Quick, easy recipes for a beginner cook?

Options
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a site (or just recipes in general), that have quick and easy recipes for a beginner. I'm finally away at college, and not living in a dorm, so I have the freedom to cook rather than eating processed dining hall food. I'm learn a few simple things, but I want to expand my amount of recipes so I don't get bored with one type of meal so quickly.

Replies

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Try Google, that's what I do, and then I print the recipes I want to try.

Here's one for you ...
    mariluny wrote: »
    I just made this yesterday and it's for sure a new quick meal to make at home.

tortellini and spinach soup (2 big portions)

1 carrot
    1 celery
    1 small onion
    1 clove of garlic
    6 cups of chicken broth
    2 cups of cheese tortellini
    2-4 cups of fresh baby spinach

Dice all the vegetables and mince the garlic. make it sweat in a bit pot with a tsp of olive oil for about 3-4minutes. Add the broth and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
    Add the tortellini to the soup base and let cook as per package instructions. Once cooked, add the spinach, mix and serve immediately.

I really like soup during the fall. Such a comforting meal yet forgiving in calorie and eating 2 bowls is usually not an issue! Anyone else have good recipe to share?

NK1112 note
    This is on of my go-to favorite soups. Another spin on it that I do sometimes is to put in a small can of diced tomatoes. Also, sometimes I use the frozen spinach that comes in a cube, and squeeze out the water after it has defrosted before adding it to the soup. The only spice I use with this soup is ground pepper and a some parsley.
  • drgreen5555
    drgreen5555 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like many of the recipes at this website:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder
    Also this is a low calorie link:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/calorie-counts
  • rachb2015
    Options
    Hi try www.lemonsqueezy.eu - they have a whole section of recipes for students so have a few budget options as well as a lot of other recipes - they have lots of nutrition advice too - hope you like it - good luck!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste is a site with healthy recipes,all with nutrition info & WW points.
  • steelmagnolia1978
    steelmagnolia1978 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot from myfitnesspal and the American diabetes association website.
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you are just starting to cook, then learn the correct way. Do a google search for Chef John. He is the head chef at allrecipes.com and has his own blog. The nice thing is, he has a video for every recipe and he does things correctly. So, subscribe to his blog and start up with allrecipes.com and create an online recipe box for yourself. Here are a few staples I just sent to my daughter, Jenny.

My Swiss Steak

3 pounds round steak about 2 inch thick
    flour, salt, pepper and canola oil for browning
    2 large onions sliced
    1 ½ cup water
    ½ cup sour cream
    4 tbsp. grated cheddar cheese
    1 tsp paprika

Dredge the steak in ¼ cup flour, ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper then brown on both sides in a heavy skillet using 2-3 tbsp. of oil. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover tightly and simmer until meat is fork tender about 2 ½ hours. Salt to taste

Jenn, for your pressure cooker, a five pound setting is better than 15. Meat juices are pushed out of meat at high pressure and it results in dry “stewy” flavor. So, I don't recommend pressure cookers. A five lb setting will take about 30-35 min (20-25 min using 15 lb. setting). After it is done, you may have to simmer uncovered a few min to thicken the liquid using a pressure cooker.

My Pot Roast

3-4 lb. bottom-round beef-roast
    8-10 large carrots washed unpeeled
    4 potatoes halved unpeeled
    1 lg. onion quartered
    flour, salt, pepper and canola oil for browning
    2 bay leaves
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¼ cup sour cream
    5 whole cloves
    5 peppercorns
    2-3 cups water

Dredge the roast in flour, salt and pepper then brown on both sides in a heavy skillet (or the pressure cooker in your case) using 2-3 tbsp. of oil. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover tightly and simmer until meat is fork tender about 3 hours. Salt to taste.

Jenn, in a pressure cooker, the time depends on how big the meat is. Figure on 12-20 min per pound at 15 pounds pressure.

My Salisbury Steak

Patties:

4 strips bacon uncooked and diced small
    1 ½ lb ground beef
    ½ lb. ground pork
    ½ cup bread crumbs
    1 raw egg
    1 tbsp chopped onion
    1 tbsp minced green pepper
    2 tbsp dried parsley
    1 tsp salt (or to taste)
    ½ tsp pepper

Gravy:

2 cups beef broth
    1 cup diced mushrooms
    1 large onion thinly sliced
    3 tbsp. corn starch
    Salt to taste

Mix the patty ingredients in a bowl and form into 6 patties. Brown the patties with the thinly sliced onions in a heavy skillet. Add the broth, mushrooms and corn starch and simmer until the patties are cooked through, about 20 min.