Looking for new low carb veggies to try

Options
2»

Replies

• raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can buy the miracle noodles brand, which do not require refrigeration, and have no soy, from amazon.com.
    I love swiss chard - cooked in bacon grease..yum.
  • JenniferCarter2015
    JenniferCarter2015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My fave is zucchini! I make chips, spaghetti noodles, or just bake it cut in half with garlic and mozzarella cheese on top
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Just sauteing cabbage with the fat of your choice, adding soy sauce or salt, with or without bacon pieces is really good. I typically add it in stir fries with garlic and ginger or in my pepper steak recipe.

Here in Japan, we eat like this practically every night. My hubby cooks up a basic stirfry of onions, chopped fresh ginger and fresh garlic, seasons with olive oil and fermented rice koji. Then he usually adds a bunch of cabbage or hakusai, with a varied mix of bean sprouts, daikon radish, green peppers, black olives, shiitake or other mushrooms, spinach or other greens, green beans, udo or burdock root, whatever is cheap and in season. He then adds a meat or fish, and a fermented pickle dish. The other thing he uses at least once a week is seaweed! It has tons of micronutrients and the taste varies... just think of it as vegetables grown in water.
    Go here http://tinyurl.com/omw8ss8 for what they look like -- there is an infinite variety. Read up on them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_seaweed#Common_edible_seaweeds
    You can likely find some in an Asian grocery.

:wink: Sugarbeat, you did say you were looking for new veggies...
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Yep i ger mine from Amazon (Miracle Noodles) and have it auto order for every quarter. Really soaks up the flavors.
    raventwo wrote: »
    You can buy the miracle noodles brand, which do not require refrigeration, and have no soy, from amazon.com.
    I love swiss chard - cooked in bacon grease..yum.

• camtosh
    Options
    Here is tonight's dinner: lotus root and rape flower greens! h3lpaqgg7o8f.jpg
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing camtosh. Maybe your husband can do a world tour and cook a meal for everyone on the way?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. I've heard of shirataki noodles but I haven't found them yet. Where are they usually found?

not sure where you're from but in the UK you can get them in health food shops eg holland and barrett

• raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Camtosh that looks amazing! and delicious. I just finished a breakfast of a bit of beef, mini bell pepper and kelp noodles (and yes, a bit of cheese melted over all).
  • camtosh
    Options
    Yes, it tasted pretty good. The meat was pork (hard to see it, about 70 grams I guessed). My hubs loves to cook, so I am spoiled. :)
  • Linandra
    Linandra Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    wow! i am new and have just joined this group. What fabulous ideas , thanks all.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Linandra wrote: »
    wow! i am new and have just joined this group. What fabulous ideas , thanks all.

me too!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! Camtosh, I have no idea what some of that is, but it looks yummy! I will look for the noodles today when I go to the store and I'm definitely getting some more cabbage to try again.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    Oh, and welcome newbies :smiley: !
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    How do y'all feel about jicama? I've been told it's a decent potato mimic, depending on preparation. I haven't been brave yet... Y'all?
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    I had to google jicama to see what it was, lol.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    How do y'all feel about jicama? I've been told it's a decent potato mimic, depending on preparation. I haven't been brave yet... Y'all?

actually, my parents ate this all the time when i was a kid. It is a good potato substitute but I dont know the carb count in it. But the flavor is pretty much the same as a potato both taste and texture wise.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    click on http://foodfacts.mercola.com/jicama.html for info on jicama (I like it raw in salads, but never had looked up the nutrients/calories until looking at this thread)
    1 cup jicama = 49 calories, 11g carbs, 6g fiber, 2g sugar, 1g protein