What's your 'Adjustment to LCHF' story?

Options
GrannyMayOz
GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
Just wondering what everyone's stories are (please) on your adjustment to the LCHF lifestyle?

By my 28th day I thought I'd come through this without any obvious 'keto flu', but since then (a further 17 days) I seem to be 'enjoying' (no, not one bit ;) ) it now! Has anyone else had a long adjustment period?

I went straight from SAD (Standard *Australian* Diet) to Keto with no transition time, but I would have expected any problems to have sorted out by now. Just need some reassurance that I will come through it soon. Have tried quite a variety of supplements now - the magnesium/potassium one makes me feel a little sick, as does the multi-vitamin, and blood tests prove I'm fine in the trace element area anyway. Now I'm trying B vitamins and iron, and am about to add apple cider vinegar to that. It seems bicarbonate of soda is a good partner to the ACV but I already take a little of that each day.

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling so icky!! My first week and a half was awful
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    What in the world did MFP just do???? It cut my post right off!!!!!
  • TheNamelessOnesWife
    TheNamelessOnesWife Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Day 66 here, full keto, no transition period. Tiny flu around day 28, quickly remedied with salted broth. I've slipped a few times,though, mostly because if I was in a pinch it can be inconvenient to be keto. Learning adjustments. I do seriously love the Ketogenic food-style of everything. I will be a lifer in this.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    What in the world did MFP just do???? It cut my post right off!!!!!
    Thank you for messaging me your response instead, it was helpful.

DorgEndo wrote: »
    Day 66 here, full keto, no transition period. Tiny flu around day 28, quickly remedied with salted broth. I've slipped a few times,though, mostly because if I was in a pinch it can be inconvenient to be keto. Learning adjustments. I do seriously love the Ketogenic food-style of everything. I will be a lifer in this.
    Thanks DE - knowing you hit the flu late in the usual way of things is helpful too. I'd heard that everyone has seriously high energy after the first 2 weeks at most so this is encouraging. I have heard that it can take 2 months to become an effective fat burner and I'm still short of that. I presume it probably will take me the outside length of time because of my age (58), and the length of time I have abused food (since age 11). Yes, finding food to grab when you're out and about can be tricky can't it? I've once grabbed a bag of pork crackling only to find it was cooked in vegetable oil - they have got to be kidding!?!?!?

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Are you using magnesium citrate? There are several versions of magnesium supplement, and some of them bring on their own brand of ick. The citrate is the one people tend to have the least issues with. Be very careful supplementing iron if you don't need to medically. That's one that can do some damage if you get too much. Also, do you have No-Salt or something similar in Australia? It's a gentler way to get potassium in than supplements.

I'm back and for onto keto all the time, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. As long as I'm under 60 I'm ok, but I prefer my options when it's lower. I've never had the full blown keto flu I see people describe, at worst I've been a little headachy, or started getting leg cramps because I was slacking on potassium. Just keep drinking some chicken or bone broth until it passes, and you should feel better soon.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to think of a response all morning but have had trouble coming up with a clear answer. I've tried different variations of low carb for years. The first few times I tried to give up caffeine the same week I tried to cut carbs. This was miserable and each time I bounced right back to carbs. This time things have been a little different. I cut caffeine out almost entirely though I do still use it on occasion. That was first. Then I slowly pulled back on the carbs until I got where I am now. I may decrease carbs more later on. This time the adjustment period, in which I gave up candy, bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, was much less intense. The only real issues I've had have been the inconvience (kids and hubs want pizza) and social (birthday cake at work).
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @JPW yes, it is magnesium citrate. It's a 'complete powder' and all of the ingredients are nutrivital.com.au/product_detail.php?seq=19 It also has Magnesium ascorbate, potassium, calcium, zinc, selenomethionine, thiamine nitrate, nicontinamide, folic acid, inulin, ascorbin acid, taurine, chromium nicotinate and glutamine. I took the recommended dose for 2 day (just before bed), then cut to half a dose for 2 days and then stopped taking it (over a week ago). I then tried the cheap Berocca multi-vitamin for 2 days but that made me feel nauseous too. After the heart palpitation episode I stopped all supplements but have been taking the very cheap Blackmore's iron yesterday and today because iron deficiency seemed to explain the pounding heart, poikilocytosis (found in my blood test), breathlessness, exhaustion and anxiety, all of which I have had since starting keto. I had just bought a new salt which is half sea salt and half dehydrated vegetables like celery but I will buy a lite salt next time. Thank you so much for all your help.

@Sugarbeat Sounds like you had it rough your first time around. My coffee with either hwc or coconut milk is my one remaining treat because I've totally given up anything with a sweet flavour even if it's low carb. I felt really at a loss if I was going to have to give that up too. I drink a lot of water, or some mineral water, but don't want that to be my only liquid! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what everyone's stories are (please) on your adjustment to the LCHF lifestyle?

By my 28th day I thought I'd come through this without any obvious 'keto flu', but since then (a further 17 days) I seem to be 'enjoying' (no, not one bit ;) ) it now! Has anyone else had a long adjustment period?

I went straight from SAD (Standard *Australian* Diet) to Keto with no transition time, but I would have expected any problems to have sorted out by now. Just need some reassurance that I will come through it soon. Have tried quite a variety of supplements now - the magnesium/potassium one makes me feel a little sick, as does the multi-vitamin, and blood tests prove I'm fine in the trace element area anyway. Now I'm trying B vitamins and iron, and am about to add apple cider vinegar to that. It seems bicarbonate of soda is a good partner to the ACV but I already take a little of that each day.

From what my initial understanding was, you have periodic adjustments as your body adapts to Keto. I was made to understand Days 1-7, hell. Day 21 or 28, Hell. 6 weeks, Hell. 12 Weeks, hell. Or something therein.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    From what my initial understanding was, you have periodic adjustments as your body adapts to Keto. I was made to understand Days 1-7, hell. Day 21 or 28, Hell. 6 weeks, Hell. 12 Weeks, hell. Or something therein.

Oh how wonderful ROFL I did fairly well in the earlier days but have had a rocky ride the past 3 weeks. Today I only have blocked sinuses and an ear ache - positively bouncing with health compared to my recent state. I'm 6½ weeks in and my husband is starting to question the validity of my research, though I know he does trust me/LCHF for the most part o:)

My first 10 days were a breeze but it's been downhill since then ha ha! Truthfully though, despite the current symptoms I do feel better than I have in several weeks and was very happy to be able to run on the treadmill again today after 12 forced days off.