Need help with reciepe

Options
so I'm new to cooking healthy food. Frozen pizza, Mac n cheese, corn dogs, yup that was me before about three weeks ago I saw a post about zucchini noodles instead of pasta noodles because it's healthier now I saw zucchini and bought some they look like cucumbers. I'm lost in what to do with them. HELP!?!?

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Search for Zoodles
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a recipe I found recently. I haven't tried it yet but it sure looks good! https://dashingdish.com/recipe/no-noodles-about-it-the-best-low-carb-lasagna-ever/
  • drgreen5555
    drgreen5555 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I made a variation of this recipe last week and my family loved it. I used jarred sauce that we all like. I added mushrooms and next time I will add thicker sliced zucchini and more zucchini. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucchini-lasagna.html
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    To make zoodles (or cucumber, or carrot, or potato, or parsnip... noodles) you'll need a spiralizer or a mandolin (but only use a mandolin once you're a little more familiar with cooking/cutting so you don't slice your hand open). I just got a spiralizer and LOVE it. skinnytaste.com and inspiralized.com are my go-tos for recipes.

My husband is still not all the way on-board with the full substitution of zoodles, so I make him a half portion of regular pasta that I mix in with the zucchini.

There are plenty of things you can do with zucchini without turning them into noodles, though. Add them to omlettes, make lasagna, eat them raw with hummus! The easiest is to simply cut them up (you can leave the skin on) and saute them in some EVOO with salt & pepper for about 3 minutes for a quick side.
  • Owenlemm
    Owenlemm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh at your original post. :) I can and do cook a lot of things but not Zucchini! It is one veggie that I have never been able to take a liking to. Good Luck to you!
  • Grinage1027
    Grinage1027 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will give it a go lol should be interesting enough for my whole family haha
  • kxforg
    kxforg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is an excellent pasta alternative. It's easy and doesn't need extra tools to make.
  • caron6055
    caron6055 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'll second the spaghetti squash, its great with pasta, also try cauliflower rice, just blitz raw cauliflower in the food processor and stir fry with a spray of oil and some garlic and it is a delicious substitute for rice without the carbs.
  • Erica_Mahan
    Erica_Mahan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new here but I've tried substituting quite a few staples that I would normally cook and things are working out pretty good! I've totally substituted any potato with cauliflower. Has anyone tried mashed cauliflower? Its amazing.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Cut up a mix of veggies you like,add seasoning....thn spray with Pam.Cook till as done as you like. Very low carb & tasty.I have zucchini sliced,baby carrots,red & green peppers with onion. Done now & smells yummy.
  • smondloch
    smondloch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I throw almost every veggie either on my George Forman grill- it carmalizes them.,, yum!
    -or shred them as a base for a fritata in the morning