Low carb and IBS/IBD/Crohns

Options
LunaKate
LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Can eating low carb be bad for people that have some sort of IBS/IBD?

My husband started having IBS like issues about a year ago. They have run lots of tests, he had a little improvement going gluten free but barely, and to date they are still not sure what it is. Possibly Crohns. He is having a flare and since Im the one that cooks and I just started low carb a little over a week ago I fear I might have caused the flare somehow. He still eats carbs and we are still eating the same kinds of foods. Acidic foods and greasy foods, like deep fried things, are really bad for him but we avoid them anyways.

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Low carb cured my IBS. But I don't have any experience with Crohns.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a food intolerance test, there are many online labs with variety of tests available. Check foods high in FODMAPs and see what maybe causing a problem. I just love when doctors label any digestive issues with IBS /:
    IBS can be managed, it's a culprit food elimination way of controlling it.
    I'm intolerant of green salads and have to cook my veggies like broccoli and spinach. I'm also sensitive to casein and try not to indulge in cheese or dairy
    Don't know much about Crohns but I'm sure there is info on line about LC and Chrohns and if it's a good idea to manage it within LC woe.
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon a blog written by an athlete with crohns. He switched to a low carb diet and didn't have any more flare-ups. It might be worth a search.

I did an exclusion diet called the virgin diet and discovered I don't tolerate lactose. I was shocked, but the diet had me avoid it for several weeks before trying it again. I get sick each time I encounter it. That diet eventually got me to go primal and then LCHF. It made me aware of the possibility that certain foods can make you sick without it being a allergy - call it a sensitivity. I excluded a bunch of common problem foods and then added them back individually. I learned a lot in the process.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A great website about this is www.nobunplease.com He has some of my favorite recipes too!
  • LunaKate
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! The doctor had him do a week of no sugar, week of no dairy, and a week of no gluten but he didnt notice any change. An exclusion diet sounds good, if only I can get him to do it. He doesnt like to even talk about it but I hate seeing him sick and not trying to help.

Thanks for the great ideas, I'll try to cook things that are plain for a bit then try adding different foods again one at a time.

LowCarbHeart that website is great, he lists the foods that work well for him, Ill give them a try!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think it takes more than a week to see any changes. What is his food like? Does he eat a lot a veg? Crohns is actually very hard to diagnose from what I understand. Is there a specific test for it? I have a friend who's son has Crohns and she said it took them a while to diagnose it. I'm sure he is on. meds. I hope he will listen to you and try to cooperate, it's hard with men!
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Dear LunaKate,

My son has Crohn's, diagnosed two years ago, and as itchotog said, it can be a tough diagnosis (ulcerative colitis being a more common diagnosis of the two forms of IBD, Crohn's and ulcerative colitis). If it is in fact IBD and not IBS (although sometimes if one has IBD there are some resulting IBS issues) managing by diet alone is not as successful and I would say, even rare. Think of it this way - with IBS you are better if you find what makes your symptoms better, ie what to eat. With IBD, you are dealing with a serious disease state and this is not managed symptomatically only.
    We do dietary measures, with the guidance of a well-trained integrative physician (think "real" physician who is also trained in alternative approaches, ie, Andrew Weil) as well as "traditional" approaches ie, drugs, surgery, etc. After a long and very difficult road he is now well-managed and once again thriving, but I will say it was drugs, and eventually surgery (only when necessary) that did it for my son - the purpose of my sons diet is to reduce overall inflammation, and healthily gain weight, as well as avoid possible autoimmune-stimulating foods that might worsen things.

Gluten/wheat is often the number one culprit, as is often dairy. Some cannot handle much fat at all, so if you are on a higher fat percent and lower carb, he might not tolerate that as well. It depends on the person. So I might say, at this point, cook a healthy carb with meals for him to eat, while you are low carb. You are on track too with cutting out sugar and fried foods. My son does rice very well, limited, careful veggies, fish, dark meat chicken, coconut milk (I mix his own weight gain snakes using it).

Since you don't yet have a diagnosis, I strongly suggest you push for this as your first goal while finding foods that bring comfort in the meantime. NOT to scare you, but if it is in fact IBD (Crohn's or ulcerative colitis) the sooner the treated, the better, or you could be asking for a terrible time of it. It is really not something to ignore or that will go away. A colonoscopy with biopsy is the only real way to diagnose. Then you will know what you are dealing with.

Hope this helps!
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stay off all grains, I work in GI department
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I haven't had IBS since going low carb. I used to have it daily. I've never dealt with Crohn's.
  • JocelyneRage
    JocelyneRage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dear LunaKate,

My son has Crohn's, diagnosed two years ago, and as itchotog said, it can be a tough diagnosis (ulcerative colitis being a more common diagnosis of the two forms of IBD, Crohn's and ulcerative colitis). If it is in fact IBD and not IBS (although sometimes if one has IBD there are some resulting IBS issues) managing by diet alone is not as successful and I would say, even rare. Think of it this way - with IBS you are better if you find what makes your symptoms better, ie what to eat. With IBD, you are dealing with a serious disease state and this is not managed symptomatically only.
    We do dietary measures, with the guidance of a well-trained integrative physician (think "real" physician who is also trained in alternative approaches, ie, Andrew Weil) as well as "traditional" approaches ie, drugs, surgery, etc. After a long and very difficult road he is now well-managed and once again thriving, but I will say it was drugs, and eventually surgery (only when necessary) that did it for my son - the purpose of my sons diet is to reduce overall inflammation, and healthily gain weight, as well as avoid possible autoimmune-stimulating foods that might worsen things.

Gluten/wheat is often the number one culprit, as is often dairy. Some cannot handle much fat at all, so if you are on a higher fat percent and lower carb, he might not tolerate that as well. It depends on the person. So I might say, at this point, cook a healthy carb with meals for him to eat, while you are low carb. You are on track too with cutting out sugar and fried foods. My son does rice very well, limited, careful veggies, fish, dark meat chicken, coconut milk (I mix his own weight gain snakes using it).

Since you don't yet have a diagnosis, I strongly suggest you push for this as your first goal while finding foods that bring comfort in the meantime. NOT to scare you, but if it is in fact IBD (Crohn's or ulcerative colitis) the sooner the treated, the better, or you could be asking for a terrible time of it. It is really not something to ignore or that will go away. A colonoscopy with biopsy is the only real way to diagnose. Then you will know what you are dealing with.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for posting this. I've been diagnosed with Crohns 3 years now, and since then, whatever hurls me into a flare up seems to change with the seasons. I've been soy free for 2 years and felt great for a decent amount of time, but I've been stuck in a flare up I can't shake off all winter (along with the never ending sniffles and carious other infections). I'm currently on a strict soy free diet and a temporary (potentially permanent) dairy free diet. But you've inspired me to see a proper nutritionist. I had no idea wheat and grains could be such a nuisance.
  • JocelyneRage
    JocelyneRage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hope everything works out for you and your husband, LunaKate! The process of an IBD/Crohns diagnosis can be a really tough thing to deal with, and then once you're diagnosed, it doesn't get easier. But it will, eventually. Stick to the soft stuff, it's easier for the stomach to digest, such as rice with steamed veggies and some chicken. It gets tedious eating the same thing over and over, but if it shows positive results, it's worth it!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    Dear LunaKate,

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for posting this. I've been diagnosed with Crohns 3 years now, and since then, whatever hurls me into a flare up seems to change with the seasons. I've been soy free for 2 years and felt great for a decent amount of time, but I've been stuck in a flare up I can't shake off all winter (along with the never ending sniffles and carious other infections). I'm currently on a strict soy free diet and a temporary (potentially permanent) dairy free diet. But you've inspired me to see a proper nutritionist. I had no idea wheat and grains could be such a nuisance.

Jocelyne,
    Only those who have experienced Crohn's can know how horrible and unpredictable it is. Hugs to you!! We go to one of the top three IBD centers in the nation (we travel to get my son there) but they don't do anything with diet. Be very careful whom you trust as a "nutritionist" :-). Many chiroprators, "naturopaths" etc. will say they can help you, but i would be very careful! This is a serious autoimmune disease state, not just a "digestive issue" as some want to treat it. VERY different from IBS as you know!Here is a link to a description of integrative medicine - perhaps you can find one in your area who is experienced in dealing with IBD, or can give you a good referral to a knowledgeable dietitian (someone who will go beyond recommending a "bland diet" which is sadly par for the course in many instances.

We have learned some good things from Sarah Ballantyne's book, The Paleo Approach, which discusses paleo and autoimmune disease, although with Crohn's, your food choices will vary individually as to what your gut can handle. Staying off soy is wise!! Best wishes to you!!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    oops Jocelyne and Kate, here's the link. Our integrative doctor works WITH our GI - they share records, etc. It is wonderful! This way we avoid drug/supplement interactions, etc.
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02054/Andrew-Weil-Integrative-Medicine.html
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I had pretty crippling IBS for years. It's mostly gone after doing GF, lactosefree diet on LCHF supplemented with fibers (30-40g a day).

"Forever" is a strong word. But it's one of the major reasons apart from lower inflammation, that will make me choose to stay on this WOE unless I find another way to manage symptoms.

If you're curious about more experiences there are many posts about this on reddit/r/keto.
  • LunaKate
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow thanks so much Healthymom_5 and JocelyneRage!

They did a colonoscopy and biopsy but didnt find anything. Its not ulcerative colitis but could still be Crohn's and the VA just doesnt seem to want to check his small intestine. Avoiding gluten seemed to barely help. He just has flares where he is miserable for a week or more. The first flare was horrible. He was sick for at least a month, lost like 10lbs and had no energy. We thought he must have had food poisoning or stomach flu. But then the next 4 months he had a flare about every 30 days. He ended up in the ER once to replenish his fluids. Now he seems to go about 2-3 months between flares. Nothing seems to cause them which is frustrating when the doctor tells you to find what triggers them.

We have a cabinet FULL of half used prescriptions that havent helped. The doctor gives him one, waits two months, checks in, ups dosage or changes to another one. He has trouble sleeping when its bad because of the pain. He has trouble even drinking enough water sometimes because he says he feels like it just sits in his stomach making him feel nauseous.

We just have to wait it out and hope they find something eventually.

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I know someone with Crohn's and the only treatment that has helped is infusions of Remicade (this person was a vegetarian for years and does not eat low carb AFAIK). I believe it is very expensive though, but I guess that could vary depending on insurance. There is also helminthic therapy (hookworms), but I don't think it is currently available in the U.S.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My wife has Crohn's. About the only grain she can tolerate is rice. Also, any dairy products are not good for her. She uses the other 'milks.' Almond, coconut, but not soy.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    LunaKate wrote: »
    Can eating low carb be bad for people that have some sort of IBS/IBD?

My husband started having IBS like issues about a year ago. They have run lots of tests, he had a little improvement going gluten free but barely, and to date they are still not sure what it is. Possibly Crohns. He is having a flare and since Im the one that cooks and I just started low carb a little over a week ago I fear I might have caused the flare somehow. He still eats carbs and we are still eating the same kinds of foods. Acidic foods and greasy foods, like deep fried things, are really bad for him but we avoid them anyways.

I suggest you do a google search for these words:

fecal transplant crohn's

Yes, it sounds gross and at first you may think its quackery, but the same was said about LCHF/Ketogenic when it came out.

There is a lot of research going on now and the results look spectacular.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • LunaKate
    Options
    Eating gluten free does help him but diary doesnt seem to be an issue. He doesnt have much anyway. I havent heard of Remicade, we'll definately look into it. Ive heard of fecal transplant, its to introduce the good bacteria back in, I heard it works well. The biggst thing is the doctor doesnt seem to want to do anything big like that. I think he'd need a diagnoses before we could. Hopefully we will get that soon, whatever it is. It could even be an ulcer somewhere.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I guess you are keeping a thorough record of all foods and drinks consumed in the hope of finding some pattern? I'd even suggest adding any skin creams, soaps etc, or locations with potential environmental toxins. The more information you have, the more likely you are to find out if there *is* anything controllable that you can change.

I know this is totally different, but I used to get an itchy rash on the skin over one of my hip bones. I kept track of everything and eventually found out it was a particular brand of shampoo I used from time to time! Just an example that sometimes causes are not what we expect.

Really hoping everything can be sorted out so that he can live a comfortable and happy life again.