Overeaters Anonymous?

Options
Lion707
Lion707 Posts: 4 Member
has anybody tried this group? I do a lot of mindless eating especially late at night when I am not hungry. It drives me a bit crazy. I feel like I'm in a trance when I do it. If I could get a "lock" on this kind of eating I am sure I would lose a great deal of weight. Any other ideas on this too?

Replies

• maryaalhindi
    maryaalhindi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing, it's not until I feel like I'm going to throw up do I put down whatever it is I was eating. Lose control of myself completely. What you should do is drink a lottt of water and get rid of food you're prone to binging on so if you ever get into that state Youll have healthy food like cucumbers or carrots to eat! If that doesn't work make sure you tell someone around who'll help you stop once you've started
  • djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did FA, food addicts in recovery anonymous. Different from OA but both 12 step. I've met people for whom OA worked well.

HOWEVER - the most important step is the first one. Go to whatever meeting you can if you feel like food and cravings and compulsive / addictive eating is running your life. For me, going to FA is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

mindless eating doesn't necessarily sound like addictive / compulsive eating. On the other hand, eating when you're not hungry, which i've done plenty of, isn't healthy. It's great you're here, asking for help.

• Lion707
    Options
    This is really useful advice. I first have to get to the river (one of these groups) and drink more water. It is also important to get myself some fresh veggies on hand for these moments of temptation. Unfortunately, last night was another bad night. I found myself eating in the middle of the night again. It was really discouraging since I had logged everything successfully yesterday. I am new to this forum, but the roots of emotional overeating go right back into my early childhood. I lived in a very dysfunctional home, and went to food at an early age to fill a void that I felt in my life.
    Any other tips or ideals would also be welcomed. Thanks
  • djhnd
    Options
    Go to a meeting; see if there are any other non-OA 12 step food addict type meetings near you, as different things work for different people. The first step is realizing / admitting that one is powerless over food, a concept that a lot of people don't like (they also often don't like the "higher power" part. )

The way I looked at it was food always kicked my *kitten*, eventually, no matter my intentions or efforts. Eventually, it kicked my *kitten*, and I couldn't beat the problem on my own.
  • Lion707
    Options
    I will definitely find a group to go to. I think you need a higher power (or whatever else that works) in this universe to mentally survive. I am certainly powerless to achieve all of my goals on my own. Thanks for sharing and caring!
  • sueatherbest
    sueatherbest Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started with OA five years ago. I compulsively eat at night. I have trouble with working my program and getting with a sponsor, guess I want people posting here to help...looking forward to connecting with like minded people.
    Ways I cope so I don't use the food: knit, (keeps my hands busy), drink lots of water, which also keeps my hands busy, makes me feel physically satisfied, look at why I'm eating, what's going on that I'm choosing food instead of focusing on resolving what's motivating me to eat.
    Hope to "talk" soon!
  • djhnd
    Options
    The group that worked for me was food addicts in recovery anonymous. If you google that you'll find a web page that lists meetings near you. A different approach from OA.
  • sueatherbest
    sueatherbest Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll Google it.