New York Times Article Re Gov Dietary Guidelines

Options

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The government is like a gigantic ship heading in the wrong direction. It has a tiny tug boat (LCHF dieticians and studies) trying to move it in the right direction. The water currents are very strong (carb industry) and are moving the ship in the wrong direction.

I have jumped off the boat and in a safe harbor & on a tropical island where good food is plenteous (Keto).

Dan the Man from Michigan

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    One of these days they'll get it completely right....
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't count on it. Government guidelines are often worked out in back rooms with corporate lobbyists.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    Don't count on it. Government guidelines are often worked out in back rooms with corporate lobbyists.

True. The food pyramid originally had 3-5 servings of grains. Then the food lobbyists came in. They aren't going to let go of their cash-crop any time soon.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well at least they are acknowledging the truth about something. It's a start. However I did also recently read an article that they are now adding the interest and desire to eat healthy "clean" food all the time rather than SAD is a mental disorder...One step forward, two steps back it always seems in this society. lol
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options

LOL, I know. I'm in a "lobby congress to death" industry myself, but I do know that the corn/grain lobbyists have lost out on subsidies in recent years. Corn and wheat are slowly losing some of their power it seems. We can hope right?
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    ...However I did also recently read an article that they are now adding the interest and desire to eat healthy "clean" food all the time rather than SAD is a mental disorder...

yeah...crazy smart.

schizofoodia.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    ...However I did also recently read an article that they are now adding the interest and desire to eat healthy "clean" food all the time rather than SAD is a mental disorder...

yeah...crazy smart.

schizofoodia.

OMG, I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything. I almost choked as I was swallowing to breathe! hee hee hee HAW!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

True. The food pyramid originally had 3-5 servings of grains. Then the food lobbyists came in. They aren't going to let go of their cash-crop any time soon.

See? Now that's actually pretty reasonable. A piece of bread with each meal, basically. Not actually terrible, when you think about it (even our grandparents probably did about that). 6-11, though? I worked it out one time, and it equates to an entire loaf of bread of average size, per person, per day. WTF? That's insane.

LOL, I know. I'm in a "lobby congress to death" industry myself, but I do know that the corn/grain lobbyists have lost out on subsidies in recent years. Corn and wheat are slowly losing some of their power it seems. We can hope right?

Yeah, but then you've also got Monsanto and the Grocery Manufacturers of America (GMA) throwing all kinds of money at government (they're currently spending tens to hundreds of millions of dollars on state-level anti-GMO campaigns, each). Of course, such manufacturers, like General Mills, Kraft, and Kellogg, who make their money on wheat and corn based products, aren't going to want that to change any time soon.

What saddens me is that everyone says the experts got it wrong. They didn't. They've been saying for nearly a century now that the federal guidelines are all wrong. They fought the rulings, tooth and nail, but in the end, media and lobbiests won out, and they were the ones who got it wrong.
  • nill4me
    Options
    Well said dragon.
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    6-11, though? I worked it out one time, and it equates to an entire loaf of bread of average size, per person, per day. WTF? That's insane.

That certainly puts it into perspective. A loaf of bread per day! That will rock people's worlds!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »

yeah...crazy smart.

schizofoodia.

HAHAHA that's a good one. You should trademark that word. You'd make millions.

Sorry doc, ive got schizofoodia and I cant follow your diet plan.

(seriously me and daughter were laughing over this for a good 10 minutes. this is my new word of the week. Just fyi, last weeks was sinceriously)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    *eye twitch* Monsanto...bleeh *twitch twitch*

• nill4me
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    HAHAHA that's a good one. You should trademark that word. You'd make millions.

Sorry doc, ive got schizofoodia and I cant follow your diet plan.

(seriously me and daughter were laughing over this for a good 10 minutes. this is my new word of the week. Just fyi, last weeks was sinceriously)

I'm totally using sinceriously next week.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Cheers to our mental disorder! B)