Who is here due to pre diabetes/type 2, insulin resistance, etc.?

Options

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    T2D here, back on Metformin. LC coupled with IF has helped me a lot.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hi Type 2 here, diagnosed 2011. Hoping that a lower carb approach will pay dividends. Jason Jung has some interesting lectures which I found helpful.

I will look up Jung - thank you!

it's Jason Fung
    http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    2ledbetter wrote: »
    What is the difference in insulin resistance and diabetes?

Diabetes is the presence of elevated blood sugar levels. This may be in part due to insulin resistance, eg in Type 2 diabetes, but can also be due to the complete lack of insulin production seen in Type 1 diabetes.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    1412152_f520.jpg
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    T2D here
  • VRay99
    VRay99 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    T2D here. I started getting serious about LC back in December of last year. As of last month my A1C was down to 6.9 (lowest A1C in 10 years). I'm currently off my long acting insulin and have cut my metformin dosage in half. If I keep my carbs between 20 - 30g, my BG numbers are always in normal range, AND, I've lost 20 lbs to boot! A win-win for me
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    vdraghi wrote: »
    T2D here. I started getting serious about LC back in December of last year. As of last month my A1C was down to 6.9 (lowest A1C in 10 years). I'm currently off my long acting insulin and have cut my metformin dosage in half. If I keep my carbs between 20 - 30g, my BG numbers are always in normal range, AND, I've lost 20 lbs to boot! A win-win for me

Wow!! That is fantastic!! Great success!!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Hi Type 2 here, diagnosed 2011. Hoping that a lower carb approach will pay dividends. Jason Jung has some interesting lectures which I found helpful.

I will look up Jung - thank you!

it's Jason Fung
    http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

Ah, thank you!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    Keliandra wrote: »
    T2D here

Wow you have done amazingly! Your pics ate impressive.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    1412152_f520.jpg

Wabmester, how did you get a hold of my chart? ;) That top line is what I was like pre-keto.

Here are the meds I was taking before I started the diet Aug 29th, 2014. I started the diet at 314 lbs. Now, just under 250. My goal would be under 200:

Glipizide 10mg @ 2X day
    Metformin 850mg@ 2X day
    Lantus fast acting insulin at each meal, usually 40 to 60 units @ meal
    Solastar slow acting insulin @ bedtime 40 to 50 units
    Losartan 1X day for high blood pressure
    Simvastatin 1X day for high cholesterol
    Advair for seasonal asthma
    Vitamin D2 50,000 units 1X week
    Asparin

Fast forward to today. Here is my med scheme now:

Metformin 850mg @ 2X day
    Magnesium Citrate 800 mg @‌ day

My glucose is still above normal, but not as high as pre-diabetic. I don't check as often as I used to. My Hc1a was 7.9 a few months ago, but that was due to me quitting the long term insulin too quickly. I may get all my blood tests in the next couple of weeks, I am hoping for it to be under 7.0. If I lose more weight, I am hoping to end the metformin.

For all you diabetics, watch this 16 minute video is what lead me (eventually) to finding the Ketogenic diet. It is a TedTalk Med. Even though he says nothing about the Ketogenic diet, it is on his personal website. It is very heart warming, (be sure to have some Kleenex handy). Make sure to watch it to the end:

What If We're Wrong about Diabetes? Peter Attia

You'll probably want to forward that video to all your skinny friends & family, so they can get off your case.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatrics (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    My Past Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto

• spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Type 2 here, have been for about 8 years. When I first found out I followed Atkins and managed to control my diet and get taken off my DR's diabetic register. Then things slipped, I stopped low carving properly, would do a week or so then cheat (OK, consciously decide not to low carb).

Now im on metformin since last September and my gp has sent me to weight watchers. Secretly even though i go to metings, I'm not following WW but low carbing again. When I brought up lchf with her she wasn't too keen.
    Anyone want to keep me going?
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    spush wrote: »
    Type 2 here, have been for about 8 years. When I first found out I followed Atkins and managed to control my diet and get taken off my DR's diabetic register. Then things slipped, I stopped low carving properly, would do a week or so then cheat (OK, consciously decide not to low carb).

Now im on metformin since last September and my gp has sent me to weight watchers. Secretly even though i go to metings, I'm not following WW but low carbing again. When I brought up lchf with her she wasn't too keen.
    Anyone want to keep me going?

Friend request sent! You know it's worked for you so you are doing the right thing following your own reason and doing LC.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Recommended book for everyone here:
    Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets

Fantastic practical advice drawn from both scientific studies, her online forum-based informal data, and her personal experience with controlling diabetes on a low-carb diet.

Bad news: a lot of people can't sustain a low-carb diet
    Good news: diabetics tend to be among the most successful, because they know it works
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You do mean 'won't sustain' because they don't feel like it, rather than 'can't sustain' because they hit medical problems? Sorry to be a wordsmith, but it's an important difference.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You do mean 'won't sustain' because they don't feel like it, rather than 'can't sustain' because they hit medical problems? Sorry to be a wordsmith, but it's an important difference.

I say it's won't. At least it was for me. I didn't want to give up the "good" carbs completely until I came to the conclusion I have to. There isn't anything wrong with not wanting to give up carbs, and if going low carb for awhile makes you realize you want carbs, well, that's okay too.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    T2D here

That's my inspiration pic, not me as I am now :) But thank you for the compliment. I am still 100 pounds heavier than in that photo. LCHF is working again, as my BG numbers just dropped into the 120s this week, from a high of 190s 2 months ago.
  • wabmester
    Options

The data just shows people dropping out of studies or increasing their carb intake with time. Usually no reason is given, although sometimes people drop out of studies due to medical issues.

The book I mentioned includes a section that lists success factors from people who have stayed with low-carb for years.

There's also a website that specifically tracks people who have lost weight and kept it off for over year. Ah, here it is:
    http://www.nwcr.ws/

They provide some interesting data on success factors. Seems exercise might be one of them. :)
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    T2D here

That's my inspiration pic, not me as I am now :) But thank you for the compliment. I am still 100 pounds heavier than in that photo. LCHF is working again, as my BG numbers just dropped into the 120s this week, from a high of 190s 2 months ago.

I'd say it's working!! That's an impressive drop!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    I really appreciate all the discussion here! There is so much to learn, and so many variables to consider. I find reading others' experiences and advice very helpful.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I am probably pre-diabetic but everytime the doctors test me they say "you're fine"
    The symtoms I have indicate otherwise, so I started prick testing on my own.
    My numbers do in fact follow the Normal line in the chart above. While eating less than 50g of carbs a day.
    A plate of pasta sends me into the 180-200 range. But yep doc ... I'm normal. :s