Macro percentages

elleykat
elleykat Posts: 75 Member
What do you have your macro percentages set at? Right now mine are
Carbs:20%
Protein: 35%
Fat: 45%
Not sure if I've got 'em in the right places though...

Replies

• SonyaRBA
    SonyaRBA Posts: 7 Member
    I have my carbs much lower (5-10%), protein higher (maybe 60%), and my fat is set to something near what you have. All of my low-carb dieting friends have their fat % goals set higher than 45%. It's very difficult to maintain that level when you are eating loads of pure protein topped with cheese (which is how I like it)! But everyone is different. When I first started out, I began with sky high limits of fat and protein. As long as my carbs were kept low- I mean below 50g or less per day- everything else fell into place and the weight melted off of me. Good luck to you! Feel free to friend me. I'll support you.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    5/19/76
    Mine are set by grams, based on the keto calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/, rather than setting them by the percentages. If you want to check, that calculator still works, even if you're not trying to do full keto. Just adjust the carbs to where you want them, answer the rest of the questions, and it will give you appropriate percentages.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Calories 1418 (+300 for breastfeeding)
    Carbs 11% (39g)
    Protein 25% (89g)
    Fats 64% (101g)

I used the keto calculator referenced by @JPW1990 and a carb goal of 40(ish, apparently) to get those numbers.
  • jennmac415
    jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
    I don't like that you can only set the percentages in increments of 5. I always use my iPad or smart phone and I haven't figured out how to download that script everyone talks about where you can change your percentages in increments of 1 if you want to be more precise.
  • JPW1990
    jennmac415 wrote: »
    I don't like that you can only set the percentages in increments of 5. I always use my iPad or smart phone and I haven't figured out how to download that script everyone talks about where you can change your percentages in increments of 1 if you want to be more precise.

You have to use the script in firefox or chrome on a computer. It doesn't work on mobile. Once you set the numbers on the computer, it will save your goals and you can enter your data with mobile. Just don't open the option to update them on your phone or it will revert to 5%, always change it on a computer.
  • jennmac415
    jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks, JPW, I will give that a try.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Calories 1870
    Carbs 10% gross carbs this is less than 50 gross and nets carbs about 30.
    Protein 30%
    Fat 60%
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Calories 1870
    Carbs 10% gross carbs this is less than 50 gross and nets carbs about 30.
    Protein 30%
    Fat 60%

I'm restarting of after a few years off and that is what I'm set at.

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    My Macros are set at 59 Fat, 33 Protein, and 8 carbs, readjusted this morning.

This is my first time watching the macros this carefully. I used to just try to limit my carbs, but wow, what a difference making sure there's enough fat has made. "Fat is bad" was so ingrained in my mind that even when I knew fat was okay, I never saw fat as crucial.

I'm really having trouble keeping the protein down, though. One meal with chicken and WHAM.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    I also use grams, not percentages. I use the percentages on MFP as a guide to make sure my grams are in range, but I am not a slave to them. My goals are 75-100 g protein/day, under 50 g (preferably far under) total carbs/day (it is set at 18 g/day in MFP, my usual range is probably 20-30 g total carbs, sometimes under, sometimes over), and the rest fat, anywhere from 80-110 g, with as much of that as saturated fat as possible.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    1725 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    75 g Carbohydrates (17%)
    75 g Protein (17%)
    125 g Fat (66%)

Where do I find this script mentioned above?
  • JPW1990
    Keliandra wrote: »
    1725 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    75 g Carbohydrates (17%)
    75 g Protein (17%)
    125 g Fat (66%)

Where do I find this script mentioned above?

Here's the script to add a net carbs column:
    http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/

Here's the script to set your goals in 1% or gram increments:
    https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

Both have to be added in chrome or firefox on a computer. The net carb script only works on a computer. The increment script has to be used on a computer, but once you save your goals, they should carry over to mobile, as long as you never open the goals screen on your phone, only make changes to them on the computer.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Thank you JPW :)