Fat Bomb recipes?

Options
homesweeths
homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
I made fat bombs the other day. It was pretty simple: 4 TBS coconut oil, 2 TBS organic raw cacao powder, a bit of stevia. I am not thrilled with the stevia. I'd rather have the chocolate unsweetened, frankly.

I might try again, adding a TBS of raw honey instead of the stevia (17g carbs/sugar, from what I found when I looked it up), divided into two servings of 8 or 9 carbs per serving.

Do you have a go-to recipe for adding fat to your diet? I was looking for a chocolate fix. Otherwise, I'd just make BP coffee, or add an avocado to a meal -- but I'm out of avocados, and won't get to the store until Monday, probably.

I have plenty of coconut oil and cacao powder, though...

Replies

• katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Stacked Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Bombs

Makes 12 Servings | Per Serving: Cal 168, Net Carbs 1

Ingredients

3/4 cup coconut oil
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1/4 cup almond butter
    liquid Splenda to taste
    Heat coconut oil until melted. Divide among three bowls.

In one bowl, stir in the cocoa powder until completely dissolved. Add liquid Splenda to taste, about 6 drops.

In another bowl, add peanut butter to the coconut oil and blend until smooth. Add Splenda to taste.

In the last bowl, just add Splenda to taste.

To make single-serving fat bombs, use a square mold or muffin cups. Divide the chocolate flavored oil among 12 small cups. Set the mixture into the refrigerator until firm, about 10 minutes.

Spoon the peanut butter mixture on top of the chocolate layer. Return to the refrigerator to set.

When firm, remove the molds from the fridge and pour the remaining clear layer over the peanut butter. Chill until ready to serve.

From lowcarbadiem. com
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Hmmm. Might try it without the Splenda. Or maybe substitute just a little honey or coconut sugar. I tried stevia but didn't like it, and the only other artificial sweetener that doesn't make me crave sweets is xylitol. I'll have a piece of xylitol gum once in a great while when I'm out and about if I feel like my breath is bad.

Other than the gum in the car, I don't keep xylitol in the house because it is so deadly to pets.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I used to like fat bombs with nothing to sweeten (now I don't need them with my BP coffee). I destroyed a coffee once with stevia... never again. And everyone here knows my stance on artificial sweeteners of which Splenda is likely the worst... but terrific marketing strategy for sure.

I've researched the sugar alcohols -the jury is still out- and while I'm not vehemently opposed to them in small amounts, I doubt they offer anything beneficial. I'm ok with it in gum just so my kid can have some occasionally.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I get some of my fat from BP coffee, but if I get to the end of the day still way low on calories, a fat bomb seems like a good solution. I can't drink coffee after noon or 1 p.m. anymore! Pity. I used to be able to drink it all day long and still sleep deeply at night. Probably wasn't healthy, but better than soft drinks, or so I told myself at the time.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I think that I under-ate in the start of my Primal/Paleo journey (thanks MFP and preconceived calorie notions!) has led to the fact that I never under-eat anymore. Last night I amazingly had a fairly small supper and no night snack... Amazing. But I did experience some difficulty with hunger through the night. Not too bad, I felt it but was still able to go back to sleep.

I don't generally have coffee late. Two or three BP coffees in addition to what i eat is loads of fat. I put fat on everything that isn't already fatty.

My appetite is only held in check by how i eat right now, but I no longer experience the extra fullness on fewer calories that I used to. Bummer.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I am never hungry on paleo/primal so long as I keep my carbs under 100 or so. But I have been having some strong cravings--again, not hunger, oddly enough. Last week I really wanted something sweet/tart/sour on one day, and another day I was restless for crunchiness. Not desperate, but literally restless.

I once accidentally made a crunchy snack by roasting frozen green beans. Ran them under cold water to thaw a bit, tossed with olive oil, spread in a pan, sprinkled with garlic powder and Himalayan salt, and baked for too long because I got called away. They ended up not burned, but dried, crispy, crunchy, really good. I haven't yet been able to duplicate that panful on purpose, though.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I discovered the best thing since sliced bread... Coconut butter. I've been making incredible fat bombs with this as a main ingredient. It is naturally sweet tasting.
    Miriamtob's "salted caramel" fat bombs
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/2 cup coconut butter
    1/3 cup shredded coconut
    2 tbs coconut milk or cream
    1 cup almond flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp salt
  • JessDickman72
    JessDickman72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I recently made hot coco BP style. I heated almond milk on the stove and put in blender with coconut oil, butter, dark chocolate chips added a little vanilla and let it go. Was so yummy even without honey :)
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I realize I am brand new to this eating style but I thought peanut butter was not Paleo or Primal? I also would like to know what the BP coffee is. Thanks
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Some people here might be "low carb" lifestyle, so peanut butter and artificial sweeteners may be acceptable to them.

However, depending on the person, and the quality of the peanut butter (there are peanut butters with only "peanuts" as an ingredient), some people can enjoy it without ill effect. Me, I'm not big fan of any processed foods that can stimulate me to over-eat so that would include peanut butter AND nut butters.

Bulletproof coffee can vary as well. Mine usually has equal amounts of butter and coconut oil blended in (full emulsification is the key or it's gross). Some people use MCT oil. Some people add an egg, gelatin, or any manner of things. It's my usual breakfast.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    I discovered the best thing since sliced bread... Coconut butter. I've been making incredible fat bombs with this as a main ingredient. It is naturally sweet tasting.
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/2 cup coconut butter
    1/3 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup almond flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp salt

This sounds yummy!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Rebamae wrote: »
    I realize I am brand new to this eating style but I thought peanut butter was not Paleo or Primal? I also would like to know what the BP coffee is. Thanks

Peanuts are legumes, so technically they are not included on "yes" lists for paleo/primal eaters. In addition, peanuts are one of the most heavily sprayed crops, from what I've read. If you must eat peanuts, organic may well be the way to go. However, personally, I find I do better when I don't.

Actually, I don't even do a whole lot of nuts (like almond butter, as a substitute). I haven't tried sunflower seed butter yet. I'm thinking you're supposed to watch out against taking in too many Omega 6 fats (plant based fats) with relation to Omega 3 fats (which I think are also called saturated fats, from animals, coconut, avocado? I'm too tired to look it up).

I noticed the recipe for "Stacked Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Bombs" above had almond in the list of ingredients, and peanuts in the directions. I suspect someone took a peanut butter recipe and substituted almond butter. I hear it's a good substitute. I've seen some delicious-looking recipes online for chocolate-dipped peanut butter balls made with almond butter instead.

I admit, I'm going to pay more attention to fat bomb recipes that are coconut-based, rather than nut-based, but that's just me. I'm still following auto-immune protocol for the most part (had dairy yesterday, eating out, in the form of cheese and bleu cheese dressing, but that was the first in days).

Others may welcome the nut-based recipes, so bring 'em on!

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    "Swerve"- from Erythritol, is a different taste than stevia, not too expensive ~$9. 1lb. a finer powder than granular table sugar. some report a 'cooling' mouth feel after eating.
    - Is similar to xylitol.

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/2 cup coconut butter
    1/3 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup almond flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp salt

YUM! I'll have to try these. Although I have have VERY little trouble with getting more fat into my diet since I changed to all high quality saturated fats, grass fed pasture raised meats, etc. Easy ways to get more would be to just use more coconut oil/butter when cooking and just eat the coconut butter right out of the jar :wink:
  • homesweeths
    Options
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/2 cup coconut butter
    1/3 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup almond flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp salt

YUM! I'll have to try these. Although I have have VERY little trouble with getting more fat into my diet since I changed to all high quality saturated fats, grass fed pasture raised meats, etc. Easy ways to get more would be to just use more coconut oil/butter when cooking and just eat the coconut butter right out of the jar :wink:

Yeah, the day I posted that the larder was getting a bit bare. I was out of avocados and tired of eating coconut oil off a spoon, not really hungry enough to cook vegetables and slather them with butter, and had plenty of protein for the day. If it had been early in the day I could have had another BP coffee (clocking in at a lovely 25g of fat) but it was too late in the day for that.

Today is shopping day! Avocados, here I come...
  • miriamtob
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/2 cup coconut butter
    1/3 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup almond flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp salt

YUM! I'll have to try these. Although I have have VERY little trouble with getting more fat into my diet since I changed to all high quality saturated fats, grass fed pasture raised meats, etc. Easy ways to get more would be to just use more coconut oil/butter when cooking and just eat the coconut butter right out of the jar.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    You can usually find me eating out of the coconut butter jar
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use 1 T. of grade B Maple Syrup - sweetens well without being too sweet- you just have to be sure to really mix it in with the coconut oil- it wants to separate.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I recently made hot coco BP style. I heated almond milk on the stove and put in blender with coconut oil, butter, dark chocolate chips added a little vanilla and let it go. Was so yummy even without honey :)

oooh! I definitely have to try that!