portioning when cooking.

Options
AarchAngel
AarchAngel Posts: 20 Member
I'm planning on buying a digital kitchen scale, and have a question.

When this app says 4oz or 100g of hamburger or chicken, is this pre cooked weight or post cooked?

Also, any one have recommendation of a cheap yet accurate scale one that does tare weight and uses both metric and standard measures? (ounces and grams)

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Most food entries tend to take the nutritional information from the food labels and in that case the values would be as sold ie hamburgers sold raw the values would be raw.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so can't advise on scales, sorry.
  • AarchAngel
    Options
    Thanks, that helps, I know Fast food like Mc Donaldson quarter pounder is pre cook weight, assumed the same for portion size, but was not sure.
  • SONKISSED1
    SONKISSED1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this also helps me. This was one of the questions I also had
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought that when you are entering a meal and you are 100 grams of chicken breast for example, it is referring to cooked chicken breast unless you choose specifically raw chicken in one of the many options the app gives you when entering a meal.
    The only time it counts it as raw is if you are entering a recipe, then in your recipe you are saying that your 100 grams of chicken are raw. It always lets you choose from many options, like grilled, fried, raw, cubed cooked, steamed, etc.
    I don't know if the nutritional value changes a lot but I try to be as accurate as possible.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    it's usually uncooked
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    and in the meantime while you are trying to figure it out, you'll just starve to death. LOL Or get desperate and eat half a bag of Oreos..

*sorry* feeling cynical about measuring food. o:)
  • AarchAngel
    Options
    Crisbtrue wrote: »
    and in the meantime while you are trying to figure it out, you'll just starve to death. LOL Or get desperate and eat half a bag of Oreos..

Oreos are easy to measure, 1 bag =1 serving
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    AarchAngel wrote: »
    Crisbtrue wrote: »

Oreos are easy to measure, 1 bag =1 serving

I thought that was the required label for Thin Mints. My wife has a new plan this year. Make the normal order but take them straight to the Food Bank. Do non pass Go and do not collect 200 carbs.