Carbs in Natural Yoghurt

Options
ColwellCat
ColwellCat Posts: 84 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I'm lucky that my body tolerates dairy, and 1/2 to 1 cup of yoghurt has always been a favourite breakfast choice. I like to think that the probiotics make a difference as well. When I have time, it's homemade yoghurt, when life gets in the way, it's nothing added, full fat.

These days my body doesn't deal well with lots of carbs, though, and I try to keep under 75g a day, which pushes my cup of natural yoghurt into an occasional treat that needs planning around.

I came across this article - http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/yogurtcarbs.htm - which suggests that the grams of carbs in a fermented dairy product are likely to be considerably lower than what is listed due to the bacteria turning the lactose into lactic acid. I've found the same argument mentioned in a few other low carb places, but I can't find the original study.

Does anyone have more information on this? It sounds logical, and very promising, but I'm nervous about experimenting with my body based on an internet article without footnotes...

Replies

• sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you are fermenting it yourself, especially if you're letting it get good and sour, then I think it's entirely possible there is less sugar than what you'd see in a commercial product. Any ferments work this way. Sugar feeds the bugs. I bet there's a way to test the sugar content. I don't know what that is, though. Good luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Sarabeth is right. I think that would only be the case if you are making your own yogurt. The bacterial cultures in commercial yogurt are usually dead.

I think the overall benefits of homemade yogurt makes it well worth the effort. It's pretty simple to do, with or without a machine. Then you can control every aspect of your yogurt and it will be far more beneficial than any commercial product.
  • ColwellCat
    ColwellCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The good quality, natural commercial yoghurt (that are labelled accordingly) certainly do have live bacteria still in them, because you can use that to inoculate homemade yoghurt! But I agree that homemade is definitely better, when I have time.

But I wonder what percentage of the sugar you could discount in the feeding of the bugs...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I think you would just have to go with the labels unless you know of a way to test it. I'm a very low carb person too and I wouldn't sweat it, just make concessions elsewhere. Compared to how I eat, your carb goal allows quite a bit of leeway.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I love the whole plain yogurt I get from one of the local farms! Since I started doing the BP coffee thing alone for breakfast I find that I've got less of a problem fitting my daily alotment of carbs in the rest of the day. I've been pretty good with only doing 2 meals after that with no snacking...another huge carb contributor for me. Anyway what I'm saying is I would agree that planning ahead and taking into consideration your other meals should be fine. If you have yogurt top with coconut rather than fruit. Maybe don't eat fruit at all that day and load up on greens and other lower carb veggies with your meat and get plenty of good quality fats. Get your yogurt fix and then maybe the next day skip it and include carbs from elsewhere. Currently I'm allowing 100g carbs max/day but aiming for more like 50g. I might just consider a yogurt or raw dairy day one of the 100g max days I've worked in. Cheers!
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    full fat yogurt is 9g per cup-a cup is a decent amount. i can usually make that work. Fage "total" is wonderful. Great Value / walmart also sells some. but the fage is fluffier and i love the texture.