And now we are two

Options
Terrier
Terrier Posts: 4 Member
It's hard to diet when you are a foodie/winie. My husband and I are all about fresh, local, farm to table, etc. (All the buzz words) Anyway, just got back from a short trip that involved lots of eating. Now have to get back on track. My problem is that I never want to feel like I am on a diet. So, I set my goals low enough to allow for wine/dark chocolate.

Replies

• vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for joining me Terrier.. I'm currently on a diet... Took cruise several months ago, followed by holiday, then busy schedule with too many dinners out.

Hoping to focus on more at home cooking, leaving calorie room for weekend wine.. But not until I finish 30 days of getting back on track.
  • patrickhardy366
    Options
    Greetings, Bona fide foodie here with a great deal of weight to lose. Just thought I would check in as my food obsession is clearly what got me here in the first place.
  • vomckey
    Options
    Welcome @patrickhardy366‌ .. I think loving to cook, and enjoying quality food can be an asset in the fight against the bulge.

I'm enjoying searching out recipes that will keep me on track.

• whattheJKD
    whattheJKD Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, was excited to see the group! I like good food and alcohol, but tend to spend an hour or two (sometimes more:/) at night cooking in the winter. I'd like to figure out how to eat well while only spending that much time a few nights a week instead of every night. Making healthy meals in the summer seems so much simpler and quicker. Was hoping you guys could suggest some less time-intensive ideas for non-starchy veggie sides with dinner. For quick sides in the winter we do steamed turnips or broccoli, or brussels sprouts or okra tossed in olive oil and roasted. Actually any good main protein ideas would be welcome too! Any recommendations to mix things up or for good places to look for some?
  • vomckey
    Options
    Welcome to the group @whathejkd - I too find it much easier to cook/meal plan in the summer. In the summer, I grow a salsa garden and a "meatless Monday" garden.

I'm also a member of a CSA, so I get a surprise bunch of veggies every Thursday.

Tonight I'm grilling salmon and making a roasted corn salsa.. Some how have calories to spare so might make some Spanish style brown rice.
  • gabrielle704
    gabrielle704 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all....I LOVEEEE to cook and try new recipes
  • Terrier
    Terrier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are probably all familiar with the website "Skinnytaste". Gina Homolka provides many good lightened up recipes. Just made her baked chicken parmesan the other night and it was very good. For a quick winter salad, I throw together: fresh spinach, pecans, dried cranberries, and feta cheese and toss with a light balsamic vinaigrette.
  • NickyGiGi
    NickyGiGi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste is my obsession. I even bought her book - the only cookbook I've bought in more than 8 years.
  • vomckey
    Options
    Back from a trip .. Stocked up at grocery store, ready for a week of home cooked goodness.

Planning something w/ shrimp for dinner tonight.
  • patrickhardy366
    Options

vomckey wrote: »
    Welcome @patrickhardy366‌ .. I think loving to cook, and enjoying quality food can be an asset in the fight against the bulge.

I'm enjoying searching out recipes that will keep me on track.
    Thank you for the warm welcome!! I completely agree. I've enjoyed searching for great recipes that satisfy but also help me to lose!

• patrickhardy366
    Options
    whattheJKD wrote: »
    Hi, was excited to see the group! I like good food and alcohol, but tend to spend an hour or two (sometimes more:/) at night cooking in the winter. I'd like to figure out how to eat well while only spending that much time a few nights a week instead of every night. Making healthy meals in the summer seems so much simpler and quicker. Was hoping you guys could suggest some less time-intensive ideas for non-starchy veggie sides with dinner. For quick sides in the winter we do steamed turnips or broccoli, or brussels sprouts or okra tossed in olive oil and roasted. Actually any good main protein ideas would be welcome too! Any recommendations to mix things up or for good places to look for some?

I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes it's a drudge to make healthy food options, when you really want something fast and simple. I've recently started getting food boxes from Blue Apron. They provide quick to make meals, sending you all the precise ingredients for two and typically between 500 - 600 calories per meal. They have been a real boon to the weight loss process.
  • NickyGiGi
    NickyGiGi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try to prepare several meals on the weekends that can be reheated during the week. Or even prepping as much ahead to make the actual meal come together quicker. I have 3 kids in activities so time on weeknights is a precious commodity. I'll also prepare and package all my breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the week so all I have to do during the week is grab containers/bags. My weeks are so much more successful when I take the 2-3 hours on the weekend.
  • vomckey
    Options
    Tried 2 new recipes this week with some success.

Created from scratch chicken enchiladas using eggplant in place of tortillas. The 10 year old thinks they were better than regular enchiladas.