Real Books VS E-Readers

Options
123457»

Replies

• iwishihad
    iwishihad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love my books ... but I also love the ease of being able to carry thousands of ebooks around with me on my phone/ipad/whatever. And the lit screen makes it a LOT easier to read in bed :)
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just got a Kindle for Christmas and LOVE it! Before getting one I wasn't so sure how I would adjust to not having a book in hand, but the Kindle is so convenient! One of the biggest reasons I got one is because I hate packing 5 books on vacation and have them take up so much space.
  • gwynne79
    gwynne79 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    nkswans wrote: »
    For those of you with e readers, do you ever check out e books from libraries?? (I'm a librarian so just curious to know)

From the physical library, no. There is a separate ebook library loaning website for each state and/or county I think. I live in MD and can check out ebooks from DC's & MD's ebook collections. DC has more of course, and they allow for more holds (40 I think) and my county only allows for 5 holds at a time. Some states offer theirs with subscription fee for those out of state.

I hear Amazon is creating some sort of ebook collection loaning as well for Amazon prime members.

I heard about that...kind of ridiculous. Paying to rent books....hmmm I wonder where I can do that for free? :wink:

I totally get your point, thing is i live in the country. The nearest library is the one in a town of 300 (you can imagine the selection). Otherwise it is about an hours drive to a city. Then they really hate to give out library cards to people so far out of town. I have a tablet, i use it to read books i dont have to own, books that i would go to a library for. They are just to convenient, i finish a book at midnight i can keep reading.
  • amyashworth98
    amyashworth98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am quite comfortable with both paperbacks and my iPad. Especially since most of the books on my iPad are not available in paperback. The best thing is that I can 'borrow' books from my local library in digital form and for some reason they don't delete themselves and I get to keep them after the loan period is over. Weird but works for me. :)
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love my kindle - I used to raid charity shops and take 10 + books with me on holiday - very cramped in a small caravan! I now can take my kindle and carry it around! I still like books and often go to book stalls at charity fairs etc, but the kindle gets my vote for portability and space saving.
  • sj911guy
    sj911guy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As a hopeless and confirmed bibliophile I have spent countless, wondrous, hours haunting bookstores, new and used, feeding my hunger, my addiction. I moved an ever growing collection of boxes, full of my prizes, everywhere I lived. When my first wife left me, the one thing I made sure to keep was my book collection. While stationed in England with the Air Force, I bought an illustrated Victorian set of the Complete Works of Shakespeare. I would never part with those mildewed, musty, magnificent tomes. When E-readers first came on the scene I scoffed; it wasn't really reading if you couldn't smell the pages, feel the texture on your fingertips as you held a book or turned a page. We made our 9th move in 17 years. I began to have health problems with my heart and my hip. A coworker let me borrow their Kindle to read a book I couldn't get that they had. Sigh. Now my collection of books rests in their moving boxes in a storage unit and I carry, almost, my entire library on a Kindle. Pain and exhaustion wore me down. Lighter and easier won out. I still keep my Victorian set of Shakespeare in a prominent place and pull them down and read them occasionally. My kids, who are growing up in a world where book stores have become an endangered species, wrinkle their noses and wonder aloud, "Why does that book smell so olllldd?" I look to the heavens, sigh, and breathe deep the aroma of history.