Keto-adjusted?

Options
glossbones
glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
A week or so ago, I read somewhere that, once past the keto adjustment phase, I'd wake one day overflowing with energy.

Today could certainly be described that way. I did the laundry, grocery shopped, cleaned the litter pans, broke down boxes for recycling, and then decided to tackle the boxes of things that needed to be sorted for storage. All on half my breakfast and nothing until now when I'm sitting down with a protein shake because I'm just not that hungry but want to manage my macros.

Sound about right? Or am I just manic?

Replies

• Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm entering my 6th week on keto and I don't feel the energy boost people talk about.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It could be. Or, it could just be a random day. See if it hold true for a while. My biggest "this is new" post-adaptation was becoming a morning person. I've never been a morning person. Now, I get up right away with my alarm and I just go. I don't really get manic. But, I have constant steady energy all day.
  • glossbones
    Options
    Oh that would be the best thing that could happen to me, Goat! I didn't wake up early today but I was up very late last night. We will see how tomorrow goes!
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yea I agree with goat. I dont notice any change in any energy however I am a morning person. Every day I jump out of bed and hit the gym... even on weekends. I dont use alarms- ever.
  • MrsNonsense
    MrsNonsense Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been ketoing for 5 days now, yesterday I woke up with SO much energy I went on a hike even when it was 90 degrees outside, came home, went out to play with the dog and did all sorts of things I normally wouldn't do. I used to be very lazy and spend my days playing video games.
    I've noticed on day 3 something was going on because I cleaned the entire house, and it usually takes me a while to get going, including lots of breaks.
    Today I went on another hike, left the house pretty early and I just came back. This is SO unusual for me.
    I feel borderline hyper, actually, happy and on a great mood!
    I also noticed I'm not hungry anymore.
    I skipped lunch yesterday and today (not intentionally, though), had a normal omelette/bacon breakfast around 9/10 am then went for a hike, it's 8pm and I got a bit hungry so I just had dinner, in a normal day I'd be eating all my meals and snacking crap carbs all day.
    Those two things tipped me off, so I'd say you're probably right!
  • glossbones
    Options
    Lately I haven't been able to hear my alarm when it goes off (white noise from the fans plus tucking it in the trundle drawer on my side of the bed so I can reach it without leaning down to the floor (drawers keep us from putting side tables out, but I'm thinking of getting one anyway).

Anyway, this morning I did hit snooze 5 times, but I was wide awake and only did it to snuggle. A good sign!
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When you find yourself laughing and dancing down the grocery isles you know something weird is happening to you.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I love not having 2 pm crash. Seriously, I would fall asleep around that time but not anymore. I constantly do things, even yard work which I hate lol
  • glossbones
    Options
    That's a great point, itcphotog.. I normally would be dragging right after lunch. I haven't felt like that since day 1, though.
  • alicepalmerrussell442
    Options
    Hi part of bring ketogenic is natural intermittent fasting. This is when you loose weight because you are burning fat. Ride i

[/b]
    A week or so ago, I read somewhere that, once past the keto adjustment phase, I'd wake one day overflowing with energy.

Today could certainly be described that way. I did the laundry, grocery shopped, cleaned the litter pans, broke down boxes for recycling, and then decided to tackle the boxes of things that needed to be sorted for storage. All on half my breakfast and nothing until now when I'm sitting down with a protein shake because I'm just not that hungry but want to manage my macros.

Yea I agree with goat. I dont notice any change in any energy however I am a morning person. Every day I jump out of bed and hit the gym... even on weekends. I dont use alarms- ever.
    That's a great point, itcphotog.. I normally would be dragging right after lunch. I haven't felt like that since day 1, though.

[/i]

I've been ketoing for 5 days now, yesterday I woke up with SO much energy I went on a hike even when it was 90 degrees outside, came home, went out to play with the dog and did all sorts of things I normally wouldn't do. I used to be very lazy and spend my days playing video games.
    I've noticed on day 3 something was going on because I cleaned the entire house, and it usually takes me a while to get going, including lots of breaks.
    Today I went on another hike, left the house pretty early and I just came back. This is SO unusual for me.
    I feel borderline hyper, actually, happy and on a great mood!
    I also noticed I'm not hungry anymore.
    I skipped lunch yesterday and today (not intentionally, though), had a normal omelette/bacon breakfast around 9/10 am then went for a hike, it's 8pm and I got a bit hungry so I just had dinner, in a normal day I'd be eating all my meals and snacking crap carbs all day.
    Those two things tipped me off, so I'd say you're probably right!

• alicepalmerrussell442
    alicepalmerrussell442 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi part of bring ketogenic is natural intermittent fasting. This is when you loose weight because you are burning fat. Ride it out; don't force it but when it happens it is wonderful. I eat at about 11 am and 7 pm naturally. If I'm hungry I eat. I am fully adapted and have been VLCK for over 2 years. I feel amazing!
  • glossbones
    Options
    Hi part of bring ketogenic is natural intermittent fasting. This is when you loose weight because you are burning fat. Ride it out; don't force it but when it happens it is wonderful. I eat at about 11 am and 7 pm naturally. If I'm hungry I eat. I am fully adapted and have been VLCK for over 2 years. I feel amazing!

Yes I've noticed some people talking about going 30 hours or more without eating. I'll have to eat dinner or my husband will call a doctor on me, but it's good to know if I don't feel like breakfast I don't have to eat it.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    LOL at your husband.

I've gone from 4 meals and several snacks per day (pre LCHF) to 2 meals a day with a very rare snack. I would *never* have believed this possible in my sugar/carb addiction days.

If you haven't already, you'll find that hunger on LCHF is not the urgent, help-or-I'll-die, nerve-jangling, sugar-slumps experience it was with a carb diet.
  • glossbones
    Options
    If you haven't already, you'll find that hunger on LCHF is not the urgent, help-or-I'll-die, nerve-jangling, sugar-slumps experience it was with a carb diet.

I have definitely felt that already! Even when I was "Low" carb (<120g/day) I had the shakes if I got hungry. I can't actually remember it happening at all on the <30g/day I've been maintaining.
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm about two weeks in since I started and had the keto flu for about a week and a half of that. It was brutal but I'm glad I stuck it through. Yesterday was the first day much like the O.P.'s that I felt great! I felt years younger and accomplished good things all day. :)
    So far today it remains great. I am even going to resume my exercise routine!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am slowly getting back into the IF....not anything much but coffee until 11ish then usually done by 7ish. I do still get the "Give me food or I'll cut you!" feeling, but that is only after weight lifting days at the gym. It doesn't feel the same as the carb crashes from before.
  • alicepalmerrussell442
    Options
    Blood sugar instability is caused by eating too often and relying on sugar but as you regain health you regain stability in this area. You can not burn fat and sugar at the same time so when you allow yourself the time between meals/snacks you can burn fat. I do eat when I'm hungry but I eat fat.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. My energy with this woe has just skyrocketed. Weekends USED to be for napping, and sleeping in, and now, I'm up early cleaning the kitchen and cooking and out and about. I actually TRIED taking a nap the other day and couldn't. Go figure. :)
  • MrsNonsense
    MrsNonsense Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Question for you guys, I've been feeling great so far, except for the last two days when I've noticed my energy going down a bit, not as much as before I started LCHF, but I'm not as hype. I've also woken up two mornings in a row with my stomach feeling a bit off... Both nights before bed I've had 2tbsp of peanut butter I bought at whole foods. 17g fat, 7g carb, 3G fiber, 1g sugar, 7g protein. Could this be the reason or I'm just freaking out? I've also noticed that my cravings are just a bit stronger than the last few days. I'm on day
    Normal or should I blame that 1g sugar?
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem a few weeks ago. When I cut out the peanut butter and any fake sugars, the cravings were gone again. Today is the first day I've had pb again. We'll see how that goes. As for long spans between eating, I just do whatever my body wants. Some days 5 hours between meals just isn't an option for me. I'm too hungry. What I find though is that I could easily do all of my eating within a 5-6 hour period. Leaving a longer fast over night. Individual preference.