Weight Lifting For Women~ Is it something we need?

Options
Julie20fan
Julie20fan Posts: 361 Member
I know when I started on my fitness journey many years ago I thought the only way to lose weight and look great was to do a lot of cardio. There once was a time that I spent two hours a day, six days a week in the gym doing nothing but cardio. Did I lose weight. Yes, of course, but I had no muscle definition.

I was introduced to weight lifting a few years back and had that fear that I would bulk up too much and that is not something I wanted. Educating myself made me understand why us women should lift.

Here is a great article on this very subject. Ladies what are your thoughts?

http://www.teambeachbody.com/teambeachbodyblog/fitness/10-reasons-women-need-lift-weights

Replies

• catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link to this great article. Food for thought...so to speak! lol

I knew about some of the advantages to weight lifting for women, but there were a couple of new ones that I was not aware of. Defending against diabetes was interesting, as I am at the more 'mature' end of the age scale and diabetes is something to look out for as we get older. I liked the information on reducing injuries and arthritis....again, at the higher end of the age scale and improving movement to avoid injuries or decrease arthritis is a big plus!! Sure helps when you have to lift a lot of luggage on trips!!

Guess I should dust off my kettle bells and do some weight lifting! Thanks again Julie!

nancy
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    You are most welcome Nancy. I enjoy reading about health and fitness and find these types of articles interesting and learn something new each day. I did notice that when I started lifting I had better strength and was able to do more. You also continue to burn calories well after your workout is done.

How do you like the kettle bells? I have never used them. I have always went with regular weights. Do you have a workout that you use them with?
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Julie20fan wrote: »
    How do you like the kettle bells? I have never used them. I have always went with regular weights. Do you have a workout that you use them with?

Julie, I have two of them, 8 kg (about 17.5 lbs) and 10 lbs (little itty bitty kettle bell)...I have a DVD that I follow. I like them...just hope I don't 'launch' then into the TV one of these days. Lol

• Julie20fan
    Options
    I have always wanted to try them, but feared I would end up losing them from my hands...lol. Good to know I am not the only one who seems to think that way.

I will have to get some so I can give them a try.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    I did some weight lifting in a chair...just a little today. I did finish my 10K + on the treadmill too! I am trying!! Three days in a row. I have also started a 'beginners ' squat challenge. Interesting! 20 on the first day!
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    You are taking each day as it comes and that is all you can do. I am proud of you. You are doing great. Progress is progress and that is all that matters. Keep up the great work.
  • magstate
    magstate Posts: 2
    Options
    I never used to lift weights. I started with my husband about a year ago and I love it. I used to struggle to do 15 push ups, on my last pt test I did almost 50. I gave up running all of the time. I do about 20 min of cardio a day and 40 min of lifting the heaviest weights I can.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    magstate wrote: »
    I never used to lift weights. I started with my husband about a year ago and I love it. I used to struggle to do 15 push ups, on my last pt test I did almost 50. I gave up running all of the time. I do about 20 min of cardio a day and 40 min of lifting the heaviest weights I can.

Pretty darn awesome!!!!
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    magstate wrote: »

Seems like you have a great plan set up for you and it's working. I too enjoy it now that I have been introduced to it. Women tend not to lift because they have been told they will get big. My husband didn't want me lifting in the beginning either because he thought I wanted to get big. All I wanted was to tone up the areas that needed it. I did that with the help of Tony Horton and P90x. It was gratifying to see my results.