March Veg Out Challenge

Options

Replies

• GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made vegetarian chili with an array of fresh stuff like cilantro and black beans. Today was green beans sautéed in olive oil and garlic.
  • imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    YUM! Love me some artichokes! And garlic butter is the way to eat them for my money!
    This weekend I finally got to the market - zucchini, radishes, bok choi, broccoli, cabbage, and lots of other goodies made their way home with me. I made fresh tomato soup (with pepperjack - do the little bits of peppers count?).
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Jen, Hearts of palm. Yum! If you like that you should try "wild hearts of palm" aka cattails.
    Why will this year be different? Are you guys getting new vendors? By the way, it never hurts to ask the vendors if they will consider growing something. I asked and it just so happened that last year some other people asked as well and I enjoyed fresh organic Lima beans. I don't grow them but I'd like to eat them occasionally.
    Kim, I laughed At the picture.
    Ahh artichoke, too much work for me. If I have the space I would love to grow them, they are easy, makes pretty flower and shrub.
    Today spinach
  • GoodDaytoYou
    Options
    Delicious baby kale!
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    heronh wrote: »
    Jen, Hearts of palm. Yum! If you like that you should try "wild hearts of palm" aka cattails.
    Why will this year be different? Are you guys getting new vendors? By the way, it never hurts to ask the vendors if they will consider growing something. I asked and it just so happened that last year some other people asked as well and I enjoyed fresh organic Lima beans. I don't grow them but I'd like to eat them occasionally.
    Kim, I laughed At the picture.
    Ahh artichoke, too much work for me. If I have the space I would love to grow them, they are easy, makes pretty flower and shrub.
    Today spinach

Heron, thanks for the suggestion. What will be new this year? Actually BUYING veggies at the market again. The past two years I haven't really bought much. I was hoping to get into a CSA this year but the ones I know of have all filled up. Oh well, I'll plan better next year. :)

• heronh
    Options
    Jen, CSA is not for our lifestyle since you have to commit to picking it up every week.
    I am eating snow peas shoots today. Yum! It's like eating mild snow peas but in leaf form. And it's easy to grow, you just needs a pot. Let it grow to about 10 inches and cut back and it'll grow back.
    Options
    Completely understand. I did one a few years ago and loved it (even shared some with my neighbor). Then that vendor actually had to stop farming completely (personal reasons). Really hated to see them go as they were the best vendor at the market (the yummiest veggies).
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone is going strong. I have actually stuck with this, even if I haven't been posting lately. Here's my list so far. Trying to only list one a day even if I have more. The only new thing has been that romanesca broccoli. Top one is the last one I had. Tried numbering the list, but my inability to line things up is driving me nuts.

brussel sprouts with garlic and onions
    cauliflower (raw)
    butternut squash
    cucumber (raw)
    asparagus with blue cheese and oil
    corn with garlic
    carrots (raw)
    red bell peppers stuffed with quinoa
    romanesca broccoli (steamed)
    spinach in scrambled eggs
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Carrots yesterday, spinach today.
    Options
    Jicama on Monday (didn't eat much else as I was sick) and some sauteed mushrooms with garlic yesterday,
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    At a convention all week, so my new veggie options will be limited to what's on the buffets. I did eat a couple of black olives and some cucumber yesterday both of which were first time in March.
  • heronh
    Options
    Purple cabbage
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Must try jicama. Not sure I have ever had it. hmmm

Don't laugh but does edamame count as a veggie??? I have a bag of them to eat at work tomorrow. The best snack. I prefer them in the pods:)

Tonight was steamed green beans.

peas
    brussel sprouts with garlic and onions
    cauliflower (raw)
    butternut squash
    cucumber (raw)
    asparagus with blue cheese and oil
    corn with garlic
    carrots (raw)
    red bell peppers stuffed with quinoa
    romanesca broccoli (steamed)
    spinach in scrambled eggs
    jenniferyounginillinois Posts: 535 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Had some broccoli yesterday and some sauteed corn & red peppers tonight with my steak.

Kris, edamame is a veggie. And definitely try jicama. I love it! Nice and crunchy.

I bought a rutabega today today. Going to try to make some mash out of it.
  • heronh
    Options
    Peas
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Made some Cauliflower Mash for the coming week, Asparagus tonight with Mushrooms and onions.
  • GoodDaytoYou
    Options
    Fun to see all the veggies you guys have been eating! I'm in the process of buying my 1st house so life has been crazy. I still managed to add a couple more veggies: green beans, zuchinni, mushrooms eggplant & BEETS! I loathe beets normally, but they were ok mashed in a patty with beans and other stuff. Decent Veggie burger type thing. Eggplant Parmesan was delicious!
    Options
    My new veggies have been lacking the past couple of days. I've been eating some but just nothing new yet. Have some sweet potatoes, tomatoes, potatoes and that darn rutabaga to do something with. That will put me at about 20 total veggies for the month. Still some work to get those last 10 veggies. :smile:
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I need to update my form. We're half way through the month folks...and at least in my case, in the hardest part. I've pretty much rotated through my standards. Now to find 10-12 NEW veggies. Yikes.
  • imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone enjoyed cabbage with their corned beef last night!