Over 40, recently gained weight, not ready to accept the "40's spread"!

Options
Anyone else gained weight after turning 40, even though you are active and eat well? I am exasperated at the fact that I can work out 11 hours/week and still gain 1+ inches on each thigh. Nope. Not gonna do it. That will not stand. So, I'm back on MFP, seen a sports nutritionist, and had bloodwork done. I'm now lifting weights 3x/week, eating more protein, and started on a bunch of supplements and thyroid meds. I'm hopeful this will work. Have any of you experienced this? What has worked (or not worked) for you?

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes. Yes.
  • crstna30
    crstna30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I gained 15!bs and not happy about it!! Started back on this app, working out 4x a week and taking my thyroid meds as prescribed!! I will not be defeated!!!
  • djgoody800
    Options
    i can so relate!! I too have been on thyroid meds for the last couple years!! whats with women and their Thyroids!!??? ;( i have joined a body transformation challenge hoping that will help with issues with nutrition and exercise. I was in weight watchers but wasn't working the program. It works if you works it...i'm hoping the challenge will re-focus my habits. After all, you really need to have a lifestyle change to stay the course in being healthy. That is my focus, as the pounds or inches will fall off if I'm consistent! good luck to you all!!
  • Haleyandrews747
    Haleyandrews747 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have and its horrible. Its like i woke up one morning and haf extra inches and lbs. Its taking forever to take off. I dont accept that when you age, you have to gain weight. Im 50
  • WaterGurrl
    WaterGurrl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. Gained 20. Now I'm lifting like you, eating my protein and supplements. Best wishes to you!
  • Haleyandrews747
    Haleyandrews747 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you and same to you. Keep me posted on your progress..
  • sharonbrookes332
    Options
    I'm 54. I've gained 10 lbs in the last 4 years. So frustrating! I log my food, workout 5 days a week and eat clean. Weight just won't budge. Need suggestions.
  • cataire3
    cataire3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm 47 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at around 40. It's been an uphill battle. But this myfitnesspal counting calories seems to be the one thing that may help (although its only been four days since I started....but I've lost two pounds)! Is it helping you?
  • cataire3
    cataire3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh, actually it says I lost one and a half pounds. I thought I'd lost two. Wishful thinking I guess!
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm 54. I've gained 10 lbs in the last 4 years. So frustrating! I log my food, workout 5 days a week and eat clean. Weight just won't budge. Need suggestions.

Decrease your daily calorie intake. Start with a given number (say, 100, or 200 less, I don't know where you are now), stick to it for a couple of weeks, and see how it goes.
  • busyeyes88
    busyeyes88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    But if you are weight training muscles weigh heavier than fat. So I suggest measuring how your clothes fit and not just the scales! :)
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble also losing the last few kilos, I am also going to see a dietitian to make sure I am eating the right balance of fat carbs and protein for the amount of exercise I do. I do 3 weight sessions and 2c
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hit the wrong button. 2cardio sessions a week, eat clean and count calories, so I know I need help with my diet.
  • sh3llbell
    sh3llbell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cataire3 wrote: »
    Yes! I'm 47 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at around 40. It's been an uphill battle. But this myfitnesspal counting calories seems to be the one thing that may help (although its only been four days since I started....but I've lost two pounds)! Is it helping you?

Have noticed a big difference since turning 40 (am now about to turn 45).. not helped by not being able to exercise routinely due to injury after injury... How many calories are you eating cataire3?? I have just had my thyroid levels checked and all normal..