Visceral Fat - So Interesting & So Overlooked

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Other than it looks like I swallowed a soccer ball I am OK with my shape. It has to be due to visceral fat in my case.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

This is actually really interesting... My body distribution looks very much like the 45% Body Fat, which is where I should be, between 40-45% (I was at 48% last time I was "measured" and I've dropped a bit since then... But by the definition, I'm still in the 50% plus Body Fat category. Kind of strange for the discrepancy due to my hips/waist. I guess that means I carry more abdominal fat than the "standard..." Interesting.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    By the measurements that go with this chart I'm 45%, but I don't look like that, I look more like the 35% one. I guess they don't (can't) allow for different bone structures.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I think the chart is very generic. There was a post in the main forums recently discussing bf% vs how people looked compared to that chart, and someone linked to a post where a woman had her numbers machine measured at 35%, but she looked more like the 20% image.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    GrannyMayOz - thank you so much for posting this!! The video was excellent.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Someone posted this video in the group yesterday (and I can’t find it again). <snip>

Granny,

I just watched this video and it was marvelous. Since I started this diet and posting on Keto & LCD I have been pushing intermittent fasting. I have been blogging about it for months. Its great to see a doctor confirm what I already have known & practiced since going on the diet almost 7 months ago.

And to boot, my story is more dramatic than almost every patient he touted. He only had one example of a patient that lost more weight than I have, but that patients Hca1 was 7 and he reduced it to 6.6. Mine has been as high as 15+. Last year it was 9. It is now 6.6.

Fasting is the ultimate "accessory" to the Keto diet. It has broken every single "stall" and gives me fast weight loss.

Fat, diabetic, insulin resistant people should pay heed to what the doc is saying. I will put links to my somewhat older blogs that mention my fasting below my signature.

Thank you Granny for posting this video.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
    Blog #9 Fasting, Diabetic ~ Glucose/Sugar Levels
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites

• GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @DittoDan I'm so pleased you found the video beneficial, and even more for the amazing success that you've achieved for yourself since finding keto, congratulations.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    my measurements have me closer to 40, but I look like 35.
    I followed some iof the links and I did the body weight calculations and wohoo, the numbers are exactly what my goals are set at.

Maybe I'm not seeing any changes yet because Im losing Visceral fat that I can't see.
    Yeah, that's the story I'm sticking to ;-)
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    <snip>
    Maybe I'm not seeing any changes yet because Im losing Visceral fat that I can't see.
    Yeah, that's the story I'm sticking to ;-)

I'm pretty sure you are right there Kuranda.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Our Tanita body fat scale is horrible (it throws totally random #s out without any consistency -- not even a useful indicator of relative change over time. Other BF scales we've had over the years have been much less erratic. Maybe we got a bum one, since Tanita is supposed to be a decent product), but from the photos I've looked at, I suspect I'm ~25% (143#s, just <5'4"). My goal weight and body fat put me right ~18-20% at 130#s, which is right where I'd like to be. I tend to carry a decent amount of muscle and have always looked smaller than the scale would suggest. My BMI just barely is in "healthy," in spite of the fact that I can fit into some size 6 bottoms.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I watched the video and it was great. I also watched a couple others that were part of his series. The concept of fasting intrigues me, and the idea that bariatric surgery works because of the drastically lowered intake of food, not the surgery itself. So why is it that I've been told by doctors and have read all over the place that if I eat less than 1200 cals/day my body will think it's being starved and will shut down? It seems to me that Dr. Jung is saying just the opposite. Did I understand him correctly? Do I need to be concerned about keeping my calories at my calculated amount?
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @zoom Oh gosh, don't you hate unreliable things that should give you solid facts? I'm muscular and with a solid build - not that anyone can see much of the muscle yet because of my fat layer ;) The 'ideal body weights/BMI/etc' are made for some random mythical ethereal woman IMHO.

@wheatless I'm not sure of my facts here, but of the people I know who've had bariatric surgery, they are put on a lot of high density supplements to get their vitamins and minerals. Could it be possible those supplements reduce their required calories per day? If those supplements are healthy (which I kinda doubt) where do we get our hands on some ;) Then we can eat a tiny amount and not bother about food - the best way to heal from food cravings in my OTT mind B) So, in my own opinion, you do need to keep your calories at a reasonable level and, if you are under goal regularly, perhaps decent supplementation is a wise move? Starting to think I've been dangerously low on magnesium since going keto. Either that or I'm having a bad reaction to coffee. Working on figuring out which one (or both) right now.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    @GrannyMayOz I've been keeping my calories pretty close to goal level and I also take supplements. Yes, a good magnesium is so important on keto. I feel the effect if I forget. I keep wondering if my potassium is low, but supplementation can be tricky so don't want to do much of that. Seems like so many potassium-loaded foods are loaded with carbs. :( Hope you get the coffee/mag mystery solved soon!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @wheatless I'm glad to hear all that you are achieving for your health goals. It's so difficult to know what supplements are beneficial, or even needed. I dearly wish it was easier to tell what we need, or not. I have been so incredibly tired and washed out for a lot of the time since I went keto. A very long way from a good advert for this WOE! I'm definitely brighter today and woke happily after 7.5 hours sleep. Still wouldn't say i'm bounding with energy and getting all the housework done yet though ;) Patience is not my biggest virtue LOL

My weight loss is fascinating. Only 3 kgs (6.6 lbs) down in 54 days of LCHF. My tummy, at the fattest part just below my belly button, is only down 2 cm (less than an inch) in that time. I only started measuring my waist 2 weeks ago but there's been no change in that. It got larger, and then returned to start. Yet I look slimmer. My face, neck, boobs, back, midriff are all noticeably leaner. Hubby says I've lost weight at the top of my legs - they are traditionally very large, with totally stubborn fat deposits LOL I'm wishing now I'd measured more than just my tummy when I started this. Yet despite all of the health problems I've had along the way in the past 54 days (when I'm normally never ever sick in any way!), and all of the lack of energy (magnesium deficiency?) I still feel 'better' somehow without all the sugar and carbs in my life. I can't define it, but something is improved.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Chicken thigh, with skin, has almost 400 mg of potassium and 9% of daily recommended magnesium (don't have the mg in front of me - looked it up, it says 36 mg - not sure what the total recommended is). Not sure about values without the skin...

I noticed this when logging it the other day... Just an FYI...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    According to a search: dark leafy greens, nuts and seeds, fish, avocado, and dark chocolate are naturally high in magnesium. Other carbier options are: bananas, low-fat yogurt, and soybeans...
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Thanks @KnitOrMiss! I've been eating the thighs w/ skin since starting LCHF; also lots of dark greens and fish. I love nuts, but I try to keep <20 carbs and it's hard to fit them in most of the time. Allergic to avocado & bananas. Just got some 90% chocolate. Hopefully I'm getting enough potassium from my diet but it always seems to low according to MFP. Yet I realize that potassium isn't always included in the nutrient lists.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Coffee has potassium which MFP completely ignores, just like bunch of other things. I've downloaded cronometer to put foods in that lack some nutrients on MFP and see the values there, it's really PITA to do but I have no options beyond searching USDA database. I wish there was an app compatible with MFP that gives proper nutrients of food.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I went to the Australian Food Standards page yesterday (thanks to Knit) and they had a spreadsheet I could download with all of the calories, vitamins etc etc in everything. I rearranged the columns a bit for my own needs, and axed some columns I don't want. Now I can search by any nutrient I want and choose foods high in that, it's fantastic! I'm slowly copying and pasting LC foods onto a second sheet, where those foods contain a nutrient I want to know about so that I'll get a nice little list of 'good ideas'.

So far I've only done foods high in Magnesium...
    Seed, pumpkin, hulled & dried, unsalted
    Seed, sunflower, unsalted
    Coffee, instant, dry powder or granules
    Seed, chia, dried
    Seaweed, nori, dried
    Nut, pine, raw, unsalted
    Peanut butter, smooth & crunchy, added sugar & salt
    Spread, yeast, vegemite, regular

Was horrified to see that the pumpkin and sunflower seeds say they're high in trans fats though!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @GrannyMayOZ I make my own Pumpkin seeds. It is easy. I even let people know I am saving the seeds around Halloween. I get as many as I can. I also save the seed from the winder squashes. Joe eats the quash I save the seed for me. I roast them in butter and seasoning low oven temp and just keep my eye on them and test until they are done. No trans fat. You are fall there now? Maybe you can load up on pumpkin.

Home made they are not as salty or hard shelled as store bought.