February ETL - Food and Fitness

Options

Replies

• tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    HI All,

My "Goulash" recipe was fantastic. Will definitely add it to my rotation during the colder months.

Coues thanks for sharing your recipe I will give it a try.

Paperwork day and day 1 of my 6 week challenge. So far so good just need to go to the gym later today---oh but so cold out. I am so ready for spring.

so far:
    lunch; cabbage vegetable soup 1 cup, 1 cup carrots, 1/4 c buffalo hummus
    dinner: broccoli rice casserole/ large salad
    snack: fruit/nuts

exercise: 1/2 hour elliptical maybe 10 min stairmaster. It has been a couple weeks since I have gone to the gym hope I will not get too sore :(.

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,931 Member
    Options
    sharon your soup sounds really good. I love the fatfree vegan website. Terri, glad your goulash turned out so well, and great workout!

Today was not 100% ETL, but calories are okay. Had my Tai Chi class tonight. We had a lot more people so we really just went back through what we learned last week and only learned a couple new moves. I feel really good after doing it, it's great for relieving tension!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Made something new last night and it was YUMMY! Cauliflower chickpea patties

I modified a recipe I saw on Dr Fuhrmans forum.

I boiled a head of cauliflower until soft and set aside to drain. Made a batch of chickpeas and drained those. Then used a food processor to mash up the cauliflower, chickpeas, a red onion, some cilantro, some flaxseed and lots of cumin, turmeric, pepper and garlic.

Then made patties and baked for 25 mins at 375....then flipped and baked 20 more mins. Then topped them with some mashed up avocado mixed with lemon juice, water, cumin and a tiny amount of salt. My husband also made a wasabi mayo that he had on his that he said was excellent with it.

some pics...

920d354pok7g.jpg

0jp98cev9p4e.jpg

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Those patties look divine!
  • sharon9597
    sharon9597 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I second thank, look and sound yummy
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow loving all these food photos on this thread!! Coues, both look REALLY amazing. Terri and Sharon, thanks too for the recipes! I love trying new recipes out. Especially soups. Especially lately!! So darn cold.

I am into week 3 of T25 and going strong! I feel like I've already improved quite a bit.

B - OSG granola; banana
    L - curried green lentil soup (one of my all time faves); grapefruit
    D - green salad; maybe leftover OSG broccoli & 'cheese' wrap;
    Exercise: T25 tonight!

Sunday was a mega carbo ETL day!! Did not stick to the 1 serving of grains. And yesterday, too many nuts. Sigh. These are always my hardest things of ETL. Otherwise, still sticking to it pretty well, no junk food at all!

Mihani, great job with all that dedication to tai chi this past week! Glad you are finding some stress relief through it.
    Sabine, welcome back! Staying away from the junk is a huge success in my eyes! How was the trip otherwise?

Karrie, happy happy birthday!! <:-) How are you celebrating?! hope you're feeling totally back to normal soon.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Quick hi... had some work to do when I got home and now it is time for bed. I'm so tired!

Happy birthday Karrie!
  • kelleman1
    kelleman1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Still reading along. IT's been an interesting week after doing ETL for 6 weeks. I'm up a few pounds, but holding, and on the way back down. I started swimming laps, and we tried a lentil taco recipe that I really loved (5 and 7 year old were not impressed). I don't care though, I need to get healthier meals in. Baby steps.
  • coueswhitetail
    Options
    Stick with it kelleman1....make your health and your kids health a priority!
  • JCN80
    JCN80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Happy Birthday Karrie!

We made the best recipe last night, which I wanted to share. It's from the Dr Fuhrman website, and it tastes a lot like mozzarella sticks :) It's called Crispy Marinara Baked Tofu. We used extra firm high quality tofu, but we skipped pressing it.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/members/VwRecipe2.aspx?id=2084

Serves: 6

Ingredients:
    1 block extra firm tofu, drained
    1 cup raw almonds, toasted
    2 tablespoons corn meal
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
    1 cup no-salt-added or low sodium marinara sauce, divided
    Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Wrap tofu in several layers of paper towels and place on a plate or cutting board. Cover with a second plate and balance a heavy can or two on top to weigh down the plate and press down the tofu. Set aside and let drain for 30 minutes. Remove and discard paper towels. Slice the tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices, lay flat, cover with more paper towels and press again for a few more minutes.

Place almonds in food processor and pulse until chopped to the consistency of coarse bread crumbs. Remove from food processor and combine with corn meal, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper.

Place 1/2 cup of the marinara in a bowl. Dredge the tofu pieces into the marinara and then press them into the almond mixture pressing lightly to cover both sides well. Gently shake off any excess nut mixture.

Lay flat on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake, flipping every 10-15 minutes for 40-45 minutes.

Serve with remaining marinara sauce for dipping.

Per Serving:
    CALORIES 231; PROTEIN 13g; CARBOHYDRATES 11g; TOTAL FAT 16.3g; SATURATED FAT 1.4g; SODIUM 15mg; FIBER 4.3g; BETA-CAROTENE 38ug; VITAMIN C 4mg; CALCIUM 238mg; IRON 2.5mg; FOLATE 16ug; MAGNESIUM 77mg; ZINC 1.4mg; SELENIUM 1.2ug
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Hi all,

Happy Birthday Karrie!

I have done really well with etl the past 2 days. It is amazing when I follow the diet pretty strictly the sweet cravings go away. I have been struggling since I had a challenging health period since last July but I will commit to 6 weeks ETL.

I finally braved the scale (which I had been avoiding for months) this morning and I am up 10 lbs from last fall :( . So, back to the grind. I haven't made it to the gym yet using the extreme cold as an excuse. Been so tired this past month in need of warm weather and sunshine.

The broccoli rice casserole I made was just ok. If I make it again I would add a lot more fresh herbs. The soup that I made for the casserole was delicious. I will definitely make the soup again.

Cream of Broccoli Soup
    Tracey Shreve

Serves: 6
    Preparation Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    5 cups carrot juice ( i used vegetable broth instead)
    4 turnips, unpeeled and chopped
    1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, chopped
    4 bunches broccoli, coarsely chopped
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup raw cashews

Instructions:
    Heat 2-3 tablespoons of water in a soup pot. Water saute onion and garlic until softened.

Add carrot juice, turnips, kale, broccoli and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until turnips and vegetables are tender, about 20-25 minutes. Blend half of the soup with the cashews, return mixture to pot and reheat.
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 339; PROTEIN 19g; CARBOHYDRATES 61g; TOTAL FAT 7.2g; SATURATED FAT 1.2g; SODIUM 348mg; FIBER 16g; BETA-CAROTENE 22113ug; VITAMIN C 468mg; CALCIUM 328mg; IRON 5.7mg; FOLATE 319ug; MAGNESIUM 175mg; ZINC 3.2mg; SELENIUM 15.8u

Todays plan:
    usual oatmeal breakfast
    salad veggie soup
    broccoli rice casserole.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Hubs is out of town for the weekend (starting today). I think I'll try those, and if I think he likes them, I'll make them for him when he gets home.
  • coueswhitetail
    Options

Hubs is out of town for the weekend (starting today). I think I'll try those, and if I think he likes them, I'll make them for him when he gets home.

I hope you love them like we did. The original recipe called for 1 cup of panko bread crumbs but I substituted some ground flaxseed instead. I didn't measure it though, but my guess is I used about 5 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, maybe less. They held together fine and I don't even know if you need the flaxseed component but I wanted to add more nutrition to them too.

You can also google Cauliflower chickpea patties and see what comes up.

I think I used two cups of chick peas and a whole head of cauliflower. I purposefully cooked the chickpeas on the firm side of done, but husband said he didn't appreciate the small amount of crunch that added to the patties, so you might want to cook the chickpeas until fully soft and grind them more than I did. If your hubby likes wasabi, then I suggest using mayo with wasabi mixed into it. Husband loved that! I am not a fan of wasabi though. We had saved a little bit from a sushi restaurant just so he could mix it with some mayo....worked perfect.
  • coueswhitetail
    Options
    I have been collecting recipes around the 'net and putting them in a folder in my dropbox account. Some are ETL, some are close, but not really ETL. But most are high nutrient centered.....

if anyone is interested in perusing the recipes, you should be able to view and download them here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8magk4mcje8zw1q/AABnJdPR1hlr9_Ts73dNqhB3a?dl=0

I think the original cauliflower chickpea recipe is in there (not my version of it, but you might like it anyway).

• coueswhitetail
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just wanted to share a success photo.....so happy I have dedicated myself to losing weight and improving my health this year. Getting close to 30 lbs lost.....still have 20 to go. The challenge this spring and summer is to eat healthfully while doing all my fieldwork for my work as a biologist. It's been easier now since I work out of my home so I can take time to make nutritious meals.

Does anyone have a good oat/nut bar recipe they make and enjoy? I have downloaded a few off the internet but haven't tried making them yet.

zoum5xj7tw89.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    coues that is awesome!!! Congratulations on your success and I'm quite sure you will make your goal.

Kelly, glad you're still here.

The recipes y'all are posting sound great.

This is another quick hi. I have some things to finish up yet tonight and then to bed early. Today is my birthday. There are a lot of Pisces hanging around this group lol. I am taking this weekend off from the office and not even bringing work home so I will have more catchup time then.
  • tdh1991
    Options
    rare slow day at work today. Going to catch up on the mountain of paper work I have to do.

Past 3 days have gone really well. 95% etl (too many starches). Down 3 lbs already, probably water weight.

today:
    b: oatmeal, flax seed, berries,
    L; salad, vegetable soup
    d; beet patties w/ home made applesauce, salad, and cooked vegetable
    s: strawberry smoothie

If I make it to the store today. I will also make those chickpea patties.

Hopefully, sticking the ETL will have my seasonal affective disorder. Can't seem to shake feeling so tired all day.

• JCN80
    JCN80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Mihani :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I hope you love them like we did. The original recipe called for 1 cup of panko bread crumbs but I substituted some ground flaxseed instead. I didn't measure it though, but my guess is I used about 5 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, maybe less. They held together fine and I don't even know if you need the flaxseed component but I wanted to add more nutrition to them too.

You can also google Cauliflower chickpea patties and see what comes up.

I think I used two cups of chick peas and a whole head of cauliflower. I purposefully cooked the chickpeas on the firm side of done, but husband said he didn't appreciate the small amount of crunch that added to the patties, so you might want to cook the chickpeas until fully soft and grind them more than I did. If your hubby likes wasabi, then I suggest using mayo with wasabi mixed into it. Husband loved that! I am not a fan of wasabi though. We had saved a little bit from a sushi restaurant just so he could mix it with some mayo....worked perfect.

He adores wasabi, and we have some! Thanks for this, can't wait to try it. I'm hoping for Saturday.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    coues that is awesome!!! Congratulations on your success and I'm quite sure you will make your goal.

Kelly, glad you're still here.

The recipes y'all are posting sound great.

This is another quick hi. I have some things to finish up yet tonight and then to bed early. Today is my birthday. There are a lot of Pisces hanging around this group lol. I am taking this weekend off from the office and not even bringing work home so I will have more catchup time then.

Happy birthday!