Options
13»

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    <snip>

Your percentages must be for the grams. Keep in mind that fat has more than twice the calories per gram as protein. As a result, his caloric ratios (as normally referenced in keto circles) are closer to 75/25. Not far from what you're already doing.

You are right. Trying to do this in a hurry at lunch reminds me of the phrase: "Haste Makes Waste."

Dan the Man from Michigan

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    P.S. My answer to your using metric on this group: "Me alegro de que usted tiene que perder el tiempo traduciendo de este mensaje de un idioma a otro . Ahora, usted sabe cómo me siento. Las unidades métricas e inglesas son como a diferentes idiomas. Estamos en los EE.UU. hablan el idioma del"[/b]

{I am glad that you have to waste time translating this message from one language to another. Now, you know how I feel. Metric and English units are as different languages. We are in the US speak the language of}

lol, sorry that it bugs you. I'll try and include the conversions more often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system
    The metric system has been officially sanctioned for use in the United States since 1866, but it remains the only industrialised country that has not adopted the metric system as its official system of measurement. Many sources also cite Liberia and Burma as the only other countries not to have done so. Although the United Kingdom uses the metric system for most official purposes, the use of the imperial system of measure, particularly for use at home, is widespread and is permitted by the law.

It could be said that I am causing fewer people to need to translate my units than those who use pounds. Although, I end up using weird mixes of units (for example, I use calories and not joules because that's what my labels read).

The truth be told, I don't see why most people would need to translate most units anyway. If my weight is going down, that's the same in kg as in lbs. The above graph, for example, would look identical except the specific labels would change for each point. When talking about my measurements, I do [usually] try and include the conversions for those who prefer pounds. I don't always remember, but I am conscientious of the fact that most Americans prefer to not need to convert.

As a matter of preference, I use metric for my own personal measurements. I don't require/expect them from anyone else. Because I use metric at home, I prefer to log in metric. Doing the conversions daily would be tedious.

Edit: If it helps, I started with MFP at 225 lbs (BMI 38.5)

That's not my highest, which I can only estimate at around 230 and maybe 235 (BMI around 40).

I am currently bouncing around 156-158 pounds (BMI around 27)

My lowest doing CICO was 165 (and I could not sustain that for more than a couple weeks). This is where my original goal came from (BMI 28).

The lowest I have been before the wedding was 153 (BMI 26).

And, my "semi-goal" is 143 pounds which would put me right into the normal weight range (BMI 24.5).

I am a very short man at 5'4" tall. Which is why some of these numbers may seem pretty small.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    sbom1 wrote: »
    Echo the over 50, female sentiment...[. . .]decided to monitor calories and limit to 1375-1600 depending on activity, just now starting to see the scale budge a very small amount. Post-menopausal women with history of dieting will not lose weight on LCHF without limiting the calories

There's a lot of confusion in this thread. I am asking for people who are eating a lot of calories to tell me about it. If you're convinced (possibly correctly) that you can't eat 2000+ calories a day, that's fine. This thread isn't saying you should up your calories to this level. You're just not the target audience for this thread. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a very rare demographic on here who is aiming for maintenance (or at least 2000 calories plus) level low-carb diets. You think hitting <20g of carbs a day when eating 1300 calories is tough, it's a bit more difficult for those hitting twice as many calories (assuming they aren't nuts like me).

Granted, some people eating higher are also aiming for non-keto carb levels. Still, it's not about what level you can eat and still lose weight. That's a different thread. This is asking who, out there, is eating 2000 calories, or more, or around that amount, each day. If this thread was asking who was 6 foot tall or taller, I wouldn't expect a bunch of people coming in and complaining that they are only 5'5" and that's because they're a woman and genetics and such.

If you're, instead, wishing to argue the need for tracking, counting, and restricting calories to lose weight... you've accidentally posted in the wrong thread. That's the thread for counting calories. This thread has nothing to do with weight loss. It's just purely about consumption levels.

Wow, brutal. I've always felt welcome here until now. I'm not insisting on anything nor arguing (go back and reread). I'm just adding a different perspective for others who might be out there like me. No worries, I'll definitley avoid your threads going forward.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    sbom1 wrote: »
    Wow, brutal. I've always felt welcome here until now. I'm not insisting on anything nor arguing (go back and reread). I'm just adding a different perspective for others who might be out there like me. No worries, I'll definitley avoid your threads going forward.

I apologize if you took that personally. It's not really aimed at you, although you happened to be the specific person I quoted as an example. There are plenty of other posts I could have picked. I just scrolled up and picked the first "I'm not able to eat that much" post.

There's no need to avoid my threads. I think, under most circumstances, you'll find I'm one of the most accepting people on here. I'm all about people doing what works for them. Even in the specific thread about counting calories, I welcome you to come and tell me that you need to count (even though I say you shouldn't).

The only thing I am pointing out is that this thread was asking for people who eat a bunch to chime in. If you go back and read it, there's really no statement that you need to eat this much or should be eating this much. I quote the USDA numbers for maintenance for women (which is not what most women here are trying to achieve nor is it even applicable to all women who might be).

I get it. I do. Most people aren't eating this much. Most people can't/won't eat this much because it isn't in their current goals. That's fine. But, I already knew (from reading every other thread) that most people here are eating much less than I am.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    <snip>

Your percentages must be for the grams. Keep in mind that fat has more than twice the calories per gram as protein. As a result, his caloric ratios (as normally referenced in keto circles) are closer to 75/25. Not far from what you're already doing.

You are right. Trying to do this in a hurry at lunch reminds me of the phrase: "Haste Makes Waste."

Could be the slogan for a fast food franchise, "Haste Makes Waist."
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sorry FIT, I seem to have diverted the thread. The only excuse I can offer is the same one Geraldine gave:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaiLcwHXB4
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    Sorry FIT, I seem to have diverted the thread. The only excuse I can offer is the same one Geraldine gave:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaiLcwHXB4

lol, no worries. I think this thread is hopelessly diverted. Half of it is about the specifics of my diet and the way I eat. A third of it is about how some people can't eat this much. There are a few people who do eat as much as I do. Not a whole lot.

In a way, it can be very weird to be in my spot. All day long I read about people in very different parts of their journey than I am. I like those times when I can help someone who is trying to figure it out, but I would like to know I'm not the only person who is eating the way/amount I do. People who eat larger amounts of calories but still avoid carbs.

Eh, maybe it's not to be. This is a weight loss site, after-all. And MFP is based on the idea of caloric restriction. I suppose those who succeed don't hang about any more. I'm an outlier in that respect too.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    P.S. My answer to your using metric on this group: "Me alegro de que usted tiene que perder el tiempo traduciendo de este mensaje de un idioma a otro . Ahora, usted sabe cómo me siento. Las unidades métricas e inglesas son como a diferentes idiomas. Estamos en los EE.UU. hablan el idioma del"[/b]

{I am glad that you have to waste time translating this message from one language to another. Now, you know how I feel. Metric and English units are as different languages. We are in the US speak the language of}

lol, sorry that it bugs you. I'll try and include the conversions more often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system
    The metric system has been officially sanctioned for use in the United States since 1866, but it remains the only industrialised country that has not adopted the metric system as its official system of measurement. Many sources also cite Liberia and Burma as the only other countries not to have done so. Although the United Kingdom uses the metric system for most official purposes, the use of the imperial system of measure, particularly for use at home, is widespread and is permitted by the law.

It could be said that I am causing fewer people to need to translate my units than those who use pounds. Although, I end up using weird mixes of units (for example, I use calories and not joules because that's what my labels read).

The truth be told, I don't see why most people would need to translate most units anyway. If my weight is going down, that's the same in kg as in lbs. The above graph, for example, would look identical except the specific labels would change for each point. When talking about my measurements, I do [usually] try and include the conversions for those who prefer pounds. I don't always remember, but I am conscientious of the fact that most Americans prefer to not need to convert.

As a matter of preference, I use metric for my own personal measurements. I don't require/expect them from anyone else. Because I use metric at home, I prefer to log in metric. Doing the conversions daily would be tedious.

Edit: If it helps, I started with MFP at 225 lbs (BMI 38.5)

That's not my highest, which I can only estimate at around 230 and maybe 235 (BMI around 40).

I am currently bouncing around 156-158 pounds (BMI around 27)

My lowest doing CICO was 165 (and I could not sustain that for more than a couple weeks). This is where my original goal came from (BMI 28).

The lowest I have been before the wedding was 153 (BMI 26).

And, my "semi-goal" is 143 pounds which would put me right into the normal weight range (BMI 24.5).

I am a very short man at 5'4" tall. Which is why some of these numbers may seem pretty small.

When I was a child (in the 60's), I use a triple beam 1000 gram scale and I did chemistry with it by weighing out chemicals. And I used the metric system sporadically in my professional career as a tool & die maker, since 1977. Since I arrived here in Michigan in 1994, (in the tool & moldmaking), we used length units "millimeters. All machining machines (mills, lathes, surface grinders, etc) in the United States were made in inch units. These machines last 10 - 50 years.

I am now in Michigan, the hub of the Car industry. They have been on the metric system since (I think) the 80's or late 70's. Unfortunately, people that build all the tooling for the car industry, aren't going to go out and buying millions of dollars worth of metric graduated equipment. So conversion was instituted. Converting to metric has been an epic failure.

And that's not all, since the auto companies specify their parts in metric, the tooling companies have to convert every dimension from metric to inches. Some even simple parts can have dozen or hundreds of dimensions. As a person converts them, they make mistakes and the tooling gets built wrong. There probably has been untold millions of dollars of mistakes made because of this. And you wonder why the American auto industry isn't competitive? And why American cars are so expensive? Well, that's part of it. It was a stupid idea to change to metric when we are in inches. It was a another well intentioned idea (made into law) by the government.

Have you ever heard of well intentioned idea from the government that has to do with diet or food pyramids?

I rest my case...

I hope this helps,

P.S. I knew how much you weighed in pounds, (I still have to calculate it) but I doubt that only a fraction of the hundreds of people, that read your post, knew. Yes, the Aussies probably know, and other foreign countries, but I would reckon that 90% of the readers know what a pound is.

From my memory:

1 oz = 28.35 grams
    1 pound = 453.9 grams
    1 kilo is 2.2 pounds

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    :D I was born the year the metric system was introduced to Australia so I grew up with imperial measurements at home and metric measures at school. I have found this to be particularly useful. Many bathroom scales interchange between the two.
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like I am the only "high" calorie low carb eater around these parts. Am I really the only person with a 2,000 calorie/day floor (that's as low as I go) and a 2,500+ calorie/day average? I know I am probably unique in this aspect because I am teetering on the edge of maintenance (losing 0.25-0.5 lbs a week, if anything). But, come on. You can't all be starving yourselves! :p

How many more people here eat plenty of food (or don't track but probably exceed 1800+ calories each day)?

My calories are set at a 1 pound loss per week, just for S&G's. This gives me 1750 as a starting point. Like you, I eat when I'm hungry. I try to always start with my fats and go from there. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm feeling crummy, I eat lots of fat and sodium and find that it usually was electrolytes going out of balance. Like this weekend, I think I hit Keto Flu instead of just carb flu (I hit ballpark 20 net carbs instead of 35-50, as I'd set out start), but I'm feeling 90% again, and well on the road back to awesomeness.

The calories are kind of a ballpark starting point. More often than not, with two walks and minor activity I burn 300-500 calories daily, without an HRM to even show how much more I might be burning on activities that don't include steps as a counter (doing laundry at the laundromat burns a bunch that doesn't end up in my tracker).

So, with moderate activity, my calories easily end up of 2000 in any given day. Do I care? Not really. I'm tracking for the sake of carbs and macros. Calories are a byproduct. Kind of random data like my daily scale tracking for now. As I'm learning my body's rhythms again, I find that I kind of level out in that range (1800 on a lower activity day, nearer 2000-2200 on a heavy activity day) without worrying about calories themselves.

I am losing slowly. I'm around the ten pound mark and today is day 40 something...but I'm down a few inches too, so I'm not worried. I also have PCOS, but before I started out on LCHF, a number of other factors (conditions previously untreated and some supplements to balance me out until my diet gets everything under control) were addressed and got my hormones fairly close to balanced. I do use Metformin to help with the insulin resistance that was questionable on blood work, but I had all the symptoms of, but I think I may be able to go off that when I go back to the doctor in April.

As long as I feel as good as I do when not in flu stage, I figure I'm gaining health and the weight losses will follow whenever the heck they get around to it. I spent the better part of last year really getting my head and heart in the right parts of this game, so to speak. And I've found awesome support from @Dragonwolf and @Alliwan as well as several others here now too! It has made this transition to gaining ground on better health so much more sane for me!

Thanks to all!!

Awesome, very helpful!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I do keto so I won't die. ... Keto is what I eat, weight loss is how much of it I eat.

I love how you defined that! It makes sense. I hope you are with us for a long time to come, JPW!
    The Eat more to Weigh Less group makes good sense to me too, but I have a hard time sticking with weight workouts :/. No problem with eating more though. :).