Anyone else had more success by adding eating window?

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
As I've had minimal weight loss since starting 5:2 (a total of just under 1lb in 3 weeks) and my total weight loss in 3.5 weeks has been just under 2lbs, I have been reading up on other ways to do this and have heard that by adding 16:8 fasts either every day or some days you can have better results. I've also read that 24 hour fasts on Fast days help too but for me that's not really practical as I workout most days.

I would be interested to hear about what works best for others and when they see the most weight loss.

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think I'm one of the few who operates with a eating window on a regular basis in this group atm. I find it convenient and natural. As many of you know, my weight loss is the very stubborn kind and I must use any available method to sweet talk my body into release fat. So if you're someone who can lose weight easily, np, but if you're someone who struggles to lose fat using only one protocol, stacking protocols might help.

I do calorie cycling (my version of 5:2), eating window (skip a meal) and LCHF. I generally start to eat somewhere between 12-8. But very often the window starts at 2-5 pm. I don't follow a strict structure, so no stressing if the window is bigger/smaller :)

We did discuss the topic of eating windows in this thread before xmas:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10030223/mice-and-16-hour-fasts/p1

Interestingly enough there's a "lifter's edition" on T-Nation based on the same study.
    TL;DR With high training regimen having an eating window from 9-12 hours combined with protein pulses containing BCAA, specifically leucine, can help achieve the holy grail of maintaining/gaining muscle while keeping fat gain at bay. FYI: They're selling their own protein shake, I'm not sure that's necessary.

It's interesting to see how preoccupied the author of the article is about insulin sensitivity.

Here's his older take on the 5:2 lifter's edition:

What I take home from this is that any dieting program can be tailored to your specific goals. You'll have to do the homework of experimenting what works for you, though :)

To understand more about why and how to do eating windows:
    leangains.com

There's also Brad Pilon's book: "Eat, Stop, Eat", which made me realize how important it is to let the body's digestive system rest for longer periods of time on occasion in order to repair metabolic function.

• loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I do better if I skip breakfast and hold off eating until 12 or 1:00 o'clock. I usually have dinner at 6:30. So I tend to do a 16-8 or a 18-6 eating window. Weekend are basically the only time I don't follow an eating window and have breakfast.
    I have found out that once I eat something than I'm hungry from that point on. And it's harder for me to control my eating.
    I also try to avoid carbs and go for protein and veggies. Carbs are where I lose control on my eating and never feel fill.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I can't do 16:8 after my fast day. I'm just too hungry. I might be able to do it on days before my fast day, but not the day after because by morning, I've already been fasting for 36 hours. I don't want to add 4 more hours on it to wait until noon to eat!
  • JAT74
    Options
    I'm now on day 2 of adding traditional IF to my 5:2 and calorie restriction diet. I'm trying to eat between 1500-1600 on non-fast days and 550 on fast days but for the last two days have added in an eating window too. On Monday I managed to fast for 16 hours and last night it was 17 hours and will stop eating by around 7.30pm today (6.5 eating window) and so far it's been quite easy.

Yesterday wasn't a fast day so I felt like I was eating loads, because it was all being eaten in a shorter space of time and I had a few snacks. I am not concerned about over snacking because as long as I can meet my macros most days in terms of protein intake and limiting carbs to under 200g and not go over calories then it should be ok, but I'll revise that as well as my calorie intake on non-fast days depending on my results. My weekly calorie average intake is only around 1350 every week at the moment and I have only lost 1lb in around 3 weeks so pretty terrible as far as I'm concerned but I'm really hoping this will help speed things up.

I looked at my calories burned last week from workouts and I was up to 4100 so I wouldn't want to be doing more exercise than that with my current calorie intake, even if those figures are slightly overestimated.

If this doesn't work, I'll have to consider dropping my average down to 1200 calories per day or less which will mean 1450 maximum on non-fast days which is doable though I'd rather not have to go there.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    @JAT7 Keep us posted! Good luck!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep us posted @JAT74. Would love to know how the eating window works for you.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Will do, I think it helps that I work from home as I can easily control the times I fast/eat. I always have at least 2 hours at lunchtime and usually have some sort of break in the morning and afternoon so I can fit in snacks then if I want to. Fast days are always easier too as I don't have temptations around me on those days ie. due to passing shops selling foods I love! Today I'm on a fast day and must have had about 15 hot drinks already!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had so much peppermint tea today that I nearly made myself sick!
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Foamroller can you explain more about your plan? i have been doing 5:2 and think it is great, but would like to add something to make the lose a little quicker.
    Do you do 16:8 everyday? but 2 of those days you eat 500 calories? do you do a 24 hour fast? what is calorie cycling?
  • JAT74
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have been doing 16:8 and some days I've even managed 18:6 every day, with possibly 1 day out of 7 where I've had something to eat a bit earlier.

Other than that I wasn't losing when eating 1550-1600 so have now reduced that to 1350-1450 on non fast days.

The weight is slowly coming off, and I'm not finding it hard to stick to an eating window or to prolong the fast for 16-18 hours. I'm not getting hungry in the mornings anymore and if I have a lot of high intensity training to do I split it into 2 sessions so I only do one before I eat that day.
  • kaytee232013
    kaytee232013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, just been reading your posts...how's it all going on the weight loss? Our TDEE numbers are very similar and the same thing happened to me when I hardly lost anything for 3 weeks basically staying the same weight and then in my weigh-in yesterday all of a sudden a 2.4lb loss shows up on the scales and I nearly fell off them in shock!

I was getting frustrated with not losing and I did an experiment and weighed every day last week and recorded the results. I've only ever been a once a week weigher and don't believe in daily weighs, but it was a very beneficial eye opener as I saw the numbers go up by 4lbs during the week and gradually down again. I also started drinking more water and I this really helped too.

Anyway, just wanted to stay stick with what you're doing, weigh after your 2nd fast of the week and you WILL see the difference!
  • Foamroller
    edited April 2015
    Options
    angela233Z wrote: »
    @Foamroller can you explain more about your plan? i have been doing 5:2 and think it is great, but would like to add something to make the lose a little quicker.
    Do you do 16:8 everyday? but 2 of those days you eat 500 calories? do you do a 24 hour fast? what is calorie cycling?

Hi Angela sweetie, sorry for late response. During the active dieting weeks I did a stack of 3 methods: 5:2, 16:8 and LCHF macros. I consistently lost 1 kg (2.2 lbs) when I shot for deficit.

Due to a lot happening in my life, I took a full diet break sometime in Nov 2014. In effect this has been a maintenance and recomp (noob muscle gain + slight fat loss). The skinny jeans that were too tight in January, fits now with no bulge.

Can you repeat your full stats please ? If you want me to, I can have a look in your diary. Or you can take a guess what you suspect is stalling you. I gather that you do all the basics, right ? weigh everything on digital scale, recalculated your TDEE, take measurements, try on skinny clothes, exercise habits etc. Just to weed out any of the usual culprits :)

In general, the #1 suspect when stalling is following the online calculator numbers blindly, from what I read on the interwebs. On Orlcam's excellent calculator you can play with your numbers and tweak them: www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

If you want to, I can flesh out a full write up on what I did and how. You may not have to do everything that I did, sometimes just doing small, but important steps like improving sleep and better stress management, make the difference. Because the parasympathetic nervous system plays a big role in regulating metabolism and therefore loss from stored fat.

I've made a playlist that specifically focuses on fat loss chemistry, if you're interested. These are only some of the factors. IMO, tailoring macros and micronutrients to YOUR body is key to both weight loss and health.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ugg - I just posted a reply and accidentally deleted it.
    I apologize if it shows up twice
    @foamroller I am actually doing ok with weight loss. My tdee is 1600 according to orlcam's calculator. I eat at TDEE 5 days a week and 2 days at 500 and am losing .5 pounds per week which makes sense.(2200 calorie deficit per week)
    I am 50 years old, 5'0" and sedentary so that accounts for the low TDEE.

I was hoping to increase my loss by using 16:8 on non-fast days. I would love to know more details of what you did. Curious how the stacking works.

thanks

Angela
  • JAT74
    Options
    Hi Katee still doing 5:2 and 16:8 and I seem to be losing a little more (closer to 1lb a week now) but the temperatures here have shot up and I tried on all my summer stuff yesterday and a lot of it is still a little tight so I really have to step things up. Last week I had a week off proper training as I got an couple of injuries thanks to a minor scrape I had while riding my scooter. I mainly just did walking and some Yoga and Pilates cos of this but tomorrow I'm back into proper training following my T25 & P90X3 hybrid. My mum is coming to visit the week after next so I'll do a back to back fast before she arrives I think.

I was getting a little frustrated with the slow weight loss the other day and one of my friends advised me to basically reduce my carbs to below 100g a day, increase protein to 120g and I'll see better results so I'm going to try that and see if it helps.
  • Foamroller
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @JAT74. Please, please read up on lowcarb before you dive into it. 100g NET starch/day is low enough to make you feel awful having Atkins flu, but too high to get into ketosis/fat burning metabolism, unless you're like a pro athlete who can eat anything... You absolutely DON'T want to be in limbo, it's a recipe for feeling terrible.

For YOU, I suggest going to 50g/day 3 weeks, then assess. You have to eat more salt, potassium and magnesium citrate or you feel terrible. This is the #1 mistake most people do on lowcarb. Depending on your macros and exercise activity it can take from 3 weeks - 2 months getting into Fat Adaptation (FA).
    Headaches, dizziness, feeling cold = take more salt.
    Cramps = more magnesium.
    Potassium to balance out salt.

To balance out the electric charge in cells, proper ratio of salt/potassium is needed. Our bodies consist of cells that change status according to electric charge. Without that balance, they don't function properly. A high carb diet is water retaining, hence the "carb bloat". Going lowcarb flushes out more of the electrolytes. FYI, this balance of electrolytes ALSO APPLIES to 5:2'ers on fasting days when cutting out starch for better satiety !

At the start performance in the gym will suffer, but when your mitochondria have reprogrammed to burn fats for energy, athletic performance, IME, are even better. I can train harder and longer than ever before. I don't run out of "energy" anymore. The only things holding me back when exercising are muscle fatigue, neuromuscular recruitment and CNS. All of which are trainable.

Here's some useful info:

Keto calculator
    Keto FAQ
    Ketogains for people who exercise a lot on lowcarb

FYI, when I adapted I was training hard and got into FA in roughly a month. Losing sense of hunger is a common symptom. I don't quite remember, but I think my carb levels at the time were somewhere between 50-70g/day, spiking up even further on very hard exercise days. IME, there's a high correlation between exercise intensity and amount of starch I can eat,while keeping ketosis as much as possible. 1 hour of dogwalking pace is not enough for ME to eat as much as I want of starch. But we're all different, so the numbers are probably different for YOU. I've upped my carbs to roughly +/- 100g/day and even though I go in and out of ketosis, the FA remains as long as I don't go on a carb-fest for days in a row. Intermittent Fasting also helps in the process of both getting into FA and remaining there, since we all go into ketosis overnight, even on a "normal" macro diet.

Read the keto FAQ, then you'll have a better basis of understanding what you're getting into if you choose to try lowcarb.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Thanks, I had no idea about all of that! I'll read up on it a bit but I don't think I'm ready to go lower than 100g carbs on my non-fast days. I generally find that on fast days carbs are 50-60g maximum anyway.

As for FA I don't know if I normally reach this point, but I have to say that since doing 16:8 or anything up to 18:6 and eating lower carb I find that my weight loss has been quicker. You're right about water retention though and I generally ignore the scales if I have a high carb day. This week hasn't been great as I had 1 day of 200g carbs and another at 150g but the other days have been fairly low.

I am not looking to go too extreme, of course I want to encourage fat loss but I don't feel happy or comfortable eating below 80g carbs on a non-fast day to be honest.

I'm by no means an athlete, I normally do a fairly high intensity workout at least 5 days a week for 30-60 minutes plus a dog walk for 1-2 hours 4 days or more every week so not sure how many grams of carbs I can get away with before it starts affecting my weight loss.

As for supplements, I have been reading up about deficiencies and I normally take a multivitamin plus Omega 3s so I am now going to add magnesium citrate and glucosamine daily too so hopefully this will all help prevent injuries and give me the energy I need. Not sure about potassium though, what foods can you get that from other than bananas?