Interesting reads...

Options

Replies

• OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That is an interesting read. Sometimes we need to have perspective on our lifestyles. Having found out from losing probably 500 # in my lifetime -- Lose it - Gain it - Lose it - Gain it. Okay, not 500#, but sure feels like it. And having to come to terms that CICO is all there is. Accepting that I am going to mess up and eat all those Brazilian fried cheesy gooey goodness - no one was holding a gun to my head - I did eat them myself. #7 has been one of the hardest for me. I don't want to go home from work and workout for an hour - but I Need to and I Have to in order to continue being the person I want to be. Perhaps #10 could perhaps be: Consistency and Acceptance.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yes that one article about why it's so important to keep moving really struck home with me too.. especially because of the type ii diabetes.. I have no problem with walking every day in the spring/summer/fall but completely folded over the winter - but I read this one every morning now to help nudge my ever widening *kitten* down to the gym!!! :D
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Just got finished reading the importance to keep moving....... it makes a lot of sense doesn't it...I hope with the bike riding ,which I have amp'd up to 60 minutes ,more days than not, and standing at my desk almost 6- 8 hours will help me get my numbers down. I know I have read things saying sitting is the new danger for us...messes up all our innerds...Thanks for all the good info!!
  • OldWomanRuns
    Options
    Just a brisk 10 minute walk during the day makes me feel better. As I think about moving - all I know is my mom started walking daily back in the 70's when she was much younger than I am now. She is 81 and walks her 3 miles every morning; then goes and to play 18 holes of golf at least 4-5 times a week and then does an after dinner stroll - of course, living in Palm Springs would encourage most folks to be out there enjoying the weather. And Her mom will be 103 in May - she "retired" at the age of 88 from a Feed Store. Up until 101 she walked outside daily and only drove to church and grocery. She is now not able to get outside to walk, so walks around her house; where she lives alone. I aspire to be like them - so I know that moving and keep moving is vital to our overall health and well being. Let's keep Moving ladies!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Those are two admirable role models you have, OWR's . I imagine you are just as much so as they are. I believe moving is half the battle. Most people just quit and sit... and then the joints get sticky..
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Those are two admirable role models you have, OWR's . I imagine you are just as much so as they are. quote]

Totally agree with Time2 (Gail) on this post OWR... !!!
  • OldWomanRuns
    Options
    Thank you! I do warn my kids I'm going to be around Forever!! But only if I take it to heart and keep these sticky joints moving. They say weight is lost in the kitchen not the gym. I agree, partly. One cannot out train a poor diet / however we need to do both. Eat right and move.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Well said ladies. ....need to add walking more. ....after work and on weekends. ...I was thinking on my way home that I should add a few minutes of light exercise in the morning. ....maybe dancing to the music channel on tv for a few minutes.

Wish we luck:) B)

Carol
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Can't wait for spring and nice weather :D<3 (*)
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for spring and nice weather :D<3 (*)

^^^^ DITTO!!!! :smiley:
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    did the happy dance this morning... before coffee...lol
  • Snooozie
    Options

NEPA: an acronym in the world o’ fitness that stands for Non-Exercise Physical Activity.

http://www.jencomaskeck.com/2014/01/move-your-body-importance-of-nepa.html?m=1
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    :D
  • OldWomanRuns
    Options
    I will have to admit, I have tried to make sure to get my 10,000 steps in a day after the FitBit told on me (to myself) that I Need to get up from my desk and walk down the hall or trot around the building - DO Something! Great idea - got to Move it Move it Move it!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL OWR.. your fitbit ratted you out to yourself? love it!! But I totally get it.. I have my email prompt at work that comes up on the screen every hour saying 'GET UP!"; but I am also very guilty of the overall "lazy" attitude in the article above; once the intentional exercise is done especially in the winter I morph into a couch potato. Really like the idea of incorporating lots of NEPA things that I enjoy doing too into the movement plan; I might just wander over to the rec centre tomorrow and see what's being offered in the daily drop in classes for spring; and see if there's anything fun that gets me moving, or something new to me to try that's not just a fitness class.. (oh.. and one day.. the ONLY reason I forced myself down to the treadmill was because I saw suzy had posted her walk and I was like darn.. I gotta report in to the group on my goal LOL... so even if the fitbit tattling gets ya going, whatever works for us, right?? :D
  • Snooozie
    Options
    btw this particular paragraph in the NEPA article really hit home with me cause I'm totally guilty of this.... or WAS!! CHANGES TODAY! :D

"Habits are formed from repetitive behavior, and it’s all too easy to get into the rut (especially during the colder months) of being lazy. The more you choose to lay on the couch, the more you will want to only ever lay on the couch. On the flip side of this, the more you do things and choose to move your body, the easier and more natural that will become. "

• OldWomanRuns
    Options
    I did enjoy reading about the NEPA -- and vow to NEPA the heck out of today and tomorrow and ....... Truly is a great sentiment and the more we do it the easier it becomes. Well, waiting for that - but, I hope to able to embrace that also.
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lmao @ "NEPA the heck out of today" - love it OWR!
    - b0108.gifb0115.gift6014.gift6002.gif[/url
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    You got me rolling with the "NEPA gang" there ,Snoozie-o...
    Good info to know.
  • OldWomanRuns
    Options
    Let's do a ton of NEPA today!!! Weekend was a complete bust - my FitBit kept asking if I was still alive.... so, the more NEPA today the better!