Tummy aches and yogurt

Options
dawlfin318
dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
So ,I keep having an upset, kinda crampy stomach (with frequent trips to the bathroom), and I think maybe my gut bacteria is not happy. I have heard (don't remember where) that whole fat, unsweetened greek yogurt is OK on keto, but the label shows a lot of sugar. Anyone have a link that I can read or video even, that explains why this yogurt is OK? I try to keep my carbs under 25g/day, so I don't want a big hit of carbs. I eat a lot of spinach (raw or slightly blanched), brocoli (blanched- can't do raw).

TIA,

-Dawlfin

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Unsweetened greek yogurt only has the carbs that come from milk sugar (about 5g carbs per 100g). I eat it occasionally without problem but use it just as a treat, it is not enough to keep good flora. To feel ok I need probiotics. I'm sure any good brand will do but I'm very happy with Primal Blueprint:
    primalblueprint.com/supplements/primal-flora/

21wrr434buyc.png

Usually I have a big problem recovering from antibiotics and it helped me get better much quicker than usual (I was taking 3 capsules/day). I'm now taking one with breakfast and plan to continue.

Good luck!
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Remember that carb counts for yogurt with LIVE cultures is an estimate, the live cultures actually feed off of the milk sugar converting it to the acidic taste that is characteristic of yogurt. It's been published that the carb count for yogurt is lower than the labels may indicate.
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Thanks. I thought it said something about when it sours much of the carbs are used up. I also wonder if it is the extra dairy I am getting from organic butter and heavy cream, but then I think that there is no lactose in them so it can't be that. Just want a happy tummy. :-/
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    aleehagen wrote: »
    Remember that carb counts for yogurt with LIVE cultures is an estimate, the live cultures actually feed off of the milk sugar converting it to the acidic taste that is characteristic of yogurt. It's been published that the carb count for yogurt is lower than the labels may indicate.
    I do best if I can really log all my carbs, and want an accurate carb count if I do eat it.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is fine if you can fit it in your plan. Check labels, carb counts vary even if they are unsweetened. I like Kalona Supernatural, it has only 3 or 4 g carb per serving. Fage is probably my second choice.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    aleehagen wrote: »

Plus much of what remains of the carbs is drained-off with Greek yogurts.

But make sure a Greek yogurt is simply whole milk and cultures. If it has thickeners and additives, then it's not actually drained Greek yogurt.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i have recently discovered Fage "total" full fat plain greek yogurt. Holy crap, it's YUMMZZZ
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Greek Gods is awesome, too!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    zoom2 wrote: »
    Greek Gods is awesome, too!

I used to.like Greek Gods but I checked the carb count on it at the store last weekend and it seemed incredibly high to me.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    JennyToy wrote: »
    i have recently discovered Fage "total" full fat plain greek yogurt. Holy crap, it's YUMMZZZ

Where did you find the full fat? Walmart, Sam's club and Target all have the fat-free Fage, Kroger and Publix (because I asked them to before I went keto) carry the 2%, but nobody carries full fat Fage around here that I have found.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that yogurt isn't the only food source of probiotics. In fact, it's not even the greatest source out there (other sources often have a larger variety of strains and a higher population count, especially compared to store bought yogurt).

Any fermented food will provide you with a variety of probiotics, and some have a lower carb hit than others. Here are a few:

homemade pickles (salt method, not vinegar method)
    homemade sauerkraut
    pickled or fermented vegetables of any sort
    raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother, see also: Bragg's)
    homemade sodas using a ginger bug or similar fermented base
    kefir (water or milk)
    lacto-fermented mayo (make mayo, add some liquid whey, allow to sit for a few hours)

The list goes on. You can also make your own yogurt using a live and active store bought yogurt and your favorite milk. This allows you to use whatever milk (or cream) you want, and ensures your carbs are only from the milk.