Stressing out. Gaining cms.

Options
Makatees
Makatees Posts: 30 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
A few weeks ago I gradually started to increase my calories, and I had a bit of weight gain but not major and I was expecting that.I am now at my TDEE minus 15%. Today I measured myself and I have gained cms back which I lost, all over, except arm and neck! 3 on my hips, wth? I have been so dedicated, weighing everything and making sure to select foods with confirmations, and doing exercise 5 to 6 days a week. I am trying really hard to be positive here, and I have felt positive changes, like, I am firmer and stronger, but seriously! Is this normal?

Maybe I did my calculations wrong?

1,64m 81.5kg
Desk job, stand up and do a little walking in between.

Mon yoga 90 min
Tues Pump class with barbells 1 hr
Wed Belly dance class 2 hrs
Thurs gym circuit 1 hr
Fri Belly dance class 1.5 hrs
Sat Fitbox or weight training 1 hr

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi Makatees! Don't get discouraged, you're doing great. One of the most frustrating things is figuring out your unique numbers. Scooby is just an estimate, so it will take some tweaking and sometimes that takes time...but I totally get your frustration with the increase in measuring. From looking at your exercise level, to me, it looks like you may need to increase your activity level...either that, or decrease your exercise, which may be the better option. It's ideal to have two rest days a week. Some of your exercise isn't too intense, like the yoga and belly dancing, but perhaps they burn more than you think. That's hard for me to guess since I've done neither. :) What does your daily life look like once you get home from work? Are you sitting all night once you get home, or are you walking around a lot, walking pets, etc.? This can make a difference. You may be at lightly active activity level before even adding exercise, which will push you up another level easily.

Also, you didn't mention and I can't remember...how long did you eat at TDEE? Were you doing a full reset? Sometimes when decreasing calories to the 15% deficit and not seeing progress can mean maybe you needed to eat at TDEE longer to give metabolism more time to heal. But if your weight was stabilized eating at what you thought was TDEE - perhaps you could have gone even higher - if you TDEE was actually higher than you were eating? I think if I were you, I'd maybe cut exercise down by at least one day - be sure to keep the lifting. This may knock you down into true 5-6 hr activity level and keep eating where you're at. You could also decrease a bit more on those Mon, Wed, Fri days. See if this will unstress your body a bit. Over exercising can stress the body, especially when eating too little and it will halt progress. Either that, or try adding some calories.

For me personally, I only work out 3, maybe 4 times a week for only 30 min. I choose the 3-5 hr activity level and eat at 15% which is about 1900 cals daily. Obviously I'm not working out 5 hours a week, but the rest of my daily life adds up to that activity level. If I eat less than 1800 cals daily, I will completely stall and seem to gain inches as well. As soon as I eat more, I drop scale weight. I actually am slowing increasing my calories even more.

I hope this helps!
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Forgot to ask...what has your hunger level been like at -15%? Are you super hungry? Tired during workouts? Feeling burnout? All signals to eat more, decrease exercise. I find that even on 1900 cals daily, if I'm feeling significant hunger, I will eat more even though it pushes me past my calorie goal for the day by 200 cals - but I usually end up losing better doing that. The body will tell us what it needs if we listen to it, as long as our hunger signals aren't suppressed by low calorie dieting. If you're feeling hunger, that's a great sign which means your body is burning through the food you are giving it, but respond to it by giving your body more food rather than allowing yourself to feel hunger consistently.
  • Makatees
    Options
    Thanks so much Jen!
    At home after work I don't move much.. Other than making dinner. I didn't do a reset and have been building up to TDEE -15 and got up to there yesterday.
    Yes, been feeling hungry some days and feeling tired during workouts but the gym aircon isnt working properly and we have had some 40 degree celcius days last few weeks!
    :smile:
  • Makatees
    Options
    Ok, feeling better now. Gained cms have come off again so I am breathing a huge sigh of relief. Jen you did say to expect some water weight gain so maybe that was it. I blew up like a balloon alright! Decided not to weigh myself for a while. Only measuring right now.. Happy!
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Great job, Makatees! Way to stick with it! :) Yes, the water weight gain is completely normal, but so many get discouraged and won't wait long enough to see it leave.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a similar issue. Been lifting three times a week and eating healthy where possible. I have the usual one or two indulgence days but I normally don't feel hungry but I've been feeling ravenous lately. My friend who trains with me thinks it's due to the lifting we've been doing and my metabolism getting back in shape but...

...man this thing is scary! I go into hulk crash mode! And then I eat all that's in the fridge. Last night included a litre of yoghurt! Absolutely ravenous!