Low carb and spices

Options
autumnsquirrel
autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
Trying to keep the carbs low, per my Endo. I notice that most of the carbs in my breakfast, for example, come from spices. A little onion, a little paprika, a little garlic, etc. It's about a carb each and breakfast adds up to about 10 carbs. Just wondering....Should I cut spices out? What's your take on it? Being hypothyroid makes everything more difficult and I feel like maybe just eating a piece of cardboard is the way to go:/ I like things seasoned here and there, but don't want to mess with my carb count. Saw an article recently on "hidden carbs" and it looked menacing. But when I read it, it was mostly in spices. What's your take on this? I was on a low carb diet; 60g or less, did very well for several months, then went off of it. Now I am back on again.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid as well, and I don't worry as much about the spices, as I don't use them way heavily. I tried checking out your diary, but it's locked down. :) What are you making?

Also, do you supplement beyond medication for your thyroid? I found a supplement that I take that makes loads of difference. Even though medication brought my levels up to normal ranges, my symptoms didn't go away. With the supplements, within a few days, it helped a lot.

Add to all that the spectacular mental clarity and energy that comes with this WOE (thanks to my endocrinologist's recommendation, as well!!), I'm happy as a clam. Love to talk with you more...
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on my spices a lot, but I always count them, it can add up, but I also restrict my carbs more than you do.

I do have 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon with cream cheese for desert every night, and although it adds to my carbs, that isn't something I am willing to give up!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't see how those spices would add up to 10 carbs unless you used a whole lot of each. A few sprinkles is going to have that many carbs, and frankly I don't really worry about most of them, but if you want to track accurately, take a look at the USDA nutrient database for those foods: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search. What amounts are you eating that you calculate 10 g carbs?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Mistizoom That 10 grams of carbs was her entire breakfast, to my understanding, not just the spices...
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Mistizoom That 10 grams of carbs was her entire breakfast, to my understanding, not just the spices...

Ok, if that's the case that's a bit different. I see nothing wrong with 10 g carbs for breakfast, either, especially with a 60 g carb/day limit.
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid as well, and I don't worry as much about the spices, as I don't use them way heavily. I tried checking out your diary, but it's locked down. :) What are you making?

Also, do you supplement beyond medication for your thyroid? I found a supplement that I take that makes loads of difference. Even though medication brought my levels up to normal ranges, my symptoms didn't go away. With the supplements, within a few days, it helped a lot.

Add to all that the spectacular mental clarity and energy that comes with this WOE (thanks to my endocrinologist's recommendation, as well!!), I'm happy as a clam. Love to talk with you more...
    Knit, can you see my diary, now? I have it so my buddies on here can see it:) I take levothyroxine and my levels are fine with it, but my symptoms are still there-fatigue, gains here and there, etc. What supplement do you take that might help this?
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    I don't see how those spices would add up to 10 carbs unless you used a whole lot of each. A few sprinkles is going to have that many carbs, and frankly I don't really worry about most of them, but if you want to track accurately, take a look at the USDA nutrient database for those foods: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search. What amounts are you eating that you calculate 10 g carbs?

I really just add a pinch here and there; I scan the barcode on my phone to add to my food diary and the carbs just pop up---even if I put something like .25 of a serving---it's just a guess as I am not sure what pinch would mean in a serving, LOL:)
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options

Yes; it was my entire breakfast; just wondering why all those extra carbs popped up:/
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

Ok, if that's the case that's a bit different. I see nothing wrong with 10 g carbs for breakfast, either, especially with a 60 g carb/day limit.
    Thanks so much; I have this thing about being overly conscious with my numbers. I need to chill, but I tend to become obsessed. So afraid of putting more weight on:/
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Knit, can you see my diary, now? I have it so my buddies on here can see it:) I take levothyroxine and my levels are fine with it, but my symptoms are still there-fatigue, gains here and there, etc. What supplement do you take that might help this?

@autumnsquirrel‌ I take levothyroxine, too...

The supplement is called Iodoral. it is a combination Iodine/Iodide supplement that supports thyroid function. Some people have a reaction to iodine, so not everyone can use it. It is an over the counter med that is usually held behind the counter. Walgreens and Walmart don't carry it. I have a local compounding pharmacy that does - and they can order it, or you can it off line. My doctor had me take 1/2 a tablet a day to be sure I tolerated it. I was supposed to do that a week, but honestly, after day 4 breaking the pills annoyed the crap out of me, so I just started a full one as I'd had no symptoms. Around day 8, I realized I was having less issues getting out of bed and thought back. I started having less problems around day 5. So in a week, started having symptom relief.

Also, I found out that due to a number of issues, and medications blocking absorption of it, I was also hugely deficient in Vitamin B12, so I started supplements of it too, shortly after the Iodoral. Btw, it is a combo med because some people absorb iodine and some absorb iodide. It is checked for by tracking your thyroid levels.

Also, @Dragonwolf shared with us an awesome site for thyroid stuff. www.stopthethyroidmadness.com I learned so much reading this. Plenty of discussion to take to my endocrinologist next visit.

There are also a number of other supplements I take, but I also have PCOS, am borderline on insulin resistant, have crazy allergies, cronic tendon problems (inflammation due to carbs DOES NOT help this issue), sleep apnea (triggered by weight primarily), high blood pressure seemingly solely triggered by my birth control pills (done with kids, thanks!), POP (pelvic organ prolapse, SO not fun)...and no gallbladder, all in addition to the hypothyroid, which was most likely caused or amplified by the PCOS... *deep breath*

So, feel free to hit me up with anything. I've become a champion for women's health because this crap doctors feed us out of misguided attempts to helps makes us crazy. Oh, and I'll go check out your diary too. Be sure to check out the other posts and there is a heck of a lot of awesome info!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    autumnsquirrel onion is really high in carbs. I'm thinking that if you just cut out that one ingredient (if you still do want to lower your carbs) you'll see a major difference. I think that the figure for half a smallish onion is 6 grams of carbs. Garlic is high too, but you use a smaller quantity so, personally, I wouldn't worry about that one. I love flavour in my foods too so you can't wipe them all out.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I used a mexican spice mix the other day and was aghast to see that sugar was in the mix - flip, you're not safe anywhere! Will have to use it up as don't want to waste it, but not sure at all what sugar adds to the mix. Was thinking of writing to the company (the UK's beloved Marks and Spencer) to complain, but life is too short.... I will be careful buying spice mixes in the future.
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you want Mexican spice just mix a spice jar of your own.. Follow the ingredients list but eliminate the "no-nos".. For taco meat use fresh diced tomato when you cook the meat and add the spices to give it that " juice".. I use it for chicken or beef stuffed peppers..
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I used a mexican spice mix the other day and was aghast to see that sugar was in the mix - flip, you're not safe anywhere! Will have to use it up as don't want to waste it, but not sure at all what sugar adds to the mix. Was thinking of writing to the company (the UK's beloved Marks and Spencer) to complain, but life is too short.... I will be careful buying spice mixes in the future.

Also, most have corn starch or corn flour to "thicken" the sauce. I found a knock off recipe of my favorite mix and just left out the carbage. :) Then my guy said he liked it better than what I'd been making anyway!!! LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    autumnsquirrel onion is really high in carbs. I'm thinking that if you just cut out that one ingredient (if you still do want to lower your carbs) you'll see a major difference. I think that the figure for half a smallish onion is 6 grams of carbs. Garlic is high too, but you use a smaller quantity so, personally, I wouldn't worry about that one. I love flavour in my foods too so you can't wipe them all out.

I'm not a huge fan of onion, but I find onion powder is worth the carb cost to me. I don't like the fresh stuff much (I have to cook it until it is beyond dead), but the onion powder is stronger for less carbs, etc. Some things just need that oniony kick.