Low carbs, but not in Ketosis.

Options
AfricazMost
AfricazMost Posts: 6 Member
Last 4 days I've had 38, 21, 26 and 22 net carbs

And my macro looks something like this for all days.
zrJY343.png

But yet still I'm not in ketosis. Sure I'm in calorie deficit, but the point of Keto is to burn fat and since I'm not in ketotsis then I'm simply packing on fat despite losing weight, correct?

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What meter are you using?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > since I'm not in ketotsis then I'm simply packing on fat despite losing weight, correct?

No, absolutely not.
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Is this your first attempt at getting into ketosis? It can take up to a week to get into ketosis. Once your body has been in ketosis for a while and you fall out (due to a binge) you can get back into ketosis faster/easier, but the first time can take a while.

Also (for me) your carbs are still a little high, 20g or under. Once you are in ketosis following a 20g or under you can slowly raise the carbs and see how high you can go w/o kicking your self out of ketosis if you want some people can got as high as 50g and be just fine. I try to stick to the 20g and that is with the fiber subtracted and I try not to eat anything with sugar alcohols so I don't have to worry about those carbs.

Good Luck
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have you only been doing this for 4 days? If so, that's why, especially if you're sedentary. It takes time to burn through packed glycogen stores, especially if you're not doing anything extra to burn them off.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Four days is a very short period of time to get into Ketosis. Especially when your above 20g per day. Like all lifestyle changes, you need to give it time and expect it to be up and down a bit.

Give yourself some time and keep your carbs very low for the first month, and you will get there.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest counting total carbs, rather than net. And try to keep them under 20g. At least until you get into ketosis. Once that happens, then you can play around a bit until you figure out what works best for you.
  • AfricazMost
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Latse wrote: »
    Is this your first attempt at getting into ketosis? It can take up to a week to get into ketosis. Once your body has been in ketosis for a while and you fall out (due to a binge) you can get back into ketosis faster/easier, but the first time can take a while.

Also (for me) your carbs are still a little high, 20g or under. Once you are in ketosis following a 20g or under you can slowly raise the carbs and see how high you can go w/o kicking your self out of ketosis if you want some people can got as high as 50g and be just fine. I try to stick to the 20g and that is with the fiber subtracted and I try not to eat anything with sugar alcohols so I don't have to worry about those carbs.

Good Luck

That is the strange thing. It is not first time, but rather the third time. The first and second time I was in keto relatively fast, but this is the longest it has taken. That is why I was puzzled, but I'll try to stick with it.

20g is very low and will be a difficult ot achieve for me. In the past all I needed to do was stay under 30 and I was in ketosis; but I'll try to keep it under 20g.
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Have you only been doing this for 4 days? If so, that's why, especially if you're sedentary. It takes time to burn through packed glycogen stores, especially if you're not doing anything extra to burn them off.

I was out drinking last Wendsday so I'm attempting to get back into it again, but it is taking longer than ever.
  • AfricazMost
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Meter?
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    How do you measure whether you're in ketosis?
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Meter?

Right, if you aren't measuring, how do you know you aren't in ketosis?