"Fried" Summer Sausage

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So, I got a really great deal on some summer sausage at my local store, I'm assuming that it was either because the store isn't going to carry that brand anymore or because it is going out of date in April. Regardless, I paid $2/roll, which is normally $6-$10/roll. And right now, cost and volume of food is critical to my horrible financial situation (for anyone bemoaning the "processed" aspect...).

All that being said, after eating the first tube cold with cheese, my guy also added crackers, I was kind of dreading the idea of eating more, cold... So, I started wondering if I could cook it up and crisp it up. I've seen pepperoni "chips" and people "frying" bologna forever, so I figured, try it, it can't hurt. Worst I could do was have to chop it up and toss it in something else.

Well, I obviously did not have to do that. I cut it into thin 1/8"-1/4" slices, and tossed it in a frying pan/skillet. I turned the heat on medium and let it brown, flipping it a few times. It was glorious - like browned pork sausage, but more decadent. I don't know how to account for the "grease" that cooked out, but when it was brown and on my place, I added small slices of medium cheddar and a small squirt of spicy brown mustard to each piece.

I only ate about half of what I'd made, as it was so filling. Because it was fully cooked, I didn't have to worry about an internal temp or anything.

Has anyone else found anything you didn't expect to like prepared another way?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have you never had fried bologna? It's actually quite good. I don't do it often, because it is a processed meat product, but I'm okay with doing such things once in a while (I figure half a dozen slices once in a blue moon isn't going to kill me). Just toss it in a skillet and let it brown a little (it'll make a bubble in the middle, and might split on a radius, just FYI), flip and brown some more, then just eat it with a fork. Nom, nom, nom. The spices and juices kind of caramelize, so it changes the flavor a little (kind of like how roasting garlic changes the flavor).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand bologna. Ever since I was a kid, it made me sick to my stomach. Hot dogs are much the same. I could not eat them without feeling icky afterward without drowning them in either chili/cheese or enough ketchup/mustard to drown a horse. Grilling them outdoors made them slightly more tolerable. Same with corn dogs. Now if I got the all beef versions, they were slightly better. All my siblings lived on bologna. I can't for the life of me remember what I ate, but it wasn't that, and it wasn't PB&J because PB and I are not friends at all...

I imagine that fried bologna might be tolerable and my stomach preferences and tolerances might have changed, but EWWWW.... Not something I'm going to try right now, thanks! LOL
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I cannot stand bologna. Ever since I was a kid, it made me sick to my stomach. Hot dogs are much the same. I could not eat them without feeling icky afterward without drowning them in either chili/cheese or enough ketchup/mustard to drown a horse. Grilling them outdoors made them slightly more tolerable. Same with corn dogs. Now if I got the all beef versions, they were slightly better. All my siblings lived on bologna. I can't for the life of me remember what I ate, but it wasn't that, and it wasn't PB&J because PB and I are not friends at all...

I imagine that fried bologna might be tolerable and my stomach preferences and tolerances might have changed, but EWWWW.... Not something I'm going to try right now, thanks! LOL

lol, fair enough! Explains why you haven't had it, though. :drinker:
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    <SNIP>

I only ate about half of what I'd made, as it was so filling. Because it was fully cooked, I didn't have to worry about an internal temp or anything.

Has anyone else found anything you didn't expect to like prepared another way?

Yes. Bacon (everyone is aghast!) I always liked bacon just ok. AND cream cheese. Hardly ever ate it. But when I learned recently to wrap my chicken with bacon and stuff it with cream cheese, it is now in my top five favorite foods. The same with bacon wrapped peppers or Jalepenos poppers. There is something about when the cream cheese soaks up the fat from the bacon, then the Cream cheese gets a golden "sunburn" on it by the oven heat, that the flavor is uber-magnifico. I now will NEVER let my bacon or Cream cheese even get close to running low ~ or I will go into panic mode!!!

Here are my recent recipes mentioned above:

Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • VRay99
    VRay99 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I always liked bacon just ok. AND cream cheese. Hardly ever ate it. But when I learned recently to wrap my chicken with bacon and stuff it with cream cheese, it is now in my top five favorite foods.

OmG, I tried the chicken stuffed with cream cheese wrapped in bacon recipe this evening!! I too, Dan, now have a new top 5 food. I'm not a huge cream cheese fan but love the way it blends with the chicken and bacon. Thanks for the idea!!
  • VRay99
    VRay99 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The first paragraph was a quote from Dan....darn android app
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    vdraghi wrote: »
    I always liked bacon just ok. AND cream cheese. Hardly ever ate it. But when I learned recently to wrap my chicken with bacon and stuff it with cream cheese, it is now in my top five favorite foods.

OmG, I tried the chicken stuffed with cream cheese wrapped in bacon recipe this evening!! I too, Dan, now have a new top 5 food. I'm not a huge cream cheese fan but love the way it blends with the chicken and bacon. Thanks for the idea!!

YAY! someone actually tried my recipe (I was wondering if I was just wasting my time posting the recipes). Well I am glad you liked it! You made my day!

I "batch prepared" 4 of them tonight. I added a few pickled hot jalepenos slices and some bacon bits next to the cream cheese (I like variations). I'll have them for dinner this week. Instead of putting them in foil, last night I bought some nice pyrex bowls with lids on them from Walmart. Really handy, Here's a pic:

1k3l8gh8fd04.jpg

Thank you vdraghi for the feedback!

My Past Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    vdraghi wrote: »

YAY! someone actually tried my recipe (I was wondering if I was just wasting my time posting the recipes). Well I am glad you liked it! You made my day!

I "batch prepared" 4 of them tonight. I added a few pickled hot jalepenos slices and some bacon bits next to the cream cheese (I like variations). I'll have them for dinner this week. Instead of putting them in foil, last night I bought some nice pyrex bowls with lids on them from Walmart. Really handy, Here's a pic:

1k3l8gh8fd04.jpg

Thank you vdraghi for the feedback!

My Past Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)

Ive actually made a few of your recipes. Did the stuffed jalapeno peppers but I used those small sweet peppers. Daughter said they were ok, but she's not a pepper fan. Hubby LOVED them! I cant eat them because they are a nightshade but they smelled amazing! Did some chocolate covered strawberries and daughter loved those. So please keep posting recipes!!