Inositol

Options
Hey ladies! I was curious if any of you had heard of inositol or if you've tried it (if so, what were the results?) I seem to find a lot of conflicted information that you are required to take folic acid while taking it? I'd love to talk to my OBG about it but I got laid off in Decemeber and just haven't been able to find an affordable insurance as of yet... my last pack of Marlissa (BCP) runs out on 4/1 and I'm getting pretty concerned with my options. It's been the only thing to keep my hormones fairly balanced this last year :/

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yes quite a few of us take it. Try https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10092250/inositol-questions-poll#latest and http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10094126/whats-working-or-not-working-for-you#Item_10 from the threads here. Lots of Inositol info in there.

I do take it, about 6g a day but a couple here take more and a few take less.
  • heatherface87
    heatherface87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much! Much appreciated, so overwhelmed with trying to figure out what to do next! This information helps out a lot :)
  • Alliwan
    Options
    Thank you so very much! Much appreciated, so overwhelmed with trying to figure out what to do next! This information helps out a lot :)

No problem. Welcome to the group. PCOS is overwhelming itself. It is so different for each woman who has it so it is good to get all the info and then decide what works for you. There a a WHOLE lot of info here if you read thru some of the threads.

It is awesome you are being proactive about your health.
  • heatherface87
    Options
    I was diagnosed last March, I've been trying really hard to handle it by going Paleo (recently switching over to clean eating), joined Camp Gladiator/ do boot camp daily and run at least 20 mi a week.... really close to being down 70 lbs but it's been a serious struggle lol I just worry that if I'm off the BCP my hormones will go haywire and I'll be set back and it'll be that much harder to keep trying to lose the weight. *sigh*

Just started using MFP and was super excited to see there was a support group for PCOS! I really hope to learn some interesting tidbits that might make it a little easier until I have insurance and can see my OBG. :)
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Metformin was destroying my stomach so I went off of it for a month and started Inositol 1/4 tsp of Jarrow powder. I feel so much better when I take it but if I take more that 1/4 tsp, I get bad heart burn. I have an OBGYN appt on Monday and I plan to discuss it with him so I will come back and let you know what he says...
  • heatherface87
    Options
    That would be wonderful! Thank you so much :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last March, I've been trying really hard to handle it by going Paleo (recently switching over to clean eating), joined Camp Gladiator/ do boot camp daily and run at least 20 mi a week.... really close to being down 70 lbs but it's been a serious struggle lol I just worry that if I'm off the BCP my hormones will go haywire and I'll be set back and it'll be that much harder to keep trying to lose the weight. *sigh*

Just started using MFP and was super excited to see there was a support group for PCOS! I really hope to learn some interesting tidbits that might make it a little easier until I have insurance and can see my OBG. :)

If you're only taking the BCP for hormone regulation, look into Vitex. A number of women on here take it to great effect. It's a general hormone-balancing herb that may help you fill the gap your BCP is about to leave behind.
    stefne888 wrote: »
    Metformin was destroying my stomach so I went off of it for a month and started Inositol 1/4 tsp of Jarrow powder. I feel so much better when I take it but if I take more that 1/4 tsp, I get bad heart burn. I have an OBGYN appt on Monday and I plan to discuss it with him so I will come back and let you know what he says...

Odds are, he won't have any idea about it. If he does, I'd be pleasantly surprised. Most doctors -- even OB/GYN doctors -- have very little knowledge of PCOS, especially when it comes to treatments that aren't the usual Metformin, birth control, Spiro trifecta. If he's open to learning more about it, though, he's definitely worthwhile to keep, and already head and shoulders above most other doctors.
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am blown away, the dr mentioned it before I did. Apparently, it's not approved yet so insurances won't cover it. They are working on getting it approved.
  • asm2014
    asm2014 Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    you can always purchase the myo inositol which isn't as expensive as the dci version.
  • Alliwan
    Options
    stefne888 wrote: »
    I am blown away, the dr mentioned it before I did. Apparently, it's not approved yet so insurances won't cover it. They are working on getting it approved.

Amazon has a few powdered and pill versions for very cheap. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OUKPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 lasts me about 2 months, at 6g a day and is about $15
  • sansan007
    sansan007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies , I have beeen struggling with PCOS for a few years now but my weight has now gone up . I cant use metformin bevause of my intolerance for it , even when I slowly increase dosage . I am interested in DCI . Its a little expensive but what do u guys think