More carbs?

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
My daily carb goal is 88, but the past three days my carb levels have been 84, 56, and 36, in that order (I started 4 days ago). Today I've only had 11 carbs so far (I've already had breakfast, morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack). What are some easy ways to get more carbs without eating anything crappy (processed, refined, sugar-laden--anything that will derail me)? I do have a banana in my lunch bag I will probably eat on the way home from work, so I know that will increase my carbs quite a bit, but I will still be significantly under 88. As previously mentioned I don't want to go into keto or eat too few carbs due to breastfeeding, and I'm noticing a decrease in my supply which I can only attribute to my current WOE, as all other factors remain the same. Suggestions?

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and milk i now have a decent amount of carbs if you can do those. Any kind of fruit but even some veggies like carrots, corn and peas with some butter will increase carbs.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Funny, I looked at the milk carton last night and saw how many carbs it had and put it down. I should have also looked at my total carb count for the day and then splurged!

You all mention peanut butter a lot--are you using regular peanut butter or all-natural sugar-free?
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Funny, I looked at the milk carton last night and saw how many carbs it had and put it down. I should have also looked at my total carb count for the day and then splurged!

You all mention peanut butter a lot--are you using regular peanut butter or all-natural sugar-free?

I use all natural sugar free but i rarely eat it. We have in the past used the regular creamy also.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like Simply Jiff Peanut Butter because it's not oily and has slightly less sugar/carbs that the original. Oh, and just the other day I saw in someone's diary a really good breakfast idea: chobani yogurt with frozen berries and some chopped walnuts. I'll be trying that this weekend!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    That sounds yummy, @LowCarbHeart!

I guess I thought regular PB would be off limits due to all the sugar. I guess as long as I stay within my daily limits, though, it's okay?
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I prefer berries to fruit, I don't drink milk, spaghetti squash is good, zucchini, cucumbers, almond butter, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Even natural peanut butter still has a fair amount of carbs in it (same with tree nut butters, too). The added sugar only adds 1-2 carbs per serving, as I recall.

Even if you're trying to keep your carbs higher, you'll be better off getting it from natural sources, instead of refined sugars. Fruit, starches, milk. These types of things should be sufficient to get you to your goal, and provide some good nutrients to boot.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like Simply Jiff Peanut Butter because it's not oily and has slightly less sugar/carbs that the original. Oh, and just the other day I saw in someone's diary a really good breakfast idea: chobani yogurt with frozen berries and some chopped walnuts. I'll be trying that this weekend!

The difference in "mouthfeel" between whole milk Chobani & the no-fat version is amazing. A generous shake of cinnamon is good if you like that flavor.

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy, @LowCarbHeart!

I guess I thought regular PB would be off limits due to all the sugar. I guess as long as I stay within my daily limits, though, it's okay?

Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter has no added sugar. Since it has no added emulsifiers it will separate. I usually add 1 tbl of ground flax seed per pound of peanut butter and refrigerate to control separation. I know I've just adulterated my unadulterated peanut butter.

• DianaElena76
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! @KeithF6250‌ , that's funny, adulterating your unadulterated peanut butter. :smile: