Joint pain anyone? How do you deal?

Options
2»

Replies

• NexStar3
    NexStar3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    On my last visit to the lab (Dyna Care (Canadian)) for blood work, they had a big poster up on the wall about new testing available for food allergies/sensitivities. They had 2 price ranges; expensive & OMG! I'm hoping my insurance company will cover at least some of it. I'm putting my pennies away to get it done. I've been in so much pain lately, I'm getting little sleep and it has become a vicious circle of the less sleep the more pain. (I work nights too so that isn't exactly helping the whole situation) The only thing I am grateful for is I'm NOT gaining weight.... thank goodness :~)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My aches & pains got way better once my thyroid levels reached the "normal" range. I do yoga, get massages, and have an electric mattress pad.
  • tlr526
    tlr526 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All my blood work comes back "normal", I am Gluten free due to food allergies.....but I have joint pain and fatigue that is kicking my butt.....thank goodness for makeup to cover the dark circles.....my GP acts like I'm a hypochondriac.....I know there is something going on, but all the tests come back normal: RA, lupus, hypothyroidism, etc. ... I would love suggestions!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    tlr526 wrote: »
    All my blood work comes back "normal", I am Gluten free due to food allergies.....but I have joint pain and fatigue that is kicking my butt.....thank goodness for makeup to cover the dark circles.....my GP acts like I'm a hypochondriac.....I know there is something going on, but all the tests come back normal: RA, lupus, hypothyroidism, etc. ... I would love suggestions!

Get a referral to an endocrinologist.
  • 1965tah
    1965tah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are tests reliable for diagnosis in every situation? I'm new to hypothyroidism and have read loads in recent weeks. In England there is a very narrow view of diagnosis and a treatment that's based on what "nice" approve. I've come across doctor and patient accounts in England where the test results don't match the symptoms. I'm reading that many of our doctors don't read the full range of symptoms because they have become so dependent on bloods. It's clear there are so many symptoms and results in blood are part of the whole management. Are you having the right tests done? I think an endocrinologist is the way to go. I'm off to a psychologist next month because when they didn't acknowledge my pain and I persisted it was all they could offer. I asked for all my blood tests to be reviewed by both my oncologist and general medical consultant and for them to talk me through every result. I had to sit in front of a number of docs feel judged because they didn't see the symptoms. It seems amazing to me know I have a diagnosis that none of the doctors I saw over months saw the symptoms even though I was articulating textbook evidence. I'm feeling marginally less joint pain about 5 weeks in to levothyroxine. I'm very unfit but am trying to get a small amount of regular exercise. I'm not sure I trust the GP or hospital to resolve everything so am keeping a diary and logging every symptom, food and mood. Going to use it with docs and see if I can spot patterns or if some food or situationso make it easy or worse. I think we all have to find our way through this and I believe the symptoms outweigh the science at times. The combined wisdom of others in our situation is an important resource, doctors know what they are taught in the country they trained, not all are open to questions from patients, but question we must. Hope you find a root to feeling better soon
    Xx
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Salicylate sensitivity will not show up any distinguishing links on any food lists/diaries because it is cumulative and or fluctuates because our intake differs on a daily basis. This is the active ingredient in aspirin but also it is in oranges apples pineapples berries, tea coffee, dark green veg dark coloured veg almost everything, including moulds and mildews so that accounts for yeast too. Living with it is hell, take it from me. symptoms from joint pain to indigestion, muscle skeletal issues and thousands more. Had a bad day. Crashed, heaving having gently sniffed a sensitive washing liquid. Not able to go to normal places and do normal things. it is a real life restriction.

Info at Salicylate Sensitivity.com or simply google salicylate sensitivity.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    And maybe this is why I am doing fairly well on the NP. At the time I started taking it I also started the LC WOE =Atkins. I eliminated all carbohydrates other than low starch plant based. Having done this same thing years ago for 10 years prior to coming down with the thyroid issue I am not sure how this all fits into things as far as feeling better. But am not going to argut it at all because we are all different.

I do remember sitting in doctor office on my first visit almost in tears because I was in so much all over pain,especially joints before he did put me back on the thyroid meds. Levo. Even so the Levo helped but did not make me feel good. this dang thyroid is such a pain. Literally.
  • FoxyMoxi
    FoxyMoxi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any grain esp not wheat and really watch the sugar. I juice and make a mean green/dr oz juice. I have Hashimotos so for me inflammation is a real issue.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have the inflammation too. I have beem wheat free since the end of November and very low carb. Almost always under 20 actual carbs I do not count by net carb.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for while, but for me, I found it really wasn't the low carb that helped so much but the elimination of wheat and most grain products (whether from gluten or otherwise). I also think the low carb helped because I did have insulin resistance -- which my doc thinks is a result of the long untreated thyroid problem since I've never been that overweight (35 lbs at my heaviest and I'm 5'9").

What ultimately ended up working best for me was a carb cycling routine. This was in particular because I lift heavy and good carbs are needed for optimal muscle recovery after heavy lifting sessions. So, I eat quite a few carbs (just no grains) on lifting days and then very low carb on non-lifting/rest days. This also helps to reset your hormones like leptin which you will reduce over time during a prolonged caloric deficit (which triggers your hunger response).

I was actually quite surprised to see this work so well. I also didn't have to take rest weeks nearly as often. On just low carb and lifting, I'd get run down more quickly -- just feel super fatigued like I was almost getting sick. I think i was starting to go hypo and it appears that this is a risk for low carb and hypothyroid (though I didn't know it at the time).

So, if you're open to trying something different, you may want to look into a carb cycling program like leangains.
  • SarzWix
    SarzWix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like hypermobility syndrome to me, which seems to be synchronous with a lot of other problems including thyroid issues. I was diagnosed with hypermobility a few years ago, and although it's not something 'curable', it was a relief to get an explanation for all of my joint issues!
    Like others have mentioned, sugar is a terrible trigger for inflammation, particularly over processed sugar.
  • xlvi_ii
    xlvi_ii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group, and honestly, this is the first place I've found where people actually UNDERSTAND day to day life.

I was diagnosed almost three years ago, but I had suffered for a few years prior. I was, of course, put on levo (75mcg) and life was hell. Several doctors later, I've found a PCP who is willing to think outside of the very small box that they believe every Hashi patient should fit in to. She got me started on a celiac approved diet (100% gluten free, including any possible additives) and agreed to switch me to NatureThroid (48.75 mg).

That was in October 2014 and honestly, I feel so much better. I felt like, prior to the changes, I was operating at 30% every day. Now, I feel like I operate around 70%, much better, but still not quite there.

So, I typed my long story to get advice on a stubborn issue that is still sticking around: joint pain, specifically in the quad tendons in both knees.

Any advice, specifically things that have actually worked for you? My ortho currently has me on a naprosyn regimen to reduce inflammation, but no luck so far. I've had, what they've diagnosed as patella-femoral pain syndrome for two years, bilaterally, and only going gluten free has helped, albeit slightly. I work in health care, and most of the standard methods of treatment have failed. So any advice you have, I'm open to. HELP!