Zits

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
There are theories that insulin levels are associated with acne, but I couldn't find any confirming studies.

This paper lays out the theory:
http://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/336404

So I'm curious if any of the self-experimenters here have seen an effect. Do you see an increase, decrease, or no change in acne associated with your carb intake?

Replies

• melyndavaz
    melyndavaz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My face is much more clear when my carb consumption is low. However, when I first decreased my carb intake I had a horrible breakout and then my skin looked so much nicer after that.
  • ruthieo7
    ruthieo7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have never had acne however my face has been smooth and nice since lchf. I dont even use make up anymore. Whereas in d past my face would look unwell, tired and exhausted.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Much less after the initial breakout.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Diet didn't affect me at all, I think it made it a bit better, but I've never had acne to begin with. I do use essential oils on my face few times a week to remove make up and a little massage :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have been a diabetic for 15 years. During that time, when my sugar would go up, my face would break out with whitehead's.

I bought some acne cream at the drugstore, and that cleared it up. Then I started this low-carb diet, and my sugar levels have gone way down, and now my face never has whiteheads.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I only ever got acne/zits/spots if I ate chocolate (the sugary milky mainstream kind), but as a 58 year old woman I can tell you that my skin has smoothed out so much, is now 'healthy moist' instead of dry, and I look a good 10 years younger. This is with only 5 weeks LCHF to my credit.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with acne my whole life (had to go on Acutane twice, I don't even want to think about all the damage that did to me internally). But I've noticed eating whole foods has really helped and I've been taking better care of my skin in general. Although I still look like a vampire because I live in Maine ;)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'm less than two weeks in, but I noticed a breakout a few days ago that has since gone away and been replaced with smoother than normal skin. Mine could be hormonal though, as my last birth control shot should be wearing off.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    my 10 year old daughter is in full puberty with lots of spots which she finds distressing as she is so young and is earlier than her friends. She eats a really high carb diet but I don't know how to help her onto LCHF as she hardly eats anything that isn't carbs or doesn't involve carbs (my own fault as I used to believe carbs were healthy.... :confounded: )

I am trying to persuade her to take a cod liver oil supplement in the hope that will help. Any tips for LCHF for kids?
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We give our kids Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil in the orange flavor. The trick is to not mention Cod, Liver, or Oil to them ;). Although my kids are 3 and 1 so I can still get away with stuff like that.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    We give our kids Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil in the orange flavor. The trick is to not mention Cod, Liver, or Oil to them ;). Although my kids are 3 and 1 so I can still get away with stuff like that.

LOL!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Another testament to clearer skin in proportion to the lower carbs. I recently took LCHF back up (I'm one week in today) and I'm in the midst of skin adjustment but I'm confident it will work its way through and I'll be enjoying smooth skin again soon.

(Such an "If I knew then.." situation, I wish I could go back and tell high school me how easy it could have been to reduce those breakouts to a hormonal minimum!)
  • Jo124mi
    Jo124mi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know when I eat lots of raspberries and blueberries, I always see an improvement of my facial skin. They are an anti-inflammatory food. Several things can affect your skin. Hormones being one of them. Your hormones can also be affected by what you eat. My skin does look better when I watch my carbs.