New to the group, want to confirm #s and also add friends!

toez79
toez79 Posts: 63 Member
I've just discovered this group and I'm really excited to get started! I've been reading about this way of eating for awhile now and it makes sense to me. I did an Atkins diet last year and I lost weight for awhile but then it stopped and I gained about 10 lbs when I added carbs back in. Since January I've been doing HIIT body pump style classes 2 days per week, and 2 days per week of vinyasa yoga. I feel great and I feel stronger, but I haven't lost any lbs. I have about 80-100 lbs to lose, so I need to start feeling some progress! I plan to take some measurements tonight.

I used the recommended calculator and got my BMR of 1844 and a TDEE of 2858. If I cut 15% of that, my TDEE is then 2429. So if I'm understanding correctly, I should eat 2429 calories per day, with a ratio of 40/30/30 of protein/carbs/fat. Then if I burn more than 585 calories in a day with exercise, I eat the amount needed to get back to that 585 calorie difference? MFP says 45 minutes of body pump for me burns 437 calories, so I don't think I'm going to get close to 585, but want to make sure I'm getting this right.

Finally, what are some of your eating tips for getting that many calories in? Protein shakes, eggs, chicken? If you work, what do you bring with you to work on a typical day? What do you eat before and after a workout? (I work out over lunch, so I eat a snack beforehand, and then my meal afterwards.)

And finally, please add me so I can add some EM2WL friends to my MFP wall! :)

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• Lshona
    Lshona Posts: 393 Member
    I'm new to EM2WL. I'll add you.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    given you didn't provide height, weight or age i dont have any input on the numbers, but with eating TDEE you eat the same amount every day, dont eat back exercise calories.

you can feel free to add me and take a look at my diary, i eat about 2100 calories/day, or at least try.
  • lovtolaff
    lovtolaff Posts: 65 Member
    Hi I'll add you :smiley: I can always use more friends. I'm not an expert on the numbers part of this but I can tell you some of the things I eat to get all of my calories/protein. Lots of greek yogurt, chicken, tuna, fish, eggs and occasionally protein bars.

I really don't limit myself too much on what I eat in regards to what I eat - I just try to eat healthier than before but if I'm going to have something that's probably not real healthy, I'll eat a smaller portion and make sure it fits into my calorie range.
  • toez79
    Thanks everyone!! I'm 5'7, 240 lbs and 35 years old. I used the scooby's calculator to get my 15% TDEE of 2429. My first day yesterday had macros that were off - about 100 grams short on protein, so I need to work on that! Of course I had kind of decided halfway through the day to switch to this program, so we'll see how today goes. :)
  • leooftheyear
    toez79 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!! I'm 5'7, 240 lbs and 35 years old. I used the scooby's calculator to get my 15% TDEE of 2429. My first day yesterday had macros that were off - about 100 grams short on protein, so I need to work on that! Of course I had kind of decided halfway through the day to switch to this program, so we'll see how today goes. :)

numbers look right to me, what do you have your macros set to and have you considered trying a strength training program like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves vs Body Pump? Don't get me wrong, i started with body pump and did it for at least a year or two but mixing it up with heavy strength training is also a good idea
  • lovtolaff
    lovtolaff Posts: 65 Member
    I too am 5'7 and weigh 200 even but I'm 46. My calories are less than yours as I have a desk job but I'm trying to work on being more active. I did pick the 1-3 hours a week of light exercise b/c I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women and some walking occasionally.

You might want to look into the New Rules routine - I really like it and it does produce results! I'm pretty sure I can fool people in regards to my weight lol. I try to go by the way my clothes fit and not the scale and I can wear a size 14 (sometimes 12) since lifting weights.
  • toez79
    I set my macros to 40/30/30, so it's 2429 calories, 81 fat, 243 protein, and 182 carbs. The protein is really hard to get to!
  • toez79
    I would like to try some more straight strength training, but I can only work out at lunch right now and the trainers are doing the body pump classes. I'd like to do some personal training so I might try to change to the afternoon and then be able to do that. I also do like the cardio aspect of body pump that I get!
  • leooftheyear
    I would like to try some more straight strength training, but I can only work out at lunch right now and the trainers are doing the body pump classes. I'd like to do some personal training so I might try to change to the afternoon and then be able to do that. I also do like the cardio aspect of body pump that I get!

my suggestion, if you're interested in starting a strength training routine, pick up the New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves book and read through it. I agree with liking Body Pump for the cardio, but New Rules of Lifting for Women incorporates heavy weights and interval training, so you do get your heart rate up
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I set my macros to 40/30/30, so it's 2429 calories, 81 fat, 243 protein, and 182 carbs. The protein is really hard to get to!

You got carbs and protein reversed there. That's a ton of unneeded protein.
    Perhaps you have it right, but just mentioned it wrong.

2429 x 0.4 = 971.6 / 4 = 243 carbs

2429 x 0.3 = 728.7 / 4 = 182 protein

2429 x 0.3 = 728.7 / 9 = 81 fat was right.

When you are using MFP's system, it auto-adjusts for you, and makes things rather difficult.
  • toez79
    LOL Yep I do have them switched. THAT MAKES IT A LOT EASIER! I was like how am I realistically supposed to eat all this protein! :) Thank you so much!
  • toez79
    It'd be nice if MFP didn't automatically update the #s when you add exercise too. Do you all just not even log exercise in MFP? Like when I put in my workout today, it changed all my fat/protein/carb goal #s too.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    hey :-) I just got the good advise to not log it as an exercise but just to post it in my timeline. So I can keep track of it, it could motivate my friends, but it doesn´t stir up my macros :-)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    I post it as 1 calorie - you can manually change it.