I give up

Options
I give up trying specific/new/fantastically farcical fad diets.
I give up worrying about every little detail.
I give up skipping my favourite foods.
I give up wanting to be different just to change the opinion of others.
I give up making goals I cannot obtain.

That being said...
I give up giving up.
- Get a grip and hold on tight.
I give up fast "food" breakfasts (as often as I can).
- Make it just as fast at home. Better for my wallet and gut.
I give up dine in/ take out (as much as I can).
- Aside from a special occasion, why bother?
I give up giving up my favourite foods.
- I want, I eat. Just show some control on how much and how often.
I give up making excuses to not exercise.
- I work 7 days a week, but I can still get in a minimum of 10-15 minutes a day.

I am giving up not because I need to but because I want to.

Don't worry about the minutia it will only complicate things more than needed. Sweat the small stuff when it is no longer small.

Replies

• cwms3rd
    cwms3rd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Dude awesome list. I feel a lot of what you said. A lot of times I feel like giving up but this list has given me a different perspective on giving up. Thanks. Have a great weekend.
  • BillyBro57
    Options
    It's not complicated: eat less-move more
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    Complicated? Nope, not by a long shot.
    But not easy either. If it was, places like MFP may never exist.

Eat less, do more is a motto I have adopted this year.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I would do MFP better by helping people understand the scale doesn’t define you. Fitness is not weight, it is composition, and functional capacity. Yet, they have bought into the calorie math as the end all, be all. Our ancestors had no idea what calories were and yet, they weren’t nearly as fat as we are. Think about that.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    Exactly Allan. Scale is not the be all end all.
  • dsk1000
    dsk1000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Our ancestors didn't have desk jobs.
  • marksniles
    marksniles Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would do MFP better by helping people understand the scale doesn’t define you. Fitness is not weight, it is composition, and functional capacity. Yet, they have bought into the calorie math as the end all, be all. Our ancestors had no idea what calories were and yet, they weren’t nearly as fat as we are. Think about that.

I have long wished for a reliable body fat measuring device that could be practically and as easily used at home as the scale is... Impedance-based scales are next to useless, and I'm not sure I want to go through the expense of getting a DEXA scan or get dunked every month to track progress... calipers and measurements are OK, but not terribly accurate either, and don't show small progression increments accurately enough...

So, at least for me, that leaves the scale and functional/athletic capacity as my only reliable, incremental ways to measure progress. I count calories as ways to improve the scale, and move my body as ways to improve my capacity... I also know that these cross over, as it is easier to move when I weigh less, and moving generates a better deficit... so for me, at least, it's the best I know.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

I have long wished for a reliable body fat measuring device that could be practically and as easily used at home as the scale is... Impedance-based scales are next to useless, and I'm not sure I want to go through the expense of getting a DEXA scan or get dunked every month to track progress... calipers and measurements are OK, but not terribly accurate either, and don't show small progression increments accurately enough...

So, at least for me, that leaves the scale and functional/athletic capacity as my only reliable, incremental ways to measure progress. I count calories as ways to improve the scale, and move my body as ways to improve my capacity... I also know that these cross over, as it is easier to move when I weigh less, and moving generates a better deficit... so for me, at least, it's the best I know.

Body measurements (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms, and upper legs). If you measure at the same time of day, once every two weeks, you’ll see trends that show you you’re losing fat and/or gaining muscle. Shirtless pictures (front and side) also help.

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    I'm due for another round of measuring. I can see progress in the mirror, clothes and belt holes, so I am assuming I have made some progress on the tape measure as well.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    Measurements can really help with motivation when the scale shows little to no movement.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Measurements can really help with motivation when the scale shows little to no movement.

The scale means very little. The scale doesn’t tell you if you’re losing fat or muscle. If you lost more muscle than fat, would you be happy the scale was going down? Cutting off a limb would cause an immediate reduction in your weight, is that a good thing? The point is to change your body composition. I don’t care what my weight is, so long as my body fat is below 20%.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    You make a great point about composition vs. weight loss.. What most people call "overweight" is more often than not, "overfat". The number on the scale is more of a symptom than the root of the problem.

For me, I have reasons beyond just aesthetics to more weight - specifically, I have a chronic knee issue, and hope to hold off on needing further work done as long as possible by keeping the weight down and the leg strong, and also, there are some specific athletic goals that I want to achieve that are easier to accomplish at lower weight.
  • FLfitguy
    FLfitguy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I go to a trainer. He does the caliper measurements every 60 days. I'm taking a lot of protein in lean chicken or fish and protein shakes. I'm also watching my calories from bread or sweets and slowly I'm adding muscle and trimming belly fat.