Warm flashes waking you up?

Options
Good morning all,

I got a good tip last night from a gym club member at a nutrition session. The speaker was talking about sleep. I asked for suggestions for staying asleep as I tend to wake up after 3 or 4 hours with my body warming up. A sister-sufferer in the audience suggested programming the thermostat to drop 4 degrees about 3 hours after you sleep. She said it helped her. I haven't tried it yet. Luckily I have a programmable thermostat; now, I just need to figure out how to use it!

Have a great day!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! I wish I could time the ceiling fan to turn on at 1am.
    I *could* set a timer on a portable fan....
    I could set the thermostat to go even lower, but others would complain. :D
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't wake up during the hot flashes it's the wet chills afterwards. I'm so cold I don't want to get out of bed for fear of freezing.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I don't wake up during the hot flashes it's the wet chills afterwards. I'm so cold I don't want to get out of bed for fear of freezing.

I hate that cold. The hot wakes me up. But then the cold makes it hard to get back to sleep.

I have to say, I'm AMAZED at how many fewer night sweats I'm getting by eating less red meat. And by eating much less of it at night.
    Meat sweats are real lol.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced the "meat sweats" when I get the night sweats it's usually a few days before my period arrives!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I haven't experienced the "meat sweats" when I get the night sweats it's usually a few days before my period arrives!

That used to be me. A couple of days before the period I would have night sweats and increased physical tension (I'd find myself clenching and gritting my jaw in bed). Then they became a "whenever" occurrence. But when I cut back on red meat, they decreased. Perhaps it's that. Perhaps it's what I'm eating instead. Dunno. Just glad they aren't happening as often.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ooooh... have to try that...less red meat =better sleep..... I'm crafting my monthly menu now for shopping Tuesday.... perhaps I'll forgo the red meat this month and see where it takes me....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Ooooh... have to try that...less red meat =better sleep..... I'm crafting my monthly menu now for shopping Tuesday.... perhaps I'll forgo the red meat this month and see where it takes me....
    I used: What Can I Eat? Menopause Diet By Vivianne Parnell

Parnell, Vivianne (2013-06-14). What Can I Eat? Menopause Diet - A Quick Reference Guide to the Right Foods That Will Get You Through Menopause with a Minimum of Symptoms.

To help me make some decisions. I added more legumes (especially lentils), more isoflavones, more soy, more fish, less red meat and a few other things. It really made a difference.
  • zenobiamd
    Options
    Thanks for the reference. For red meat, did you try grass-fed, organic? I wonder if it's the hormones in the meat and not the meat itself that's the problem?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    zenobiamd wrote: »
    Thanks for the reference. For red meat, did you try grass-fed, organic? I wonder if it's the hormones in the meat and not the meat itself that's the problem?

I haven't yet. Just been cutting back.