food labels for fat content and now its for fibre!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    I feel like I look at the labels foreverything!! sugar content, bad numbers (105, 107, 131 to name a few), calories etc I'll look for fibre Now too :)
  • jennygillott
    jennygillott Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Karen: Great minds! That's exactly how I read it too!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    for me Vogels bread (wholegrain), not too much of it and heaps of water, fruit (kiwifruit) and veg
  • cal0rina
    Options
    Fibre gummies have arrived! 3 different fibre supplements now, and favourite high fibre foods, chia seeds black beans popcorn