New to clean eating

Options
2»

Replies

• karmie625
    karmie625 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too... Check Pinterest... Lots of good stuff out there. I am on day 1 of the 21 day sugar detox... Will still keep my calories at MFP settings and will see what happens.
  • cthobaben
    cthobaben Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new here to this group also! I am wanting to start clean eating so that I can shed some weight and be able to keep up with my two sons. I think the food choices that I've made hasn't been helping and I need to be more mindful of what goes in my mouth and the mouths of those that I am responsible for :)
  • cbradley903
    cbradley903 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to the group this is the frost time I have joined any community type forums. I have been eating clean for over a month and have had great results. Many times it would seem to most I am not getting the calories needed but the volume of food I am able to take in with the exercise I am able to get it equals out for some steady results. I have a long way to go still but don't like the diet word. I want to keep going. I was able to give up soda and I don't drink coffee water with items in it is my fav go to. Lemons limes Apple mint ect. Looking for friends that want to eat clean and workout. FYI I am over 50 and also have the misfit shine. Due to the fact I love to work out in the water and teach classes as well. Yes big girls do work at the local pool. But can still rock it. I have lost 20 lbs total would like to loose a lot more. Anyone in? Or have ideas. I love my veggies but am not a vegetarian. Look me up
  • suntomoon
    Options
    Astrid - and any others that live in parental situations...I assume that the folks know what you're doing? If so, why not offer to make dinner every Thursday? That way you can find a recipe, make a big dish of it and give them a night off (their appreciation will go way beyond the "taste" of the dish) and you will have legitimate leftovers for yourself next day.
    - Just a thought.

• BlueMoon_1
    BlueMoon_1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mommylern5 wrote: »
    I'm confused about sugar? For example sugar for tea or on oatmeal or such what would be the best thing?
    Suggar is a processed from either beats or cane. You can use honey instead of it. If you do not like honey, you can squizz the juice out of baked beats.

• quo55
    quo55 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I keep my coffee, but I drink it black, and I grind organic beans. Coffee actually has health benefits!
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I tried reading up on clean eating and thought I might like to give it a try, so I printed a list and took with me to the grocery store.
    I need to ask about the artificial sweetners though. @Katya, you say they are much worse for you than sugar... I'm confused as to what I'll use to sweeten my tea...I don't want to use sugar, I don't like the taste of honey, and I can't imagine using syrup in my tea.
    Do you have another suggestion? I drink flavored water or water with lemon 98% of the time, but I use artificial sweetners with both the tea and water with lemon... Thank you
  • kmayers143
    kmayers143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    great job on the coffee elimination.....my one vice I can't seem to shake.

That's my problem as well. I don't know if it's the coffee that's the bad part of the sweeteners. Almost everything else I consume it so clean I don't get why I can't quit the coffee

yep, I know I am addicted. If I don't have a cup in the morning, I have a headache all day. I am going to drink less on Monday. Just one cup and see how that affects me. Also half of the sugar. sschiano1987 you in with me? hahaha....I need a partner in crime...I will tell you how I do the day after.

One cup of coffee a day is not bad for you. It's all the creamer and sugar that you add in there that is bad for you. Even though that's the thing that makes coffee so delicious! But I did find this Silk Vanilla Almond Creamer at Walmart that I have been putting in my morning coffee. It is sweet, but natural. And let me tell you, It has really helped me give up my sugar filled coffees in the morning!! Even my peppermint white mochas from Starbucks! It's worth giving a try if you don't want to give up coffee!! :)
  • ilovesoccer13
    Options
    jazzyjez wrote: »
    I'm confused about sugar? For example sugar for tea or on oatmeal or such what would be the best thing?

Once I quit sugar (including honey, syrup etc), fruit started to taste very sweet! I use fruit (whatever is in season) and nuts (usually pecans or walnuts) on my oatmeal where I used to use brown sugar and butter. I don't miss the old ingredients at all!

I have quit any added sugars also, even honey. Now fruit tastes so much better and anything with added sugars is sickeningly sweet. But one thing I can't find without added sugar is whole wheat bread.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I tried reading up on clean eating and thought I might like to give it a try, so I printed a list and took with me to the grocery store.
    I need to ask about the artificial sweetners though. @Katya, you say they are much worse for you than sugar... I'm confused as to what I'll use to sweeten my tea...I don't want to use sugar, I don't like the taste of honey, and I can't imagine using syrup in my tea.
    Do you have another suggestion? I drink flavored water or water with lemon 98% of the time, but I use artificial sweetners with both the tea and water with lemon... Thank you

You could try coconut sugar. Also, remember that the longer you can stick with a less sweet diet, the less you will need any sweeteners. Your body adjusts to the flavor. Most cultures would think Americans are crazy for the amount of sugar in all our food. It's just too sweet.
  • suntomoon
    Options
    Caffeine - I have just found out - is metabolized by everybody slightly differently (and this is not a dig for people who drink it!) but I recently had DNA sample done and caffeine is very very slowly metabolized in my body -- so that one cup a day actually keeps my caffeine levels raised for 12 hours! Thought this was interesting.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone! New to this group and loving that I see so many like minded people I can turn to for advice and support!
    I started my clean eating with Whole30 and loved it but wanted to bring back some dairy and some sweeteners. I use organic half and half (1-2 Tbs) and pure maple syrup (1-2 Tbs) in my coffee. Being a Vermonter, real maple syrup is practically a staple. LOL
    That is basically the only added sugar and dairy that I use.....when I'm behaving nutritionally. LOL
    I have a long way to go but I'm trying and thank God I have a very supportive boyfriend to encourage (and occasionally browbeat LOL) me!
    I would like to come as close to dropping 20 pounds by May 2nd when we go on our cruise. Hopefully I can stick to this! :)
  • KallieFuller14454
    Options
    CoachKatya wrote: »
    When I talk to my clients about clean eating I go over a few rules:

1. The list of ingredients on the package should be short. No more than 3 - 5 ingredients, all of which you can recognize. No carrageenan, sodium benzoate, EDTA, etc..
    2. The more whole foods you can incorporate into your diet the better. When things are isolated, altered, etc. the natural balance is lost.
    3. Whole foods are usually those that do not have ingredients. They are ingredients :smile:
    4. The simpler the food the better it is for you.
    5. No added sugar! (read statement #2) It includes HFCS, cane sugar, evaporated cane juice, ets. I recommend using dates, and maple syrup to sweeten your food from time to time :smile:
    6. No artificial sweeteners. They are not better than sugar. They are worse! Much worse!
    7. No sodas... Water and herbal teas are the best liquids to consume.

Overall going back to nature in terms of natural real food is always going to benefit your health. It takes sometime to develop new habits, but it is SO rewarding! Your body will thank you! Here is my blog with clean recipes you can try: http://wellnesswithkatya.com/category/recipes/

• dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/food-health/food-and-health-news/what-is-clean-eating/
    http://mobile.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/10_ways_to_eat_clean
    Here are some really good links that define what clean eating is for all of you that are wondering.... And tips on how to achieve this type of lifestyle.
  • dawny17
    Options

Once I quit sugar (including honey, syrup etc), fruit started to taste very sweet! I use fruit (whatever is in season) and nuts (usually pecans or walnuts) on my oatmeal where I used to use brown sugar and butter. I don't miss the old ingredients at all!

I have quit any added sugars also, even honey. Now fruit tastes so much better and anything with added sugars is sickeningly sweet. But one thing I can't find without added sugar is whole wheat bread.. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    You can make your own bread by hand (time consuming) or with a bread machine (my choice) this way you can control the amount of sugar added, but remember yeast needs sugar in order to do it's job. I buy organic cane sugar or use honey in my bread recipes, that way I know my sugar is clean.

• dawny17
    Options

You can use stevia, it is a plant and is very sweet. I personally think it tastes like artificial sweeteners, but it's considered to be clean, also you can look for sucanat it's the closest thing to raw sugar Both can be found at health food stores.
  • cthobaben
    cthobaben Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I believe Ezekiel bread does not contain any sugar.
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As a sugar alternative Stevia is great! Its a natural plant based sweetner! Is a little different from sugar and probably not for everyone but I love it!! I use it in my coffee and baking etc!! I am training for a half marathon and generally trying to lose some weight (5-10kgs ideally!!) Have been clean eating for only a week but was on and off before that, just needed a kick up the backside to get me back on track properly!!