Submit best porridge recipe

Options

Replies

• sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Evaporated milk is very high in sugar. I would stick to almond milk!
  • jamessteelapim
    jamessteelapim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I thought that. Are the many people who do not track their sugar levels, not aware that it is the modern version of nicotine, and it will kill them over time - i.e. diabeties?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do not track sugar levels, or anything apart from calories. But then I do not have sweet tooth, wartime baby and grew up with rationing

I am however aware of hidden sugars, like "low fat yoghurt" being topped up with sugar, are you listening Yeo Valley?

And the buckets of salt in some processed foods

Does not stop me eating ham / bacon in moderation though
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar as there's plenty of natural sugars in fruit and veg but I consider the health benefits of eating a wide variety of veg in particular and some fruits on a regular basis to be far more important than worrying about the refined sugar in some of my 'treat' foods like dark chocolate, which I've heard also has some health benefits.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning I have 50g good quality oats (not the powder you get in cheap bags) with 250ml semi skimmed milk. 2:40 in microwave. Add tbsp maple syrup, some flaked almonds, cinnamon and raisins. Fresh fruit if I have. Its splendid.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Sorry but that is a silly comment unless by "I" that is referring to you in particular (medical condition?). There is zero reason for me to avoid the sugar in evaporated milk.

You can't look at one food item without context of the overall diet and lifestyle.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I thought that. Are the many people who do not track their sugar levels, not aware that it is the modern version of nicotine, and it will kill them over time - i.e. diabeties?

No. Sorry but that is inaccurate.

Risk factors for type 2 diabetes

Four of the main risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes are:
    •age – being over the age of 40 (over 25 for South Asian people)
    •genetics – having a close relative with the condition (parent, brother or sister)
    •weight – being overweight or obese
    •ethnicity – being of South Asian, Chinese, African-Caribbean or black African origin (even if you were born in the UK)

nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type2/Pages/Causes.aspx

Causes of type 1 diabetes

Autoimmune condition

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition. Your immune system (the body's natural defence against infection and illness) mistakes the cells in your pancreas as harmful and attacks them, destroying them completely or damaging them enough to stop them producing insulin.

It's not known exactly what triggers the immune system to do this, but some researchers have suggested that it may be due to a viral infection.

Type 1 diabetes is often inherited (runs in families), so the autoimmune reaction may also be genetic.

If you have a close relative – such as a parent, brother or sister – with type 1 diabetes, you have about a 6% chance of also developing the condition. The risk for people who don't have a close relative with type 1 diabetes is just under 0.5%.
    nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type1/Pages/Causes.aspx
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do overnight oats - with peanut butter.

1 tub of fat free Greek yoghurt (tip into large tuppaware container)
    Use yoghurt tub to measure out an equal measure of milk (I use skimmed. Whatever kind of milk suits you work - tip into large container as above)
    Use yoghurt tub to measure out the oats (I also weigh this cos I'm OCD enough to). Add to the mixture you already have.
    100g peanut butter. I like chunky, with no added sugar - but choose your poison. Added to the mixture.

Mix well. Stick in the fridge overnight.

That's it. 4 portion in my world. I find the above a little stodgy - but added a chopped apple to each portion and it's heavenly!

I also like oats + milk hot as above - but the peanut butter concoction :D:D:D!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Sorry but that is a silly comment unless by "I" that is referring to you in particular (medical condition?). There is zero reason for me to avoid the sugar in evaporated milk.

You can't look at one food item without context of the overall diet and lifestyle.

Excuse me for making a silly comment. Of course I mean I myself. I would NEVER seek to suggest anything I do myself to other members of MFP . Sugary milk has made me feel sick ever since I was a baby.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Golfcat75 wrote: »
    Can't help with the recipes myself as I just heat the sachets in the microwave, but am reading these with interest as I would like some ideas on how to make my own (have microwave at work).

I make my own packets, using this recipe: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Oatmeal_Packets
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Quite intrigued about this idea of overnight porridge since my microwave stopped working. Here are some other recipes in addition to the tasty one above: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2014/01/overnight-oatmeal.html

*mason jars 100% not essential
  • Maverick60
    Maverick60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mug of oats, tablespoon of soya protein, mug of milk. Cook. Top with a dollop of crunchy peanut butter.
  • Snugglebutt2014
    Snugglebutt2014 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I need help with my porridge :|
    I love ready brek, I love the sachets of porridge with golden syrup etc, so I thought I would be super healthy and get porridge oats (Quakers or Scott's, can't remember now) and make my own.

Yet whenever I make my own the consistency is yuk!!! I am not sure what I am doing wrong as the sachets taste great?!
    I usually make with milk, no salt, and have done in a pan on the stove and in the microwave but it always tastes 'lumpy' and the consistency in my mouth makes me want to vomit.

How long do people cook the porridge for? Where am I going wrong?! Or is that how normal porrdige oats supposed to be?!

Help!
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I need help with my porridge :|
    I love ready brek, I love the sachets of porridge with golden syrup etc, so I thought I would be super healthy and get porridge oats (Quakers or Scott's, can't remember now) and make my own.

Yet whenever I make my own the consistency is yuk!!! I am not sure what I am doing wrong as the sachets taste great?!
    I usually make with milk, no salt, and have done in a pan on the stove and in the microwave but it always tastes 'lumpy' and the consistency in my mouth makes me want to vomit.

How long do people cook the porridge for? Where am I going wrong?! Or is that how normal porrdige oats supposed to be?!

Help!

I'm afraid porridge oats are lumpy. Ready Brek and others are powdered oats, making them quicker to cook and giving a smooth consistency. Not sure there is any difference in health benefits, but oats are certainly cheaper - I get a 1.5kg bag for about 75p!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Snugglebutt, you could try soaking the oats in water, or milk, overnight in fridge

This will make them softer, but as PB says, they may appear lumpy if all you have had is readybrek, bit like real spuds versus Smash
  • jamessteelapim
    Options
    I am the Scottish porridge man and your porridge should not be "lumpy".

Using unsweetened almond milk, pour one full cup into a pyrex bowl or similar. Add 4 heaped tablespoons of rolled oats, which should virtually soak into the milk straight away. Cook in microwave for 4 minutes, allow to rest for 2 minutes. Spoon out into a flat soup plate, sprinkle liberally with ground cinnamon, add almond milk around the sides. For those with a sweet tooth run a level tablespoon of honey/golden syrup in a spiral, starting from the centre. If it is a bit too thick, next time make it a cup and a bit of milk.

Get used to the consistency, that is what makes it filling and makes you "regular"!

Happy breakfasts

• editorgrrl
    Options

Grind some of the oats in a blender (or coffee grinder). It'll take trial & error to find your perfect ratio of oats to oat flour.

Overnight oats (aka muesli) has a whole nother texture. Nothing like the sachets, but also nothing like the yuk you're getting now. Give it a try.

• Snugglebutt2014
    Snugglebutt2014 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the help above ref my yuk oats consistency.

Tried a recipe off here for overnight oats. I put 30g oats and 50ml of semi skimmed milk, a teaspoon of cinnamon and another of runny honey into a Pyrex bowl, stirred, and left in the fridge overnight.

I ate them this morning straight from the fridge and cold and they tasted a lot better than my previous attempts at making them, heating them, and eating straight off.

Jury is out on the consistency still but a lot more palatable soaked :-)

I think I shall try almond milk though as this sounds as though it would be nice.

Thanks again for everyone's help :smile:
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Hurray for trial & error! Overnight oats can also be warmed in the microwave.
  • jamessteelapim
    Options
    The reason porridge is made up of loads of little "lumpy" bits, is that rolled oats are not processed. The grain kernel with the husk is crushed by a roller and put straight into a packet, without any additives or further processing. The little lumps are caused by the husks, which are high in fibre and vitamins.

Rolled oats are cheap because there is no costly processing, and there are no additives.

My 94 year old mother, a farmers daughter, remembers boiling a huge vat of porridge every morning, for the farm workers (before the microwave).

Keep it simple, and cut down on the additives, i.e. honey, syrup, fruit etc.

A liberal sprinkling of ground cinnamon and almond milk are my only additives.

Good morning UK!