Weekly Post - 01/03 - 07/03/15

Options

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Maybe thinking of it as a non fasting day rather than a feast day could be helpful? I'm a bit strange though
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    There is a TDEE calculator here that can give you an idea of what would be enough calories on the feast days to balance out your fast days.

Just used that calculator and my TDEE is 2090 - yikes! And that's using a 'moderate' exercise level. I've been using a 1600 limit on non-FD's and have just dropped it to 1500 (which is my BMR-ish). Can't believe that I should be eating 2k+ just to maintain....
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3:30am, how can fasting for 1 day give me so much energy o.O.

Stuck to my 500 cal, had something healthy then the rest were spent on licorice - whoops
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    FD#2 today. It's dumping snow here in Maryland, but I'm at work. My hubby's government building closed so he's home with baby. I only live 3 minutes from work, so I don't have much of an excuse not to go. The roads were awful this morning and it's supposed to snow all day. Hopefully it's not TOO bad at 5:30!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Fast Day #2 for me and I already see a 1.5 lb change on the scale. Tomorrow is weigh in day. I think I may have found my new life! Thank you everyone for your support.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I do have a TMI question: I noticed on Tuesday, I went to the bathroom A LOT and it was basically equal to when I have to do clean-outs for my yearly colonscopy (rare genetic issue where I started getting polyps at 9 years old and they have gotten progressively worse over the years. Yay me). But is that normal? Should I expect this every time or is it something that goes away? I may be scared to leave my house after a fast. I almost had an accident 2xs. :/

Sorry to hear about your medical condition :( A benefit to the fasting is giving your digestive system a break (I need to learn more about the medical/physical benefits cause there are lots!) and I notice that it helps clean me out :P I think I may remember a few times where my bathroom days were similar to you, but I think it normally was after a big eating day (so it was to be expected). I'm glad you said you're keeping up the liquid intake. I would suggest talking to you doctor if you're concerned (default answer haha), but if you decide to fast again before that, I would take notes so you can discuss it with them later since you do have a related medical condition.

• thecarbmonster
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    Today is my first FD and I plan to have a smoothie for lunch packed with blueberries, blackberries, boysenberries, spinach and banana & for dinner tuna, tomato & basil on toast with cauliflower, broccoli, lemon squeeze and parmesan as a side.!

That's a great plan! A HUGE part of learning to fast is the mental aspect, so going for volume is right on!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Went for a long walk this afternoon and then blew off my second fast. Didn't have it in me today, just too hectic at work and some other stuff going on. I will go for a bit of a low day tomorrow and see where that takes me.
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    chiccam wrote: »
    Hi all!
    So no weight loss for me in February. Where did my mojo go? I'm staying with it and checking in here because we all know what happens when that stops.

It will catch up with you girl!!! I stick with the same pounds over and over and then they'll evacuate in a rush when you least expect it. Keep reminding yourself of the benefits of choosing this way vs the old grind of restricting EVERY DAMN DAY lol. That always brings me back haha.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options

Stuck to my 500 cal, had something healthy then the rest were spent on licorice - whoops

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! So much energy!!!

On other news yayyyyyy for completed fast days!!!!
  • forevertoday
    Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! So much energy!!!

On other news yayyyyyy for completed fast days!!!!

Glad I am not the only one!
    Today is a feast day! Hooray!
  • uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Weigh in day! Started early November
    SW 76
    Today 68.9
    Lost another 600 grams this week (over a pound)
    I am still losing roughly a pound a week despite xmas, holidays and excessive birthdays. I don't count calories any other day or think about my TDEE. But I do eat low carb and think it helps. I have alcohol 5 days a week and rarely make 10,000 steps per day. More like 7,000 on average (not proud of that…).
    I am only saying this to demonstrate to newbies that you really don't have to stress that much. I know this might not be encouraging for those who are plateauing and tearing their hair out (try low carb if you aren't already) but for some I know the thought of this diet is some kind of major mental hurdle. Really, though, it is dead easy in many ways because I try not to think about it at all. I just have a boring old menu plan every week for the 2 days that requires no obsessing about food and calories. I don't think of non fast days as feast days, just normal days. I think like many people I eat less on non fast days now because I am not as hungry. But there are plenty of calories in a glass or 2 of wine. I sometimes drink gin because it is no carb whereas I used to like a beer on a hot day, but that is a rarity now.

Speaking of hot days, I am in Brisbane, Australia in the middle of an autumn heatwave, very unusual. Things are just as crazy here as the northern "spring". It is only a week now until I have to pack my life into 1 suitcase for a few months in Connecticut and am freaking out that it is still so cold there. I don't own any snow stuff! Nor do I want to buy it for such a short time as it is bound to warm up??? And all that stuff is bulky! First world problems I know!
    Anyway, there are so many people on here who have lost so much more than me and have many words of wisdom and support for the rest of us. I appreciate the time that the regulars on here put into this forum. Have a good weigh in everyone!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    There is a TDEE calculator here that can give you an idea of what would be enough calories on the feast days to balance out your fast days.

Just used that calculator and my TDEE is 2090 - yikes! And that's using a 'moderate' exercise level. I've been using a 1600 limit on non-FD's and have just dropped it to 1500 (which is my BMR-ish). Can't believe that I should be eating 2k+ just to maintain....

If 1500 works for you - you feel fit and healthy - go for it!
  • forevertoday
    Options
    Ate probably about 1900-2000 calories today, I did not log the last 300+ as it was some of my partners take-aways. I feel a bit freaked out by this because I think the scale will just jump up again.
    I will do my 2nd fast tomorrow as it is my day off (I tend to eat lee on my non-working days)
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    I will do my 2nd fast tomorrow as it is my day off (I tend to eat lee on my non-working days)

Wow! I find it easy waaaaayyyyy more on my days off. See? That's another awesome part of the 5:2. It's versatile and we can change it to suit ourselves :smiley:
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    that sounds delicious - I think the general rule is eat when and what you like so long as you're under 500 but most people save them for the evening. I have allbran in the morning, a packet soup and then veg soup in the evening and I'm fine with that. Dull, but fine. Have a great Friday everyone. I am finally getting a bit of exercise: tennis tonight, saturday and sunday. oh my.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Didn't lose this week. Exactly the same as last Friday, which is acceptable! At least I didn't gain. I stopped eating AIP and noticed that some things (like eggs) bloat me and make me feel horrible. I really think that's why I didn't lose this week. Too much inflammation in my body. Hopefully getting back to it, will help propel more weight loss.
  • jknight001
    Options
    bburg86 wrote: »
    Didn't lose this week. Exactly the same as last Friday, which is acceptable! At least I didn't gain. I stopped eating AIP and noticed that some things (like eggs) bloat me and make me feel horrible. I really think that's why I didn't lose this week. Too much inflammation in my body. Hopefully getting back to it, will help propel more weight loss.

Others have commented that 5:2 really helps with inflammation. Hoping yours will improve with time and diet changes, too. Congrats on not gaining. That is a win, too.
  • jknight001
    Options
    Week 26 - .0 lbs (0.0 kg )
    Total loss as of 02/27/2015 15.8 lbs (7.17 kg)

thh2hmgx5odq.gif No one is more surprised than I am! I was just hoping to lose my usual .5 lbs. Doing my happy dance! vao2l16w2k45.gif

Grateful to finally be in the 140s. Been a looong time since I have seen the scale begin with a "14". What I love about 5:2 is as long as I work the program I don't have to worry about bouncing in and out of the 150s.

Thanks everyone for all of your support! It really makes a huge difference. <3
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    well done on overall loss - that's just brilliant x