Sushi

Options
ShawnaDrew
ShawnaDrew Posts: 59 Member
Oh how I miss sushi. We usually only have it on the rare occasion that we are without our kids for dinner and this weekend we are going to be in the city without them overnight! There's only certain kinds of sushi that I like, and they ALL contain rice.

I need ideas of what we can do for dinner, that wouldn't be normally done with kids. LOL Liquid dinner perhaps? HAHA I kid, I kid.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wonder if there are recipes out there for making sushi with cauli-rice, sweetener, tuna, and such. Made me wonder. Obviously spicy mayo isn't a problem...dunno about wasabi, but wouldn't think so.

Usually if I go to a buffet style place for Hibachi, I do the all meat/few veggies plate at the grill, and otherwise, I mostly stick to the shrimp choices.

Otherwise, I'd look for a nicer steakhouse or something. Or if you're staying in a hotel, find something in walking distance so that you can choose to have a drink or so if you so choose. I don't know...for me, surf and turf is fairly adult and indulgent... Also, usually the higher class establishments use more "whole" ingredients...

P.S. This reminds me that I have a smoked salmon fat bomb recipe I want to make up tonight! :)
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think you could go have your sushi. Count the calories still and stay in your goal, try to have as few carbs as possible for the rest of your meals that day and maybe the next and you'll get right back on keto. (are you keto?)

Also, you could see what other things are on the menu. They probably have some sort of fish/chicken and veggie dish and then you could just steal a couple pieces of your husbands sushi.
  • mamanicole79
    mamanicole79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I crave sushi, I get the spicy tuna naruto roll. Its wrap in cucumber instead of the rice and it satisfies my sushi craving.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    IMHO, some things are worth going off your diet for. Sushi is one of them. :)
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    When I crave sushi, I get the spicy tuna naruto roll. Its wrap in cucumber instead of the rice and it satisfies my sushi craving.

This! Or, sashimi, which is just thinly sliced fish, but that only works if you can do raw fish. But the roll mentioned above is one of my favorites.
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    IMHO, some things are worth going off your diet for. Sushi is one of them. :)

I completely agree! I cut back calories a few days before and then indulge without guilt
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

You are my life saver lol. I was craving Sushi yesterday and was trying to see how can I order it without the rice besides sashimi, which I also love.
    Thank you, thank you!!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I will have to try the spicy tuna naruto! But it may be a gateway to carbier sushi for me. Luckily my husband isn't a fan so I rarely eat it anymore.
  • ShawnaDrew
    ShawnaDrew Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am not keto (yet) but haven't had any major carbs since January. I'm going to wait and see what we decide. The steak sounds lovely too. Hahah. I love me a big hunk of meat!!

Suppose I do decide to have sushi, I should expect a gain on the scale for the next week or so?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    ShawnaDrew wrote: »
    Suppose I do decide to have sushi, I should expect a gain on the scale for the next week or so?

If you eat enough rice to replenish your glycogen stores, you might add a couple pounds in water weight. But then you'll have plenty of glycogen if you want to sprint, lift weights, or some other sugar-burner effort. :)

• lowcarber87
    lowcarber87 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just bought a tuna and avocado roll with no rice and it tasted delicious. They confirmed I didn't want rice about 5 times though lol
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    The place I get sushi will make it without the rice if I ask them to. I also take my own soy sauce (since I can't have wheat) or coconut aminos (since I'm cutting out soy).
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Mmm....now I want tuna sashimi with spicy mayo....
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    sashimi, squid salad, steak. lots of good low carb options at a japanese restaurant!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You can also ask for the sushi with half the rice.. If you aren't keto, that will help. My sister does it all the time :)
  • mkroberger
    mkroberger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think going to a nice steakhouse when in the city is a great idea. And add to that a dry martini and you are low on carbs, while still having a grand time! I would be hard pressed to not order the usual favs too when at a sushi place. Enjoy your date night in the city!