We need a "Pro Calorie Counting" thread/discussion

Options

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I often wonder why people of that time period seemed to eat multi-course dinners every day, go for a brief and definitely non-aerobic stroll around the nearest park and always remain reed slim. Though I suppose they couldn't eat much in those corsets! And there were no processed foods.

Sorry - please return to the actual topic :#
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I often wonder why people of that time period seemed to eat multi-course dinners every day, go for a brief and definitely non-aerobic stroll around the nearest park and always remain reed slim. Though I suppose they couldn't eat much in those corsets! And there were no processed foods.

Sorry - please return to the actual topic :#

True! Though from what I've read the course were light, and probably smaller portioned. And then some fool went and invented the corset. I'm sure that answered a lot of "weight" issues, lol.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be 'full figured' than strangled *nodding*
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Reasons I count:

1) I eat the number of calories for the weight I want to be. If I exercise, I eat more, but I still have to be careful because I get REALLY hungry after exercise.

2) I'm OCD and a data analyst. Counting keeps me mindful and on track.

3) My body's satiety signaling system is still messed up. If I don't count, I will eat too much and then feel very icky.

4) I'm retraining myself on realistic volume/sizing.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    OK, Goat. Now that I have a better understanding of your reasoning for this thread, I think what you're really looking for are anti-Taubes arguments.

Start here with obesity researcher Stephan Guyenet:
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

And there's the book I mentioned earlier:
    The Low Carb Myth

The arguments are pro-calorie-deficit. They would warn you that fat generally doesn't have higher satiety than slow carbs, and that you can easily overeat.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My main set back with trying to drop the lbs is emotional eating. I will recognize when I'm not hungry, but I will still want to eat something. Counting keeps me in check. If I have to log it, and I see how many calories it is, it helps me to stop the emotional eating. In the moment of the craving, it's very hard to stop the behavior of eating. Having to log it keeps me honest. I need to answer to something for this behavior so I can work on it to make it better.

I'm also a science minded person (High School Biology Teacher), so knowing numbers and seeing results is kinda one of my things. My body is my experiment, and I need numbers to compare for my results.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    By upping my fats over and over and daily, my emotional eating is mostly resolved... I just find LCHF friendly items to meet the same craving... I can't even imagine going back to some of the old foods I used to want to live off of ....
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think the one last night knocked me out of ketosis and all I had was fried chicken, green beans, lima beans and green peas and unsweetened ice tea.

This was a surprise?

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    OK, Goat. Now that I have a better understanding of your reasoning for this thread, I think what you're really looking for are anti-Taubes arguments.

Start here with obesity researcher Stephan Guyenet:
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

And there's the book I mentioned earlier:
    The Low Carb Myth

The arguments are pro-calorie-deficit. They would warn you that fat generally doesn't have higher satiety than slow carbs, and that you can easily overeat.
    Pretty much. I want reasons that people should consider counting, as opposed to the ones I give saying they should consider not counting.

I can't get that book right now. Can you sum up the major points and contentions it has with low carb being used with ad libitum eating?
  • wabmester
    Options
    First, if anybody buys the book, be prepared for fairly rational arguments against most of the low-carb beliefs. They're presented with scientific backing, but IMHO, the author cherry-picks his studies and uses a pretty vitriolic tone which will turn off many people.

The main premise can probably be summed up as: insulin isn't evil, it just signals the body that glucose is available. Industrialized society is evil for making the stuff we eat. Our brain dictates what we eat, and it hasn't evolved for the world we live in.

The studies presented are mostly those that show low-carb and low-fat diet results are similar when the calorie deficit is similar.

In the end, the recommendations aren't that much different than, say, Bailor, Paleo, etc.

But the difference is that they go into the brain/behavioral aspects, like:
    • The reward value of food. Beware of pleasure!
    • Food variety. Boring can be good for you.
    • Avoid micronutrient deficiencies, but not with supplements. Getting this right may boost your metabolism.
    • Protein = high-satiety = good weight-loss food.
    • Eat lots of plants.
    • Metabolic health = avoid constant low-cal, low-carb diets. Sleep well, etc.
    • Sustainability.

Similar to other books, they suggest ways to address these points, but the implication is that if you're on a low-carb diet, it'll work as long as you're in a calorie deficit, and lots of protein will make that easier.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I was fine with all the points up to the plants and avoiding constants. LOL

I'll probably incorporate those points and reference the book when I compile the reasons people want to count.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Counting calories may be a method for people to feel in control of what they are eating. Particularly when paired with a LCHF woe. The CICO that we've all be taught implies that if we are overweight then we have lost control aka "willpower".

LCHF can satiate people so that they are eating at a lower calorie intake. Seeing those results may provide a sense of achievement and belief in self which would further assist in being able to continue to their LCHF plan. Particularly if it's proving easier than if they were eating high carb.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I count because I'm an OCD control freak, but it doesn't change what I eat...
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    *duplicate*
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    RATSMITH69 wrote: »

So you don't restrict? That is what I would consider "not counting" but instead call "logging." Perhaps the first thing for each thread should be to define what exactly I mean by counting.
    • Counting is conscious restriction of calories to a pre-defined range.
    • Not counting would be eating until satisfied or satiated, regardless of how high/low any specific day would be in calories.

Does this change anyone's reasons for counting? I did notice a lot of people said they just like a log or data. I have logged before, without what I consider counting. I'd eat as much/little as I felt like.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict due to calories. I might change things up for less carbs but if I'm hungry I'm gonna eat!!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

So you don't restrict? That is what I would consider "not counting" but instead call "logging." Perhaps the first thing for each thread should be to define what exactly I mean by counting.
    • Not counting would be eating until satisfied or satiated, regardless of how high/low any specific day would be in calories.

Does this change anyone's reasons for counting? I did notice a lot of people said they just like a log or data. I have logged before, without what I consider counting. I'd eat as much/little as I felt like.

It doesn't change mine. When I don't count and restrict, and specifically, don't measure, I gain. Counting, restricting and measuring are what enable me to lose what I gained over those few years.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I'm trying to slowly slide up to maintenance. I'm finding the calorie count useful as I adjust input to weight loss/gain. Especially since my burn rate has changed due to a different body composition than the one I started the diet with.

At the same time, I'm finding it hard to eat more due to being pretty satiated, so I could probably do this on ad libitum cruise-control. Just glad I don't have to do this on faith alone. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Yup, I track/log, but I don't count/restrict...
    I don't restrict due to calories. I might change things up for less carbs but if I'm hungry I'm gonna eat!!

And 100% THIS ^^^^^!!!!!!
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am amazed and inspired by everyone that does their research. I learn a lot from all of you. The basic reason I log my food is that I easily forget what I have already eaten and can talk myself into poor habits ( I feel ya JennyToy). Logging keeps me focused and in control of what I put into my mouth. It has been a lesson hard learned (and still learning).