Breakfast

Options
tat2cookie
tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
so what is everyone having for breakfast these days? How does it compare to what you were eating before?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I either have a coffee (decaf) with a scoop of protein powder or a serving of grits with a scoop of protein powder added.

Prior, I would either have nothing but coffee, a couple of McDonald's Sausage biscuits if on the road, or when I was eating healthy, oatmeal at work.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat too early, never really have. During the week, I make a protein drink with soy or almond milk, protein powder, and if I worked out that morning, some banana - my trainer says I need the carbs along with the protein to recuperate and build muscle. I drink that while I get ready for work. On the weekends when I have more time, and I can eat later, I will make an omelet with 1/4 c. of egg whites, a couple of slices of chopped up turkey bacon, a bit of chopped green onion, and some low fat cheese. Before, I was a huge fan of breakfast food -bacon, eggs, cheese, potatoes, bagels, toast, waffles, whatever. I loved breakfast food! Now I find that what I eat is super satisfying and I don't miss all the old foods, or the huge quantities I ate!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    1 egg with a slice of cheese pretty much every morning. Chased with a scoop of whey in my coffee like an hour later when I get to work. I used to do a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit with hash browns 5 days per week.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of milk on the way to work, then a couple hours later have a couple scoops of protein and water. I used to do oatmeal or yogurt, but oatmeal doesnt agree with me and most yogurts taste to tart of fake sweet for me now.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Normal weekday 300 calories of a protein bar(s) plus a cup of coffee (over time). On the weekend I try to have some eggs.

Pre-surgery: Sausage, egg, potato and cheese hero with salt pepper/katchup or a few bagles with butter dunked in coffee. Sometimes a half box of Kashi with milk.

Life is very different today.....
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast. I use to eat up to 4 eggs with a tortilla, bacon, sausage, smothered in green chili and cheese. Or biscuits and gravy.

Today I eat an over easy egg or 2 egg whites (my sleeve doesn't like whole scrambled eggs or cooked yokes) with sautéed veggies or a little bit of green chili and avocado.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love egg beaters, and turkey bacon. I can do 1/4-1/2 c of beaters and 1 slice of turkey bacon. I love love some vanilla whey blended with fresh fruit into a smoothie. that totally fills me up, or greek yogurt. When it is this cold I love hot breakfast and so I turn to cream of wheat, but not too often..not a whole lot of protein there
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I never ate breakfast before my surgery. Now I eat a Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt pretty much every day at my desk. I like to mix a scoop of protein powder in it. Together its 22 grams of protein to start the day.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I never ate breakfast before surgery. Now I have 2 free range eggs and 1 slice of toast with preserves.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've decided that i'm not eating enough (let's be honest, i'm not eating ANY) fruits or veggies these days, so I am eating a piece of fruit for breakfast every morning (lately it's cantaloupe)
    I also have a latte (or similar) from starbucks. (I get grande)
    In my past life, I would have a venti whatever from starbucks, AND a breakfast sandwich.
    I've found since adding fruit back in, my digestion is a lot better! Things are moving like they should LOL
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Breakfast was always my favorite meal --- I used to have a couple McD's bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits or some other fast food sandwiches. Now, I drink 8 oz. of 1% milk with Unjury chocolate splendor protein (tastes like chocolate milk) and that is all. Easier to take my meds that way too.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Even at 3.5 years out, I'm still eating 6 times a day. My routine now is a cup of coffee when I first wake up, an hour or so later I drink a cup of protein hot chocolate (usually Nashua Nutrition HealthSmart Amaretto or Chocolate with Marshmallow). Then a few hours later I have a serving of Proti Diet protein oatmeal. Prior to surgery, I had coffee and usually a brownie with a second cup of coffee when I got to work
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Prior to surgery I really didn't eat breakfast much. I really don't like to eat when I first get up. Post surgery I eat a cup of 2X the Protein Dannon Light Vanilla Yogurt or a cup of Cottage cheese with fruit or granola during the work week, at work, so about 3 hours after I get up. Saturdays I tend to give into having coffee and eating later, more like lunch time and then it's a protein bar or maybe 1/2 cup of granola with milk. Sundays we go out to breakfast after church and it's typically 1/2 a greek omlette (no bread or potatoes).

I once was told that this would work better for me if I had some protein within an hour of getting out of bed. I tried it for a month, made me nauseous every day, and didn't effect the weight loss or lack of, at all, so I went back to eating when my tummy finally wakes up.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with shaved almonds/raisins or 1/4 c egg whites, peppers and light cheese sprinkled on top. Maybe half a lite wheat english muf. Black decaf

I haven't had surgery yet, but the old me loved a big ol' bagel with bacon,egg & cheese chased with several hot coffees with liquid hazelnut creamer. I really don't miss any of it.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been obsessed with Special K High Protein cereal with 1% milk (3/4 c cereal w/ 1/2 c milk) for a total of 14 grams of protein. My sleeve LOVES it and the nutritionist who runs my support group was pretty positive about it.

I too eat breakfast pretty late in the morning (9-11 am), so I start my day with coffee. I just can't give up the first morning caffeine, but do switch to decaf coffee in the afternoon.

Before surgery, breakfast would be biscuits with jam. I loved them!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been having a roast beef & spinach salad for breakfast lately. Before surgery, I pretty much always had oatmeal (loaded up with dried fruit, brown sugar, and half & half).
    I don't usually have breakfast until 10 or 11. Before then, just black coffee or water with Crystal Light.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Within a few minutes of waking each morning I am sipping an Atkins Cafe Caramel protein shake. About two hours later I will scramble an egg with some cheese and some fruit. I'm not eating breads yet but I do look forward to a piece of toast with margarine. I don't care for jams of jelly. Too sweet for me and I have always been that way.

Pre op, when I ate breakfast, it was eggs, grits or hashbrowns with a couple scrambled eggs, bacon or patty sausage and a biscuit. Or a bagel with bacon egg and cheese. Used to like patty sausage with biscuits and gravy. I don't miss the quantity of food either. I am proud that one egg with some fruit satisfies me.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Pre-surgery, breakfast could be a muffin or a danish or breakfast sandwich w/sausage. This was usually in the 8:30-9:30 range, or about 2-3 hrs after getting up. Now, 99% of the time it is a greek yogurt w/in 1/2 hr of waking up. My NUT was really insistent on my eating breakfast w/in 1 hr of waking up and the yogurt is about all I have time for. Now that I see what others are eating for breakfast, I may have to try a few new things. :) I'm glad you started this post, Tat2Cookie!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    I either have a coffee (decaf) with a scoop of protein powder or a serving of grits with a scoop of protein powder added.

I thought protein powders would gunk up in hot liquids? What type do you use that mixes into your decaf coffee?
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I use GNC and just bought some Optimum Nutrition powder. To add to hot liquid, I make a paste with cool water and then add the coffee on to the paste and it works well.

Rob